Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    the browser for me is a lot worse on 3.04 as well, especially on vBulletin sites such as this. Driving me nuts. I have reverted to 3.03 and each time the browser returns to being ok. Once I go to 3.04, I get page load errors, lag on page load and slow responses. Not sure what has changed but it happens everytime I go to 3.04. Going to revert again tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    brshoemak,

Maybe you should hammer the Opera guys on their Facebook, Twitter, and Opera.com.
    Opera ported their browser to BeOS back in the day, so I think the chance of giving something with substantially more users a little love is possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
    On par with IOS Safari? Dolphin HD is much better than Safari. I have a few friends with Iphones and Ipads and they much prefer Dolphin HD, but stupid Apple chooses to not allow a third party browser to be the default browser, like in Android.
    I'm talking about smoothness and not features/interface (although Boat Browser has a better interface to Dolphin imo).

Except for the models of Android that have webkit acceleration on the stock browser (I think the Galaxy S phones do), Dolphin isn't even close to as smooth especially as you load up larger sites (XDA forums' desktop site is a good example).

If you want a good test, try Vellamo on the Market. Run the three "flinger" tests and see if your device gets 60fps.
    I would truly like to see Dolphin HD for webOS. I like it better on Cyanogenmod than Firefox or Chrome.
    **Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!**

As a top contributor to the HP Consumer Support Forums, HP provides me access to the Tochpad at no charge so I may better respond to the questions raised on the Forum.
    DizWhiz likes this.
    As a Die Hard Firefox user I would like to see it offer a tablet version for the TP. I see they have a version for Andoid.
    Last edited by tracks914; 01/03/2012 at 09:20 AM.
    As a Die Hard Firefox user I would like to see it offer a tablet version for the TP. I see they have a version for Andoid.
    Stay tuned. I think that is going to be one of the advantages of open source, choices.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    hans109h likes this.
    Global Posts
    342 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tracks914 View Post
    This x1000! The only real sticking point (besides my constant audio distortion problem) is the browser. If we had Dolphin HD I'd never think about porting Android onto it. While I'm happy the CM7 team is trying to get it running smoothly it's terrible compared to the current WebOS version.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    I've been using the TP for a little over a week and will say that the browser is the worst browser I have ever used on any computing device and the fact that it made it out of HPs grasp is absolutely baffling to me.

First of all, I will be on any webpage for a minute tops and it blurs for no reason, and I can scroll but not do anything else with the page. I have to wait minutes before it readjusts itself. The redrawing is horrendous and I'm overclocked at 1.5 ghz. I havn't been this mad since I bought an Android device two years ago. I'm appalled.

Otherwise the TouchPad is amazing! Except the build quality is weird. Where the bezel of the screen meets the edge of the shell there is some gap. It's weird to look at.
    i installed android in 10 mins and have never been happier with my touchpad, i can finally access all the websites i wanted to... funny that, a web browser tablet that cant even do that!! HP deserve to burn in the fiery pits of hell for this pile of poo as it comes out of the box, i shouldnt have to modify it to make it do basic things.
  9.    #29  
    I installed Cyanogen and I can tell you right now I was absolutely disgusted. It's ugly, and nothing works (like Android usually is). I tried MUIU which is also ugly, then I tried XRON or whatever it's called. They were all ugly and failed to please me. WebOS works 10x better and looks better.

If you say Android is better for the TouchPad, you clearly don't know what a functioning device is. WebOS was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy faster. The browser in Android is even worse!
    I will never touch Android even with a 500 foot pole.
    The best part about installing android on your touchpad? You can still boot into webOS!!

While webOS does a lot of things smoothly, the browser just plain sucks. Advanced browser is ok but suffers from lag and bugs.

I love my touchpad, and I'm very glad I am able to switch over to android to play some games, browse some sites, or watch Netflix, then switch back to webOS to read in the kindle app or type out a document in openoffice and save directly to dropbox. I use an iPhone as well, so I'm a connoisseur of all the great mobile OSes! Unless things progress with WebOS on the Touchpad now that it's gone open source, having android available on this device really adds some extra value. Love it or hate it (I can't see myself using an android phone for the time being), android is becoming a full featured, widely supported system.

I'm typing this message out on my touchpad in CM7 alpha 3.5 using dolphin browser. I prefer webOS's keyboard, but autocorrect is laggy and annoying. Overclocked to 1.6 Ghz and running AWD Launcher Ex, the touchpad runs great.
    Last edited by UCLAKoolman; 01/03/2012 at 04:12 PM.
    Type text assist and turn off auto correct in the window.
    Something went wrong with this feature in 3.04, I hope they get it back on track in the next iteration of the software.
    tracks914 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by leebtyler View Post
    i installed android in 10 mins and have never been happier with my touchpad, i can finally access all the websites i wanted to... funny that, a web browser tablet that cant even do that!! HP deserve to burn in the fiery pits of hell for this pile of poo as it comes out of the box, i shouldnt have to modify it to make it do basic things.
    Well, at least I'm a fan of the warm weather. I know you'd like to think Android is perfect I'm willing to bet there are things that just don't work the way everyone wants them to.

You don't have to modify it out of the box to do basic things, but then again, my definition of basic may be different than yours.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    laserboy likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by UCLAKoolman View Post
    I prefer webOS's keyboard, but autocorrect is laggy and annoying
    You probably like the dedicated number row (I know I missed that)? Try Thumb Keyboard. You can put numbers into the "extra" row on top =)

I installed Cyanogen and I can tell you right now I was absolutely disgusted. It's ugly, and nothing works (like Android usually is).
    I challenge you to come up with an extensive list of things that don't work. There are, of course, bugs in areas, but you're coming across as if that isn't the case in WebOS.
    Last edited by chronoreverse; 01/03/2012 at 04:47 PM.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by chronoreverse View Post
    You probably like the dedicated number row (I know I missed that)? Try Thumb Keyboard. You can put numbers into the "extra" row on top =)

I challenge you to come up with an extensive list of things that don't work. There are, of course, bugs in areas, but you're coming across as if that isn't the case in WebOS.
    • Connection is lost constantly, in every app
    • Browser + Phone + Google apps force close constantly
    • USB debugging turns on and off as it pleases
    • "Connection timed out" in Market after seconds of use
    • Hit the install button on an app in the market, "Market has stopped working."
    • Easily vulnerable to malware
    • Google Maps fails to retrieve my location 98% of the time
    • Android runs applications in the background so horribly that it freezes the entire system
    • Launcher force close (not on TouchPad but in general)
    • Honeycomb, along with builds of Gingerbread either don't know how to handle battery life properly or Android so terribly constructed it just sucks it up without a care in the world

There ARE obviously bugs in WebOS but none of them are as big as the ones in Android. Malware I'm sure could be an issue if WebOS had a larger user base but it helps when applications are using web technologies, not Java.
    auTONYmous likes this.
    • Connection is lost constantly, in every app
    • Browser + Phone + Google apps force close constantly
    • USB debugging turns on and off as it pleases
    • "Connection timed out" in Market after seconds of use
    • Hit the install button on an app in the market, "Market has stopped working."
    • Easily vulnerable to malware
    • Google Maps fails to retrieve my location 98% of the time
    • Android runs applications in the background so horribly that it freezes the entire system
    • Launcher force close (not on TouchPad but in general)
    • Honeycomb, along with builds of Gingerbread either don't know how to handle battery life properly or Android so terribly constructed it just sucks it up without a care in the world

There ARE obviously bugs in WebOS but none of them are as big as the ones in Android. Malware I'm sure could be an issue if WebOS had a larger user base but it helps when applications are using web technologies, not Java.
    Looks like you're either have a broken Android phone or you're lying through your teeth.

No device could perform as badly as you claim and stay on the market without a class action suit. Why haven't you either returned your phone or taken it for warranty repair/replacement if it's so obviously broken?

The common complaints about Android are that:
    (1) It's slow or stutters
    (2) An app isn't available or compatible for your model
    (3) The interface is clunky

These are true and are clear faults of Android. Most of your list is not.

So what's your phone? I'll help you troubleshoot this issue since it's not common to Android. I'll even help you retrieve and post your logcat in here since that will keep track of things like force closes.

We're in the age of the Internet where it's trivially easy to verify and find information. Problems like these can easily either be fixed or verified as an issue.
    Last edited by chronoreverse; 01/04/2012 at 05:22 PM.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by chronoreverse View Post
    Looks like you're either have a broken Android phone or you're lying through your teeth.

No device could perform as badly as you claim and stay on the market without a class action suit. Why haven't you either returned your phone or taken it for warranty repair/replacement if it's so obviously broken?

The common complaints about Android are that:
    (1) It's slow or stutters
    (2) An app isn't available or compatible for your model
    (3) The interface is clunky

These are true and are clear faults of Android. Most of your list is not.

So what's your phone? I'll help you troubleshoot this issue since it's not common to Android. I'll even help you retrieve and post your logcat in here since that will keep track of things like force closes.

We're in the age of the Internet where it's trivially easy to verify and find information. Problems like these can easily either be fixed or verified as an issue.
    Why would I lie through my teeth? Android is free for manufacturers to install on their devices so clearly it is going to be very popular. The one device I have come to love is the Galaxy Nexus, and even then I have a bone to pick with the design of the user interface. I'm a freshmen major in computer science and it's only been a couple months but I have come to discover that some of the problems that are commonly found in Android can be avoided if you carefully build your software. Why should Android, with 1.5+ ghz processors on the market, stutter? At all? Compared to a year old iPhone 4 or my Pre 2? It shouldn't. I have owned a Droid Thunderbolt, Droid X, and the original Droid. They all had problems with foreclosing applications (after multiple resets and installation of various ROMS [except for the Droid X whose bootloader remains locked]). Their overall connection via 3G, 4G, and even WiFi was absolutely astonishing. My senior year last year all of my peers who were technologically ignorant would say things like "I've tried the Android dude and it's not cool. The iPhone is awesome why don't you just get one?" or "Oh my god it restarted by itself AGAIN while I was on Facebook!" or the classic, "I charged it last night and it's only 2nd period and it's at 30%! What is wrong with this thing???"

I'm so disappointed it has the popularity it does. People are bamboozled into thinking it's the "greatest operating system ever!" because it's "open and free!" and you can "install roms and root and become a hacker and a software engineer and a geek blah blah blah!!!!!!!!!!!"

But I digress, Google is probably laughing at their headquarters screaming "Jokes on you! We're making billions from people who don't know the finer things in life!"

webOS, WP7, and iOS are all superior to Android when the apps are removed. Android has some really great applications! I would kill for the Facebook app for Honeycomb. Their Netflix app is also designed very well.

Either way every OS has it's flaws but Android to me is pure garbage. Here's to hoping whatever dessert is after Icecream Sandwich will bring the final improvements Android needs to succeed (metaphorically for me) in my eyes.
    I think I'm one of the few that likes the browser more than any other browser. My main choice when using Android is Opera. Dolphin browser has a lot of features but it's also clunky and not intuitive. Opera is simple and yet has decent features.

As far as the blurring; this happens to me when I have a lot of windows open, especially windows with images. I do think it has to do with memory since there's only a certain amount allocated to video, it might unload it and reload it when you get back to the card. You can refresh and it should make things look fine ago, but of course, that's not exactly a fix.
    Why would I lie through my teeth?
    Because you say "I have owned a Droid Thunderbolt, Droid X, and the original Droid. They all had problems with foreclosing applications" when that can't have been true (to the degree you claim).

You are literally claiming that everything doesn't work. That is a VERY high claim as opposed to "clunky interface" which I think anyone who's fair would agree to (you'll notice that I clearly specified that Android has a clunky interface).

Battery life is also a common issue with Android phones. However, the Droid's have longer talk time than even the iPhone 4 and relatively decent battery life in all other aspects. If you really owned those, then battery life would have been the least of your concerns.

Therefore, your anecdotal evidence is only as good as mine: "I have three Android devices in my household and know at least a dozen friends with Android phones that have little issues". But we can go to the various Android forums and see what the real complaints are.

Here we can easily see that people DON'T have their "phone app force-close all the time" or "USB debugging turns off and on randomly". We only have the usual complaints (battery life poor, clunky interface).

Here's the final kicker. If my FIRST Android phone was an expensive Droid and it REALLY did perform horribly like your alleged one did, why would I have gone on to not ONE but TWO further ones?
    Last edited by chronoreverse; 01/05/2012 at 10:40 AM.
    • 1.Connection is lost constantly, in every app
    • 2.Browser + Phone + Google apps force close constantly
    • 3.USB debugging turns on and off as it pleases
    • 4."Connection timed out" in Market after seconds of use
    • 5.Hit the install button on an app in the market, "Market has stopped working."
    • 6.Easily vulnerable to malware
    • 7.Google Maps fails to retrieve my location 98% of the time
    • 8.Android runs applications in the background so horribly that it freezes the entire system
    • 9.Launcher force close (not on TouchPad but in general)
    • 10.Honeycomb, along with builds of Gingerbread either don't know how to handle battery life properly or Android so terribly constructed it just sucks it up without a care in the world
    1. I have never lost a connection in an app, though I have had some force closes. Apps crash in WebOS as well.
    2. The WebOS browser crashes just as often as Dolphin Browser HD (Which is VERY rarely). Dolphin Browser doesn't lag like the WebOS one, however, and loads pages MUCH faster.
    3. I have NEVER had that happen (What build were you running?!)
    4. So what?! Load up the market again. This is hardly a reason to not use CM7.
    The rest of your points are really nit-picking and bickering. If you install a task-killer widget you can clear out the RAM with the tap of a button.

YOU CAN STILL USE WEBOS AFTER YOU INSTALL ANDROID ON YOUR TOUCHPAD! I do!

It's silly to think that because an app may force close once in a while you would completely shut yourself out of the enormous app catalog and functionality that android brings to the Touchpad. Hell, if I could install iOS on my Touchpad, I would too.

The point of this thread isn't about WebOS vs. Android, but that the Web Browser in WebOS in unacceptable. You can easily improve your browsing experience by installing android and loading up one of the many better browsers available, including Opera and Dolphin.
    Last edited by UCLAKoolman; 01/05/2012 at 11:16 AM.
    Wow! Mods, can we stay on topic here? Why are we debating about Android overall in a Touchpad forum on a thread about the webOS stock browser?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast