1.    #1  
    There's so many good write ups here on doing things on the TP but I can't find one for setting up and using WebOS Doctor. I guessing I must not be getting good search results because I figured there's got to be one. If there is would someone please point me to the right place or if not, could someone please write one up. I really need to get my TP reset to factory ASAP. Thanks!
    Here you go:
    (The following is cut and pasted from this post: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html)

Your second option, is to run webOS doctor to update to 3.0.4. IF YOU HAVE ALREADY MANAGED TO UPGRADE TO 3.0.4 WITH THE NORMAL OVER-THE-AIR SYSTEM UPDATE DO NOT PERFORM THIS STEP.

Once again, DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOU CANNOT UPGRADE IN THE "NORMAL" WAY!

Did you hear me? Don't run webOS doctor unless you have a good reason to (your touchpad is broken or your touchpad won't update with the update program).

Ok, I tried to warn you. Ready to do a webOS doctor? Lets go!

Update: Before performing these steps, make sure you set your USB ports to NOT power down to save power - failure to do this can sometimes cause a hang as your computer kills the USB connection mid-doctor. Here's how to do that:

Turning off the USB port power save option in Windows
    In Windows XP, click on Start > Control Panel (or Start > Settings > Control Panel).
    Double-click on System, then open the Hardware tab.
    Click Device Manager.

In Windows 7, click on start and type "device manager" into the search box, then select it when it pops up.

Click the + at Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
    Right-click any of the USB Root Hub's and select Properties.
    Open the Power Management tab.
    Clear the checkmark from Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
    Click OK.
    Repeat this procedure for every single USB Root Hub.

If you'd like, when you finish running webOS doctor, you can go ahead and change these settings back (if it's a desktop I'd say don't bother, it's a -tiny- amount of power use to keep them powered and can save you the occasional USB related issue).

Ok, now that your USB ports are ready:

Step 1: FULLY charge your touchpad. NOTE: Since you need a charged touchpad to perform this step, ensure your charger is working. If your touchpad isn't charging when plugged into the wall, this could be because of an odd quirk of the charger itself. It can be split into two pieces by twisting it and pulling it apart. Try twisting the charger back into "locked" position and you should be back in business.

Step 2: Get your hands on the latest webOS doctor. You may need to do this as current load on webOS servers is extremely heavy due to the huge influx of new touchpad users. To do this, go to your main PC (NOT your touchpad) and first visit your palm profile and log in:

https://ps.palmws.com/palmcsext/cons...oginPage.iface

From there, go to device options, and select webOS doctor to download it.

If that doesn't work (some people are reporting that they have invalid serial numbers and are unable to log into hp/palm), try downloading it here (be sure to select the right version - 3.0.4 for the touchpad or whatever is current at the time you're reading this):

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...ersions#Tablet

At this point, while it's downloading, grab your touchpad and open the launcher. Swipe over to settings and "device info". Perform a FULL ERASE. Finally, turn your touchpad completely OFF. The touchpad is now ready for the doctor.

Once webOS doctor is downloaded on your home PC, run the program.

HelloNNNewman has offered up some clean instructions from here that make this process a bit more simple to understand (I've edited them just a hair, thanks helloNNNewman!):

1: You are going to be connecting your device to your computer using the USB cable. You must connect your device directly to your computer, not through a USB hub or other intermediate device. Prepare for this step but do NOT plug the touchpad into the computer just yet.
    2: Now the tricky part. Hold the Volume Up button on the device and insert the USB cable into your computer, and the other end into your touchpad. After the large USB symbol appears on your touchpad screen, let go of the Volume Up button. If you see the HP logo instead of the large USB symbol, you may have let go of the Volume Up button prematurely. If this occurred , wait until your device boots up, shut down your device and then repeat step
    3: Windows will find your device and may offer to install two different drivers.
    4: When asked to install drivers of OMAP, select No, not at this time.
    5: When asked to install drivers for Palm Novacom (bootie), select Yes and let the drivers install. This may take a while. Once the drivers have been installed, the Next button will become available in webOS Doctor.
    6: Click Next.
    7: Do not disconnect your device from the computer during the update process.
    8: When the Reset Complete screen appears, click Done.
    9: Wait a few minutes for your device to reset.
    10: You're done!

Some troubleshooting if things aren't working correctly (taken straight from palm):

If the Next button remains unavailable, it may be because your device was disconnected from your computer during the driver installation process. In this circumstance, Windows cannot communicate with your device to install the drivers until you clear the driver installation state.

To clear the driver state, do the following:

On your computer, right-click My Computer and click Properties.
    Click the Hardware tab, and click Device Manager.
    On the Device Manager list, locate the item displaying a yellow question mark and/or exclamation point.
    Right-click that item, and click Uninstall.
    Click OK to uninstall the device from the system. The driver state is now cleared, and your device no longer appears in the list.
    Run webOS Doctor again, connecting your device to your computer only when prompted.

Hope this helps.
    I, like you, need to have help using webOS Doctor. So, I ran a search on the web. Here is a link to a guide on HP's Support Knowledgebase:

Palm Support : Using HP webOS Doctor

It appears to be easy to follow. I haven't had time or need to try it at this point.
    **Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!**

As a top contributor to the HP Consumer Support Forums, HP provides me access to the Tochpad at no charge so I may better respond to the questions raised on the Forum.
    hello, sorry to ask a dumb question but what is web OS doctor?
    I don't know why, but the second link on the second post doesn't go where it's supposed to. Here's the link to webos-internals page for downloading official doctors:

WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    great stuff can we get a sticky? more value than 4g owners lounge for sure.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for all the help. I knew it had to be someplace. I'm actually getting ready to sell the Touchpad which is why I want to doctor it. I want it back to factory settings and to wipe all my data. I assume this is the best way to do this? If there's another better or easier way, please let me know.

Part of me doesn't want to sell but I just seem to be more into using my Android (Honeycomb) tablet. I'm thinking about selling that and the TP and buying the new Transformer Prime that's coming out. Although I was thinking about keeping the TP, selling my Acer and getting a 7" Android tablet so I could have a more portable option. Oh well, buyer for the TP on the line so it's probably gone.
  8. GLO
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeb2751 View Post
    Here you go:
    (The following is cut and pasted from this post: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html)

Your second option, is to run webOS doctor to update to 3.0.4. IF YOU HAVE ALREADY MANAGED TO UPGRADE TO 3.0.4 WITH THE NORMAL OVER-THE-AIR SYSTEM UPDATE DO NOT PERFORM THIS STEP.

Once again, DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOU CANNOT UPGRADE IN THE "NORMAL" WAY!

Did you hear me? Don't run webOS doctor unless you have a good reason to (your touchpad is broken or your touchpad won't update with the update program).

Ok, I tried to warn you. Ready to do a webOS doctor? Lets go!

Update: Before performing these steps, make sure you set your USB ports to NOT power down to save power - failure to do this can sometimes cause a hang as your computer kills the USB connection mid-doctor. Here's how to do that:

Turning off the USB port power save option in Windows
    In Windows XP, click on Start > Control Panel (or Start > Settings > Control Panel).
    Double-click on System, then open the Hardware tab.
    Click Device Manager.

In Windows 7, click on start and type "device manager" into the search box, then select it when it pops up.

Click the + at Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
    Right-click any of the USB Root Hub's and select Properties.
    Open the Power Management tab.
    Clear the checkmark from Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
    Click OK.
    Repeat this procedure for every single USB Root Hub.

If you'd like, when you finish running webOS doctor, you can go ahead and change these settings back (if it's a desktop I'd say don't bother, it's a -tiny- amount of power use to keep them powered and can save you the occasional USB related issue).

Ok, now that your USB ports are ready:

Step 1: FULLY charge your touchpad. NOTE: Since you need a charged touchpad to perform this step, ensure your charger is working. If your touchpad isn't charging when plugged into the wall, this could be because of an odd quirk of the charger itself. It can be split into two pieces by twisting it and pulling it apart. Try twisting the charger back into "locked" position and you should be back in business.

Step 2: Get your hands on the latest webOS doctor. You may need to do this as current load on webOS servers is extremely heavy due to the huge influx of new touchpad users. To do this, go to your main PC (NOT your touchpad) and first visit your palm profile and log in:

https://ps.palmws.com/palmcsext/cons...oginPage.iface

From there, go to device options, and select webOS doctor to download it.

If that doesn't work (some people are reporting that they have invalid serial numbers and are unable to log into hp/palm), try downloading it here (be sure to select the right version - 3.0.4 for the touchpad or whatever is current at the time you're reading this):

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...ersions#Tablet

At this point, while it's downloading, grab your touchpad and open the launcher. Swipe over to settings and "device info". Perform a FULL ERASE. Finally, turn your touchpad completely OFF. The touchpad is now ready for the doctor.

Once webOS doctor is downloaded on your home PC, run the program.

HelloNNNewman has offered up some clean instructions from here that make this process a bit more simple to understand (I've edited them just a hair, thanks helloNNNewman!):

1: You are going to be connecting your device to your computer using the USB cable. You must connect your device directly to your computer, not through a USB hub or other intermediate device. Prepare for this step but do NOT plug the touchpad into the computer just yet.
    2: Now the tricky part. Hold the Volume Up button on the device and insert the USB cable into your computer, and the other end into your touchpad. After the large USB symbol appears on your touchpad screen, let go of the Volume Up button. If you see the HP logo instead of the large USB symbol, you may have let go of the Volume Up button prematurely. If this occurred , wait until your device boots up, shut down your device and then repeat step
    3: Windows will find your device and may offer to install two different drivers.
    4: When asked to install drivers of OMAP, select No, not at this time.
    5: When asked to install drivers for Palm Novacom (bootie), select Yes and let the drivers install. This may take a while. Once the drivers have been installed, the Next button will become available in webOS Doctor.
    6: Click Next.
    7: Do not disconnect your device from the computer during the update process.
    8: When the Reset Complete screen appears, click Done.
    9: Wait a few minutes for your device to reset.
    10: You're done!

Some troubleshooting if things aren't working correctly (taken straight from palm):

If the Next button remains unavailable, it may be because your device was disconnected from your computer during the driver installation process. In this circumstance, Windows cannot communicate with your device to install the drivers until you clear the driver installation state.

To clear the driver state, do the following:

On your computer, right-click My Computer and click Properties.
    Click the Hardware tab, and click Device Manager.
    On the Device Manager list, locate the item displaying a yellow question mark and/or exclamation point.
    Right-click that item, and click Uninstall.
    Click OK to uninstall the device from the system. The driver state is now cleared, and your device no longer appears in the list.
    Run webOS Doctor again, connecting your device to your computer only when prompted.

Hope this helps.
    I can't believe it, but I finally got the USB symbol on the White Touchpad that had been frozen on the HP logo, and it is plugged into my computer, but my computer does not recognize it. I do not know what to do. Someone else gave me a link to download webOS doctor 2.24 and 3.05 but neither version I downloaded contains any jar files which I thought were needed. So I've got the Touchpad finally displaying the USB symbol, my computer does not recognize it, and I don't know if I have a valid webOS doctor 3.05 or not. Any suggestions?
    The computer would not recognize it as a normal webOS device, but the doctor should see it. The webos doctor does not contain jar files, it *is* a jar file. Depending on your OS, it may hide the .jar extension from the filename, but if it is a valid webos doctor file, you can run it from a command prompt or by double-clicking it.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 01/14/2015 at 07:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GLO View Post
    I can't believe it, but I finally got the USB symbol on the White Touchpad that had been frozen on the HP logo, and it is plugged into my computer, but my computer does not recognize it. I do not know what to do. Someone else gave me a link to download webOS doctor 2.24 and 3.05 but neither version I downloaded contains any jar files which I thought were needed. So I've got the Touchpad finally displaying the USB symbol, my computer does not recognize it, and I don't know if I have a valid webOS doctor 3.05 or not. Any suggestions?
    check this
    How do I download webOS Doctor for Touchpad from HP and save the file on my computer?