Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 21 ... LastLast
Like Tree137Likes
    It's clear, outside of you being a self appointed argument expert, that you know NOTHING about marketing, BUDGETS and how it works at a company - which is where the point started.

It's clear you haven't answered his question and seem to deflect every time you are successfully challenged on a issue. You would make an excellent American politician.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    It's clear you haven't answered his question and seem to deflect every time you are successfully challenged on a issue. You would make an excellent American politician.

What is this question?
    What is this question?
    You quoted it in your last post to C-Note so you should know what it is. Just look back at your own work...

ok... ok!! i'll admit it... IT FLOPPED!!

happy now?!

Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    The comments are kind of funny, people saying IT WAS NOT A FLOP! IT SOLD OUT EVERYWHERE! I mean come on, even the most faithful in here can admit it flopped. Doesn't mean it was a terrible product or any less useful because it flopped, but ... it flopped.
    You quoted it in your last post to C-Note so you should know what it is. Just look back at your own work...

I have answered that. Advertising is part of the marketing dept. and is under the head of marketing in terms of budget and approvals.
    mister2d likes this.
    The comments are kind of funny, people saying IT WAS NOT A FLOP! IT SOLD OUT EVERYWHERE! I mean come on, even the most faithful in here can admit it flopped. Doesn't mean it was a terrible product or any less useful because it flopped, but ... it flopped.
    Not to many folks here are denying that. If that was the only thing this thread was about, a yes or no answer on whether it flopped, this thread would be shorter than it is. The point of contention is why it flopped. It is a great product despite its flaws. However, some people here seem to live in a utopian society were only great product succeed and only mediocre products fail. They can't seem to accept that a good product will fail when it lacks support or is mismanaged and a mediocre product will succeed when it has a ton of support and is managed well.

C-Note likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    ok... ok!! i'll admit it... IT FLOPPED!!

happy now?!
    If HP decided to start selling it again, would that be like what Romney does, which is they flip-flopped?
    I have answered that. Advertising is part of the marketing dept. and is under the head of marketing in terms of budget and approvals.
    I don't think the question was about corporate structure. It was about the difference between marketing and advertising.

A company can build awareness for a product but it can't force people to buy it or have positive word of mouth about it.

The old saying applies - You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
    I don't think the question was about corporate structure. It was about the difference between marketing and advertising.

As advertising is a huge part of marketing a product, I respectfully disagree with your statement.

i liked the commentary

actually if they did start selling again... you'd think they'd learn after the first two attempts (which hp was part of the second)... i'd think they'd learn enough that they would be much more prepared. but question is how much time it would take.

Quote Originally Posted by nusome4 View Post
    If HP decided to start selling it again, would that be like what Romney does, which is they flip-flopped?
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    So they are not the SAME. There is a difference between 'part of' and 'the same'. It does make a difference in the dissecting the issue at hand:

Marketing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Advertising - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If we are discussing why HP failed, it is an important and significant difference. Again, advertising was present (if or not we liked it), but the marketing was pitiful. Is this an incorrect statement?

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    As advertising is a huge part of marking a product, I respectfully disagree with your statement.
    Your statement is not a disagreement with me. I did not ask the question, I only provided some clarity. However I will play your game. Seeing that you stated that advertising is a huge part of marketing (corrected spelling) a product, you in essence agree that there is a difference between the two. A tire (advertising) is part of a car (marketing) but it is not the whole car. There is a clear difference between the two that you fail to admit directly.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    So they are not the SAME. There is a difference between 'part of' and 'the same'. It does make a difference in the dissecting the issue at hand:

Marketing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Advertising - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If we are discussing why HP failed, it is an important and significant difference. Again, advertising was present (if or not we liked it), but the marketing was pitiful. Is this an incorrect statement?

C
    What are you claiming was the pitiful marketing - if you are separating it from advertising?

What do you believe was the advertising component?
    Your statement is not a disagreement with me. I did not ask the question, I only provided some clarity. However I will play your game. Seeing that you stated that advertising is a huge part of marketing (corrected spelling) a product, you in essence agree that there is a difference between the two. A tire (advertising) is part of a car (marketing) but it is not the whole car. There is a clear difference between the two that you fail to admit directly.

You are incorrect. The marketing of a product may be advertising heavy, but it's still the marketing of the product.
    mister2d likes this.
    It is a great product despite its flaws.
    That's just your opinion, not everyone's opinion.

They can't seem to accept that a good product will fail when it lacks support or is mismanaged and a mediocre product will succeed when it has a ton of support and is managed well.
    Give some examples of a mediocre product that succeeded over a product that failed that was supposed to be better.

Please don't use Apple, because a product is more than just specs that are better. Apple makes products for the masses that are easy to use, well designed, and just works and not for geeks that want to tinker.

Just for added clarification, JD Power and Associates does surveys on all kinds of products from the masses on how they rate the products they use...

Gadgetbox - iPhone again No. 1 in customer satisfaction: J.D. Power

For the sixth straight time in three years, Apple's iPhone ranks highest in customer satisfaction for smartphones, according to J.D. Power and Associates' 2011 U.S. Wireless Smartphone Customer Satisfaction Study.
    I don't think a mediocre product gets rated highest 6 times in a row.

Looking forward to your list.
    A company can build awareness for a product but it can't force people to buy it or have positive word of mouth about it.

The old saying applies - You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
    So you are starting to get it. If you mis-identify your market, it's needs and what it's values are; you can have all of the advertising in the world (even $500 million worth) but it won't help.

If you don't see the shifts that take place in any market, the landscape will change under your feet... and advertising will not save you.

That was a management failure - Was their market:

• The value consumer, looking for a good deal?
    • The Business person - which was Palm's previous demographic?,
    • The Sports fan?, The Student?, The 'Mom'? (remember that one ugh!),
    • Even worse, 'the Mobile Accomplisher'? (whatever that was supposed to be)
    • The geek?
    • The Yoga loving, Riverstone carrying nature guy?
    • People attracted to the Borg Queen?

Nobody knows, because they didn't know. It's kind of like those people who have a good idea , get some money, do no market research, open a store front in a mall ... and are gone in a year.

THAT is the difference between marketing and advertising. And HP should have know that - or they may have assumed their muscle (put 500,000 in Best Buy) would carry the day.

C
    What are you claiming was the pitiful marketing - if you are separating it from advertising?

What do you believe was the advertising component?
    Read the links, they will explain everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    So you are starting to get it.
    Please stop with your incorrect, self important insults.
    Are we approaching the ****** moment? Time to lock the thread, eh, mods?

Last edited by GreenHex; 01/04/2012 at 08:08 PM. Reason: ****** = h i t l e r, didn't know that was a banned word.
    Game over!