webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > How to: Allow yourself back in when you forget your lock screen passcode
How to: Allow yourself back in when you forget your lock screen passcode
Like Tree4Likes

Old 01/02/2012, 01:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

I recently just got back my TouchPad, and since it had been a while since I used it, I completely forgot my password. After digging around the TP's filesystem, I came up with a solution.

Prerequisites
You must be able to access your TouchPad's shell. That means you need to have either Developer Mode enabled, or SSH for your TP is set up and Wi-Fi is on. To learn more about Developer Mode, see this page over at the HP webOS Developer Center. If you are using Developer Mode, you will need to have Novacom Drivers installed on your computer. Go here to get it.

If you do not have Developer Mode enabled, you may use this Activation Bypass Guide to do it. A side effect of running the bypass tool is Novacom will be enabled, allowing you to follow the steps described below. Note that activation bypass has no adverse effects on a live system, as it would already be activated or bypassed if you can set a passcode on it.

Please note that Exchange users whose device policies dictate they have a password will be unable to remove their passcodes regularly using this method.

Procedure
1. Open up a shell session. If you are using SSH, fire up your client and connect per normal. If you are using Novacom (Developer Mode), connect your TouchPad to your computer using the USB cable, and then open Novaterm by running
Code:
C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc\terminal\novaterm.bat
2. Enter the following:
Code:
# luna-send -f -n 1 palm://com.palm.systemmanager/setDevicePasscode '{"passCode":"", "lockMode":"none"}'
Do not enter the "#". It represents your shell prompt. (For those of you who have used luna-send before, you may have noticed the "-f" argument. It tells luna-send to format the output so it's more readable.) You should see the following:
Code:
{
    "returnValue": true
}
3. Check that the passcode has been removed. Enter:
Code:
# luna-send -f -n 1 palm://com.palm.systemmanager/getDeviceLockMode {}
You should see something similar to the following:
Code:
{
    "returnValue": true,
    "subscribed": false,
    "lockMode": "none",
    "policyState": "active",
    "retriesLeft": 0
}
If you see '"lockMode": "none"', that means your passcode has been successfully removed. You can now access your TouchPad by pressing the power or center button. If you still can't get in, hold the power and center button for a few seconds until the TouchPad resets type
Code:
reboot
into your prompt. (Don't use hard reset, because filesystems won't be unmounted and you'll have to wait for fs-ck to finish on the restart.)

Screenshot
wterm_2012-01-01_231000.png

Other notes
- Please do not use this to gain unauthorized access to other people's TouchPads. It is also not funny to change people's passcodes so that they can't access it, by breaking in and then setting it normally, unless it was April Fool's Day and you are certain that you can remove the passcode again.
- This trick can be seen as both a good and bad thing. It's useful to be able to get rid of the passcode instead of remote wiping a TouchPad, but it is also sort of a security risk for all those who have Developer Mode enabled. Take what you will from it.
- The commands were derived by combining luna-send and service calls from the Screen & Lock preference app. The calls can be found in the source file
Code:
/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.screenlock/source/ScreenLockPrefApp.js

Last edited by GMMan; 03/20/2013 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Replaced novacom shell instructions with path to novaterm
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kevhead, Rnp, stickerboy and 1 others like this.
Thanked by Ajax11, BAbnkr, JCPDX, kevhead, Rnp, sq5
Old 01/02/2012, 01:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

you're awesome !
tippmann15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2012, 08:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

What great timing... on Tuesday I was about to Doctor a Client's TouchPad (They had too much holiday cheer & could not remember their passcode). Just tried your step by step procedure on their TouchPad and it worked flawlessly. Much appreciated and thanks for posting...

JCPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2012, 09:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

This can be good or bad. And, I will keep this info for later...

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
e-gadget-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2012, 03:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

thanks, my b/f forgot his passcode (that he set after a few too many :/) and I will try this tonight.
froggys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/05/2012, 10:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

So glad I found this today.

I hadn't used my TP in a couple weeks and none of the passwords I tried were working, thanks so much.
Ajax11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/15/2012, 02:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

thank you!

I had accidentally forgot to unset the PIN before messing around with lunaCE and got locked out. this solved it nicely!
kevhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/05/2012, 08:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Wanted to remove PIN so I could try LunaCE. Can't remove because of exchange email.

Tried this, but got this response:

{
"returnValue": false,
"errorText": "Passcode is empty",
"errorCode": -1
}

Any thoughts?
ahershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/05/2012, 09:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Are you sure your lock mode is "none"? If you have access beyond the lock screen, you could just remove it with the Screen & Lock app.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 09/10/2012, 11:53 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Are you sure your lock mode is "none"? If you have access beyond the lock screen, you could just remove it with the Screen & Lock app.
I don't have the option to remove in Screen & Lock app. Also, although I have the option of a pass phrase, it forces a PIN.

Will it work if I put "" instead of "none" in the linux
Old 09/10/2012, 12:07 PM   #11 (permalink)

It'll probably throw an error. Could you post a screenshot so I can see exactly what you typed in and exactly what is outputted?
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 09/10/2012, 10:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

I've attached a screen shot.
Attached Images
File Type: png PIN screen Shot.png (13.9 KB, 25 views) Email Attachment
Old 09/12/2012, 11:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahershey View Post
I've attached a screen shot.
That's weird. How about setting the passcode to a string and the mode to "pin"? If that works, you should be able to unlock with the PIN.
Old 09/13/2012, 09:47 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
That's weird. How about setting the passcode to a string and the mode to "pin"? If that works, you should be able to unlock with the PIN.
I don't have a problem unlocking with my PIN, but I want to remove it so that I can try LunaCE. I can't seem to get it to remove.
Old 09/13/2012, 08:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahershey View Post
I don't have a problem unlocking with my PIN, but I want to remove it so that I can try LunaCE. I can't seem to get it to remove.
Can you set it to a different one at all?

I do have a last-ditch method where you can remove the file with the password, but you have to somehow configure the keyring database to be keyless or you'll have to reenter all your passwords.
Old 09/13/2012, 09:50 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Can you set it to a different one at all?

I do have a last-ditch method where you can remove the file with the password, but you have to somehow configure the keyring database to be keyless or you'll have to reenter all your passwords.
Yes, I can change the PIN. I can also change from PIN to password. After both changes, I ran your script and had the same response.

Not sure how to configure keyring database.
Old 09/28/2012, 12:34 PM   #17 (permalink)

Any other ideas?
Old 09/30/2012, 07:58 PM   #18 (permalink)

Hmm... I'd say just wing it. Rename /var/luna/data/.passcode to something else, and that would effectively remove your screen lock. Reboot, and check if you can still access your data. If so, re-enter your password for your accounts, and then install LunaCE.
Old 11/08/2013, 09:40 PM   #19 (permalink)

I know this is quite an old thread, but if anyone could tell me what I'm doing wrong I would appreciate it.

I have novaterm running and I've put in the code from step 2, the output is command not found.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by redno30; 11/09/2013 at 10:28 AM.
redno30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2013, 07:02 AM   #20 (permalink)

Maybe you're still in Windows? Are you on the command prompt of the Touchpad?
poehoes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lock screen, password, reset

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0