Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
Like Tree137Likes
    The Touchpad was priced in line with every other tablet on the market except for the cheapie brands that most people don't want.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post

No amount of advertising will sell fart flavored grapes!
    LOL!!! Never heard that one before. Where can I get some?

But I do agree. Love 'em, hate 'em, or neutral... it was the advertising coupled with the product that worked.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Matias saw the writing on the wall twice. Once with Danger and then with Palm. Now he's finally with a winner. He's like LeBron James on the Miami Heat. Matias decided to take his talents to Team Google.
    In my experience, advertising continues only of the product sells. The advertising budget is based on projections and then a % of sales.

If a product does not sell, advertising is pulled or scaled way back.
    With all due respect, only people who don't truly understand advertising, sales and marketing would make this claim.

Of course advertising matters for exposure, but the product has to deliver.

I disagree - a bald, creepy woman sitting in a field can sell anything!
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    SnotBoogie likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
    OK, who had firewire other than the small percentage of people that had Macs....nobody. Let's look at the MP3 market and who was the innovators. Creative had a portable MP3 player a year before Ipod with 6GB of memory, compared with 5GB when Ipod finally came out. Ipod could not do FM radio for years, while that was a given with others. First touch screen MP3? Creative. Creative had equalizers on there players from the beginning. Ipod forced you to use their way of doing things, but that's always been Apples way. First MP3 player that also shown photos? Archos. First one with a dock? Rio. Ipod could only play a few formats where the Rio players could play a lot of formats, including Ogg Vorbis and FLAC. The playerís ability to play back files gaplessly made it an audiophile dream. First MP3 player to put a mobile OS on their player? Creative with Windows Mobile. First video playback in an Mp3 player? iRiver.

Apple had their own innovation in the click wheel, podcasts, and computer software but that's it. Everything else was taken from others and Apple made it their own, which they did quite well but for a person that really cared about quality of music then they bought other manufacturer's MP3 players. I bought the Nanos because of the armband and the podcasts. Nobody had podcast software at the time for feeds.

Apple were marketing geniuses. They put a lot of money into commercials and marketing but the reason why someone has to ask if anyone else made Mp3 players is because nobody researches and the smaller companies didn't have the money to market like Apple did. For a bunch of WebOS fans I'm surprise some just assume that Apple created everything and was the best.
    Did any of the MP3 players you listed have anything equivalent to the easy to use click wheel of the iPod?

Did they have a large screen AND the large capacity like the iPod?

Did they have the battery life of the iPod?

Did they have the software that was as simple to use with the iPod?

Did they sync your music automatically as the iPod and iTunes did?

Were any of the MP3 players as small and compact as the iPod?

Did any of the MP3 players have the interface that allowed you to load 1000s of songs in a reasonable amount of time as the iPod?

You still didn't name ONE MP3 player that bested the iPod in ALL of the above that I listed. You are still focusing on random specs or some feature that the iPod didn't have. When are you going to get it that the masses, NOT geeks, want products that are easy to use and just work. That's what Apple did better than the competition when they released the iPod.

Marketing only gets your product exposure. Microsoft spent $500 million marketing Windows Phone 7. What's their market share at?

Imagine if the original Palm Pre had a $500 million marketing budget. Do you think they would have a huge market share? That would be a no. You would have even more people returning the Palm Pre because of all it's failings when it comes to hardware and as we are learning in this thread the OS that is slower than the competition. A $500 million advertising budget is not going to erase that. You need a good product first.

Apple may not provide every spec or feature under the sun, but they do build good products and they work and their sales show that's what people want.
    I disagree - market them to teenage boys so they can play pranks on their friends, siblings, and teachers and you'll make enough cash to retire in short order. To this day I'm still chuckling over some high school shenanigans with some itching powder. Just picture one of the biggest guys in the class grabbing frantically at his back and crying "HELP....HELP ME!!!" like a little girl.....
    C-Note likes this.
    Off topic: what's up with those annoying advertising links I see when I'm not logged in?

Now back to your regularly scheduled debate.

(I want a good debate, no hitting below the belt, go to your corners when the bell rings...)
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    I disagree - market them to teenage boys so they can play pranks on their friends, siblings, and teachers and you'll make enough cash to retire in short order. To this day I'm still chuckling over some high school shenanigans with some itching powder. Just picture one of the biggest guys in the class grabbing frantically at his back and crying "HELP....HELP ME!!!" like a little girl.....
    Very good point... and this friends is the difference between marketing and advertising. To one of the previous posters - Microsoft spent $500 million in advertising... which is not necessarily marketing, though it may be a part of it.

Spending $500 million advertising a steakhouse to a vegetarian community is good advertising but poor marketing.

C

PS: So that was YOU who put the itching powder down my shirt! And I was NOT crying like a girl. Was not, was not was not!
    Last edited by C-Note; 01/04/2012 at 05:34 PM.
    marcedhk likes this.
    Advertising is part of the marketing budget.
    Advertising is part of the marketing budget.
    And a tire is part of a car, but it's not a car.
    wow, the article is on my yahoo homepage.

www.yahoo.com

they titled it, "How the TouchPad became an epic flop"

In Flop of H.P. TouchPad, an Object Lesson for the Tech Sector - Yahoo! Finance
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    And a tire is part of a car, but it's not a car.
    You don't keep buying tires for cars that don't run.
    You don't keep buying tires for cars that don't run.
    Rather than staying on point, you resort to lame attempts at humor. A couple of things to keep in mind:

1) I don't hate Apple (or any of these companies), all any of them want to do is get into my wallet, my job is to make sure I get something that meets my needs for the money I've spent. If you read previously, you know that my Pre plus has done that. If webOS goes away, all of them (Apple, Google, or Microsoft) will be more than happy to take my money. So I'm still the boss either way. I'll just pick something else.

So silly comments about the demise of HP's webOS project don't really bother me.

2) You mentioned a number of times your experience in 'marketing', as you said

With all due respect, only people who don't truly understand advertising, sales and marketing would make this claim.
    - but if you don't know the difference between the two, you've pretty much invalidated all of your comments. You can look it up (try Google or Wikipedia, or Bing), even a savvy teenager knows the difference.

Can we get back to the subject, please?

C
    Rather than staying on point, you resort to lame attempts at humor. A couple of things to keep in mind:
    YOU brought up cars and tires, going WAY off point.

At least be honest.
    but if you don't know the difference between the two, you've pretty much invalidated all of your comments. You can look it up (try Google or Wikipedia, or Bing), even a savvy teenager knows the difference.

C
    There is a huge difference between the real world and looking up generic terms. You seem to not understand this.
    YOU brought up cars and tires, going WAY off point.

At least be honest.
    There is a huge difference between the real world and looking up generic terms. You seem to not understand this.
    You still haven't answered my question. If advertising and marketing are the same, I will buy you the Piscel editing program from the catalog. If not, my point stands.

I'm trying to help you to see the difference between advertising and marketing. HP's webOS advertising was arguably OK (though there is room for differing opinions) , but their marketing was terrible.

When you use the terms interchangeably, you totally muddy the discussion and do a disservice to your arguments.

C
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    they titled it, "How the TouchPad became an epic flop"

In Flop of H.P. TouchPad, an Object Lesson for the Tech Sector - Yahoo! Finance
    The comments are kind of funny, people saying IT WAS NOT A FLOP! IT SOLD OUT EVERYWHERE! I mean come on, even the most faithful in here can admit it flopped. Doesn't mean it was a terrible product or any less useful because it flopped, but ... it flopped.
    rnld and SnotBoogie like this.
    You still haven't answered my question. If advertising and marketing are the same, I will buy you the Piscel editing program from the catalog. If not, my point stands.

I'm trying to help you to see the difference between advertising and marketing. HP's webOS advertising was arguably OK (though there is room for differing opinions) , but their marketing was terrible.

When you use the terms interchangeably, you totally muddy the discussion and do a disservice to your arguments.

C
    It's clear, outside of you being a self appointed argument expert, that you know NOTHING about marketing, BUDGETS and how it works at a company - which is where the point started.
    mister2d likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by RNLD View Post
    It's clear, outside of you being a self appointed argument expert, that you know NOTHING about marketing, BUDGETS and how it works at a company - which is where the point started.

C
    So you DON'T want the free software?