Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dignitary
  1.    #1  
    [...] It’s no wonder then that HP failed. We should have hidden the gold in our arseholes and eaten bacon bits.
    Full Article: Tough negotiator: HP wanted $1.2B for webOS and Palm’s assets (exclusive) | VentureBeat
    Last edited by dignitary; 08/21/2013 at 11:06 PM.
    kill_dano likes this.
    "At this point, it seems that HP is either a terrible negotiator or never really wanted to let go of webOS in the first place."

Wow, quote above from the article. Sounds like HP did some sort of analysis and determined that they could potentially make some money back from webOS over the 5 year period by open-sourcing--at least $1.2 billion--or they would have sold it for less. So this seems like they are indeed planning to put it on one or two devices in 2013 as Meg said--printers and possibly a tablet?
    I hope this means they will manage the open-source process right as they believe it might return them some value.
    Wish they release some TouchPad Gos early next year to continue to keep webOS interest among the community.
    Tough to read. Trash your own assets, then expect top dollar for a mint condition product. Yet another bizarre decision made when they had an opportunity to do something good.

Kind of reminds me of the guy who keeps the old 386 computer in the corner because "I paid $1100 for that thing, it has to be worth something"
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    *stubs his toe on a Pentium 166 system*
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    the palm patents would have probably been worth more than webOs itself. considering how crapple is suing any/all phone makers that dares to make something black and rounded, and micro$oft is extorting android platform companies out of a cut for each phone sold.
    HP bring dumb to epic proportions.
    It's like HP was the little kid who expects great things from nothing. You can't spend 1.2 billion on an operating system and actually think good products will come from spending nothing... I am still astonished at the way HP handled WebOS. A good products costs real money, something they had, but ofcourse it just so happens a company bent on capital bought out Palm.
    i saw an article on the patents thing. Something about how current patent holders have either covered their bases or have inflicted enough licencing fees already. If palm patents were offensive or even "defensive", ie: VALUABLE from a market standpoint....

Wouldn't you think HP would have licensed them out or sued the pants off of someone?

Palm patents may no longer be relevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by cursedsoul View Post
    i saw an article on the patents thing. Something about how current patent holders have either covered their bases or have inflicted enough licencing fees already. If palm patents were offensive or even "defensive", ie: VALUABLE from a market standpoint....

Wouldn't you think HP would have licensed them out or sued the pants off of someone?

Palm patents may no longer be relevant.
    they probably couldnt enforce them now even if they wanted too with no actual smartphones or tablets in production, they wouldnt be able to claim their patent infringements are hurting any kind of hardware sales seeing as they have no hardware.

Even if they brought out their winblows tablets id wonder how many of the patents they have affect only webOS/palm products rather than a windows system, or if they do indeed cover any product they made.

Either way they got zero hardware out there, so they dont really have a leg to stand on if they tried to sue another company that does idd have plenty of hardware out there. If i were making the choices id back the people who are in active business and actually making hardware over a company thats making nothing.
    God I wished Samsung would have purchased webos
    tbh the whole affair is similar to a company having a nice large building stuffed full of leather comfy chairs, tons of high tech PC's, heaps of wall mounted 52" TV's all around, and heaps more luxurious items scattered around the building.

Then deciding "hey lets sell thsi for its near original value" but before doing so they decide to take a hammer and smash the living daylights out of nearly everything inside making it utterly unattractive to any potential buyer, then moaning that "for some reason" no-one wants to buy your building full of broken useless stuff.

----

HP had exactly the same plan, ruin webOS/their PC/etc division, announce badly at the last possible moment your dumping everything and have zero interest in your products anymore, do nothing with it all for an excessive amount of time, greatly lowering its value, THEN try and sell it for a totally insane price after ruining pretty much everything.

madness.... utter confusing and insane madness.