1.    #1  
    I have been reading some stuff about 3d printing lately and ordered some gadgets to see how it looks. And have to say I'm impressed. At the same time I was reading about all the cracked Touchpad cases.
    What if we could 3d print out a new and flash back case for our Touchpads that would not crack. Yes, it would be a challenge to get it right, but with 100 thousands of Touchpad owners there might be some demand for a tailor made robust Touchpad backcase. Maybe even a bit fancier e.g. with a webOS internals logo (if Rod allows that ;-). Or even your own name although that would make it way more expensive.

And yes I hear you already saying, it can still be repaired under warranty now. But I tell you it's likely to crack again in the future and before you know the warranty is over. And according to HP we have to wait till 2013 for new webOS hardware.....

What would you pay for it US$50, US$100 or even more?

And yes the hardest part is probably to get someone actually replacing the cases as it's not really a job for those among us without engineering skills.

Anyone interested in exploring the feasibility of this? Or anyone who has access to 3d printers to test this? A 3d scanner would also be handy to get the template for the case.

Or who helps me out of this dream?
    Last edited by renater; 12/29/2011 at 09:26 PM. Reason: typos
    Both halves could probably be done in a reasonable material for ~$75 but that is really expensive to have them 3D printed...
    It would be cool but not sure if i would spend that much!
    3D printing usually has a lot of drawbacks -- either the material is too brittle/delicate, or the surface finish is poor, or the color is wrong, etc. Almost always the cost is too much. 3D printing has it's place where product runs are very small or time is very constrained. There is a big hobbyist push to get 3D printing into more and more peoples' hands lately, but the hobbyist machines produce parts far too innacurate to replace the touchpad back and I doubt anyone but the geekiest would be happier with a 3D printed back than a cracked HP back.
    3D printing is more aimed at advance prototyping, so you can have a mock up of what something will look like if made, or before incredible expense is used before tooling to make products

The ones I have seen have been far too brittle and still rough surfaces to be of any use
    Personally I would be more interested in a lightweight brushed aluminum back case for my TP. Maybe even anodized black or other colors as well. But, I realize that it would likely be way too expensive to be realistic.
    .. and would it work with the touchstone?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  8.    #8  
    It seems that my dream wouldn't stand in the real world. Might take another year or so before 3d printing gets better. I guess I also need to wrap my Touchpad in a Skinomi wrap for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    .. and would it work with the touchstone?
    Unfortunately, probably not......
    Ah, well....another dream shattered!
    Didn't someone get one of those clear backs and put it on the touchpad and put foil inside to make it look nice and shiny and then put it on their touchstone, poof one instant cloud of smoke and burnt out touchstone

The last thing we want is a metal back
    Aluminum is pretty much the same as air or plastic when it comes to magnetism. I don't see how it would cause a problem with the touchstone.
    Quote Originally Posted by misterpepper View Post
    Aluminum is pretty much the same as air or plastic when it comes to magnetism. I don't see how it would cause a problem with the touchstone.
    Foil is made of Aluminium and someone on here set fire to theirs

Not a risk im willing to take
  13.    #13  
    I was secretly hoping for some metal back case, but didn't think about potentially losing the ability to use the Touchstone. I guess it wouldn't work with any metal back covers.

I was particularly interested in this material: Shapeways | Stainless steel (in gold finish!) but it might add a lot of weight and is quiet expensive. Would be more like a rugged Touchpad ;-)

But if someone could provide me with the blue print of a Touchpad case.....
    Last edited by renater; 01/01/2012 at 02:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by misterpepper View Post
    its not about magnetism, its about electron conduction... Something that metals are very good at!
    What would be really cool is to make a back cover from fossiled T-Rex, this has been done with an iPad however the cost is $5 million
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeb2751 View Post
    Personally I would be more interested in a lightweight brushed aluminum back case for my TP. Maybe even anodized black or other colors as well. But, I realize that it would likely be way too expensive to be realistic.
    +1
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Using 3D printing is great for one off projects. If you want to mass produce replacement backs, you can use a 3D printer to make a mold and use that mold hundreds of times to make backs out of more reliable ceramics, plastics, or metal. The real problem with 3D printers is time. They take forever to produce complex shapes (the back of a TP case is a large complex shape.)

One of my dreams is to make my own metal stuff. Computer cases, models, figures, phone case, etc. Making an Pewter and even an Aluminum forge isn't terribly difficult and the tools needed for smaller projects are also reasonably priced (benders, drill press, lathe, etc.) It's the approving wife that are hard to find.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Honestly, I'd be more interested in expanded availability of for-TouchPad back skins. Maybe something to add a durable soft-touch finish for more grip and less gloss.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I just bought this silicone case. $7 shipped and it arrived in 2 days. It fits great, has all the proper cutouts for charger, mic, headphones, speakers and if you are lucky enough, the sim card drawer. The camera and center button are not covered. The on/off and volume buttons are molded in and don't come through the case but but work just fine. This case was made for the Touchpad and isn't some universal that doesn't fit.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices