Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #1  
    I've been using the TP for a little over a week and will say that the browser is the worst browser I have ever used on any computing device and the fact that it made it out of HPs grasp is absolutely baffling to me.

First of all, I will be on any webpage for a minute tops and it blurs for no reason, and I can scroll but not do anything else with the page. I have to wait minutes before it readjusts itself. The redrawing is horrendous and I'm overclocked at 1.5 ghz. I havn't been this mad since I bought an Android device two years ago. I'm appalled.

Otherwise the TouchPad is amazing! Except the build quality is weird. Where the bezel of the screen meets the edge of the shell there is some gap. It's weird to look at.
    You are using 3.0.4?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    The browser sucks, but the blurry issue isn't happening on my browser.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Nor is this an issue in my browser, but I agree that an improved browser would be nice.
  5.    #5  
    I'm using 3.0.4. I doctored twice already (For other reasons) but the issue remains.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    I often experience problems with my browser too. It will often randomly freeze when I try to scroll to fast. The other feature I hate is that you have to bring up the card to load it when opening pages in new cards.
    TouchReader often insists on opening an external link in TWO cards at once: an already open one and a new one that it launches.

I experience the blurring sometimes but things are still readable. It seems to happen most often in Communities in the message frame on the right.
    Install the latest build of android cm7.

I'm using dolphin browser right now and it's fantastic. Still boot back into webos every now and then, but it was a great move to install cm7
    I know what you mean about the blury browser. It seems to happen when I'm opening a lot of links in new cards, which leads me to think it is a memory issue. A similar quark was also true of the original pre, hopefully we'll discover the cure as webOS progresses.

stick with it,

Hans
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    First of all, I will be on any webpage for a minute tops and it blurs for no reason, and I can scroll but not do anything else with the page. I have to wait minutes before it readjusts itself. The redrawing is horrendous and I'm overclocked at 1.5 ghz. I havn't been this mad since I bought an Android device two years ago. I'm appalled.
    I've never seen this, and I've had a touchpad for over 3 months. Something has to be wrong with your device, though I'm not sure exactly what would cause that particularly given that you've doctored and the problem persists.
    Otherwise the TouchPad is amazing! Except the build quality is weird. Where the bezel of the screen meets the edge of the shell there is some gap. It's weird to look at.
    that sounds like an assembly error... was it new, refurb or used? photo?
    Quote Originally Posted by UCLAKoolman View Post

I'm using dolphin browser right now and it's fantastic. Still boot back into webos every now and then, but it was a great move to install cm7
    The new Xron build of CM7 is even smoother. Also give Opera Mobile a try since it has the smoothest performance of all Android browsers (the only one on par with iOS).
    Mutoidi likes this.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chronoreverse View Post
    The new Xron build of CM7 is even smoother. Also give Opera Mobile a try since it has the smoothest performance of all Android browsers (the only one on par with iOS).
    On par with IOS Safari? Dolphin HD is much better than Safari. I have a few friends with Iphones and Ipads and they much prefer Dolphin HD, but stupid Apple chooses to not allow a third party browser to be the default browser, like in Android.
    dignitary likes this.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by UCLAKoolman View Post

I hate Android and WebOS does everything I need but better. Thanks for the suggestion though!
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    I hate Google and WebOS does everything I need but better. Thanks for the suggestion though!
    Fixed that to represent my personal opinion.
    Who are you TC? Wolverine? lol Unacceptable!!!
    snackerdoodle,

I'd like to point out that while technically trailing behind, much of the world is still targetting IE 7 and IE 8 as their primary audience, which are lightyears behind webOS 1's browser. Though all your points are still valid, I don't think there's a website other than Google's mishmash of god only knows what, that I've run into that doesn't work on the TouchPad.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    I get blurring when I open a link in a new card and go back to the original card
    Quote Originally Posted by snackerdoodle View Post
    Opera Mobile is easily the best standards-compliant and most capable mobile browser I've ever used, with Firefox 9 on Android a very close second (I can't stress how close, actually). Dolphin is merely a layer on top of the Android stock browser not unlike "Advanced Browser" on webOS, except it Dolphin does a hell of a lot more.

IMO, the browser is easily (and ironically) the weakest point of webOS, and I say this as a web developer of 15 years and web user since the days where all we had was NCSA Mosaic--the precursor to the modern web browser--in 1993.

Enough conjecture, though; let's look at some real benchmarks taken by an incredibly reputable industry source: the venerable Anandtech.

AnandTech - The HP TouchPad Review: webOS on the Big Screen

Do note that it doesn't win any benchmark in regards to HTML5--webOS' supposed bread and butter. In fact, it loses out to iOS, RIM and Android all over the place, with only "best" marks in its performance with Flash, a now-discontinued technology on mobile devices.

If you want to test against these benchmarks again with 3.0.4 versus 3.0, you'll find it isn't much better and in come cases unchanged, especially when it comes to standards support.
    Worse, it's still by far the slowest on any tablet in the market. You can talk about how fast it "seems" compared to other tablets based on your opinion, but benchmarks objectively tell the tale.

And if you want to talk webOS 1.x and 2.x, the browser is just utterly embarrassing compared to modern web browsers on mobile platforms: The HTML5 test - How well does your browser support HTML5? You want to talk about OS fragmentation, look at the stock browser and lack of alternatives on any given OS platform. webOS fails miserably in this regard and no two versions are even remotely the same in what they support.

For a "web OS" webOS has consistently trailed behind in extremely vital areas necessary to truly advance mobile web development into the HTML5 age, and I'm talking about sites everyone use, not webOS apps.
    While I agree that the browser on the TP could be better, HTML5 isn't even a finalized standard yet.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    I agree that the web browser is fairly terrible IMO. It takes a horrendously long time to load/render many pages - it's the one thing that holds me back from staying with WebOS instead of moving to ICS when it's released. With all the talk of open source I would love it if someone could port a decent browser to WebOS and find a way to create a patch to allow a change of the default browser.
    brshoemak,

Maybe you should hammer the Opera guys on their Facebook, Twitter, and Opera.com.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast