webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Forgotten Touchpad password (lockscreen)
Forgotten Touchpad password (lockscreen)

Old 12/30/2011, 05:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Story is.... my nephew decided to put a passwork lock on his Touchpad, which we gifted him for his birthday. His genius idea was a random string of numbers, which he forgot no less than 5 minutes later.

After searching and searching, and finding nothing but one instance where someone said to doctor it, I'm trying that. However, I can't get the doctor to recognize the touchpad. It is stuck on, but I can hold down power for 30 seconds and reboot it. When it tries to install drivers to my Windows 7 PC, it fails. Although I have my own TP with drivers installed already. I've tried to volume up + power to get into download mode but it won't work. Basically, I'm stuck, and asking for advice.....

Please help!
JirafaBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2011, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Finally got on HP support (happily surprised they still offer chat support for the Touchpad) and the real problem was basically getting into download mode. Just had to time my restart and volume-up hold so that the button combos didn't mess with each other.

Maybe this will help someone else in the future.
JirafaBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2012, 12:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

I just did a writeup on how to remove the password if you can access the shell. See here. It'll only work if you have Developer Mode enabled or if you have SSH access set up.

For your Doctor problem, you might want to try manually downloading and installing the Novacom Drivers. Go to this page and select your platform from the bottom. Un gzip/tar it (try 7Zip), and install the driver. Plug in the TouchPad again and the system should install new drivers for "Palm Novacom". Then try webOS Doctor again.
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0