Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
  1.    #1  
    Man, we really need some f'ing steak up in this *****. BRING ME STEAAAAAAAKKKK!

WHO in their RIGHT MIND doesn't like STEAAAAAAAAAKKKK!
    Last edited by dignitary; 08/22/2013 at 12:33 AM.
    Next time Best Buy is claimed they'll be sitting on top of 400,000 Touchpads.

I'm still amazed of how can anybody still claim the 250,000 ****, when Whitman said there was a total of 750,000 worldwide (and they did two batches).

But hey, there are 200 touchpads at three times the firesale prices!!! Definitely another sales disaster.
    Newness Developments apps:

Each day that goes by, these tp's get more outdated and better stuff comes out. Add to that the fact that buyers are probably a little bit burnt out at paying double price to twits who ordered 6 or so in the first fire sale and then used scripts and multiple id's to snatch up the remainder off of ebay to then re-sell those as well...it is inevitable that the twits' monopoly on the tp market will gradually weaken. I'm already thinking I'd much rather wait until March and buy an iPad 3 for $499 rather pay some twit $200 or $300 for a tp that was hot stuff last June...
    Soul Brother likes this.
    Best buy is a HUGE retailer in the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by guity View Post
    Each day that goes by, these tp's get more outdated and better stuff comes out. Add to that the fact that buyers are probably a little bit burnt out at paying double price to twits who ordered 6 or so in the first fire sale and then used scripts and multiple id's to snatch up the remainder off of ebay to then re-sell those as well...it is inevitable that the twits' monopoly on the tp market will gradually weaken. I'm already thinking I'd much rather wait until March and buy an iPad 3 for $499 rather pay some twit $200 or $300 for a tp that was hot stuff last June...
    Good luck getting an iPad 3 for $499, right now the iPad shows $598.88 to $642.79
    according to a quick yahoo search. Apple has never and probably will not ever be know for low or reasonable prices.

I was unaware the demand for the cheap fire sale TouchPad has lowered. I still think $400 to $500 is a reasonable price for the TouchPad. It is not dead apps are still being made and developement is still in process. Neither of the two are at the speed we desire but I am still hopeful for quality improvement and webOS hardware for 2012.
    The Touchpad has a value today of $400 to $500? On which planet?
    Quote Originally Posted by speedygodzilla View Post
    Good luck getting an iPad 3 for $499, right now the iPad shows $598.88 to $642.79
    according to a quick yahoo search. Apple has never and probably will not ever be know for low or reasonable prices.
    iPad 2 16GB sells for $499. When iPad 3 comes out, they should be the same price as the iPad 2 now.
    Quote Originally Posted by speedygodzilla View Post

I was unaware the demand for the cheap fire sale TouchPad has lowered. I still think $400 to $500 is a reasonable price for the TouchPad. It is not dead apps are still being made and developement is still in process. Neither of the two are at the speed we desire but I am still hopeful for quality improvement and webOS hardware for 2012.
    Maybe he's counting on a discount for selling his soul to a carrier for 2 years?

Quote Originally Posted by rstark View Post
    iPad 2 16GB sells for $499. When iPad 3 comes out, they should be the same price as the iPad 2 now.
    Oh right, the 16GB. For some reason that option just never comes to mind when talking about a WiFi only mobile device.
    ....and this is news how? I'm amazed it sold at almost 3 times the fire sale price for so long, given all cr@p that the naysayers have posted here. It's December. The TouchPad was discontinued in August. So for 4 months people were still buying them at an inflated price despite what was happening at HP. That makes it a strong product regardless of your view about webOS.

I was just checking out a Motorola Xyboard on Youtube and Engadget today after being bombarded with the commercials from Verizon all weekend. It has a 1.2GHz dual core processor, 1GHz of RAM and runs Android 3.2. The battery life on the thing is less than 6 hours vs. the almost 9 hours you get out of TouchPad. To top it off Verizon wants $530 for it with a 2 year contract, $700 without one. Same processor speed and memory as the TouchPad so I guess you pay a lot extra for the rear camera and the HDMI out port? With weak, overpriced competition like this those TouchPad will probably continue to sell but obviously at a much lower price.
    ka1, treodoc755, Rnp and 1 others like this.
    The first generation Touchpads are all gone because they sold them for $99. There is no other reason. It was the deal of the year, no question.
    I hist god a 32gb for Christmas. Missed the fire sales but got a new one with the this Direct deal. I know some will say I paid too much, but I'm loving my to. Fast, does what I need it to do, and about $300 less than iPad. Plus I have the free 50gb boxnet account. Seems like a good deal to me. And, of course I love webOS. Using my wife's iphone drives me crazy.

I suppose interest will die down. I don't see people really interested in anything but the iPad, and the kindle fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by guity View Post
    I agree about the tp horders bit but Im definitely going to try and get hold of a Transformer Prime with ICS next year.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I got a 32GB, new in the box, off Ebay a couple of weeks ago with a buy it now price of $199... so the price is definitely dropping, if you wait to find a bargain. But all the better for those of us who want one.
    -= Gihmley =-

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
    Yeah, that was a fantastic article . . . "No one is buying them . . just look at ebay, where there are over a hundred of them, with people actually bidding more than twice the last retail sale price on them." Complete break in logic.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    I'm looking at Ebay right now and 32gigers close to auction close are going at just under $300 with free shipping, a bit less than that when a shipping charge and anywhere from 7-22 bids on each one I'm looking at.

16gigs are selling from 230-260 again depending a bit on shipping charges it seems. None that I see that are within a day of closing are without multiple bidders except one that looks like it is shipping from China from a seller with only a "9" on activity. Think I would pass on that as well.

One 16 gig in England is Has 42 bids and is up to $321 with a day and a half still to go!

This will eventually die down no doubt as the device gets older and other manufacturers come out with newer, cheaper and more powerful devices, but the true price point for non-Apple tablets is now pretty clear.

Of course, people that are buying these on ebay are probably ones that know about the device and willing to pay a bit more than an average consumer you are trying to get into a store to buy, but the firesale/ebay/craigslist sales of the TP as well as the Fire, pretty much show that $200ish is the sweet spot for a lower-end tablet marketed to the general public, with a bit under $300 the right price for your higher end model. And, if you can sell anything worthwhile at $99, you better make sure your servers can handle the overload!

Now, can a company make money on a tablet at that price is a good question. Amazon is supposedly losing a little on each Fire but hopes to make up for it in book, movie and app sales. A more forward thinking HP could have sold TPs for break-even or slight loss, grabbed the non-apple market share (that the Fire is now taking) and used the TP to get people to buy easy to pair&share printers, laptops, desktops and such as well as Apps. The one true total "ecosystem" that COULD have been out there would have been from HP.

Most frustrating is that, with 20/20 hindsight, late summer was the perfect time to have taken the non-apple market share by storm before the Fire and other devices came out. HP had a great $199/$299 tablet that would have been a huge success at that price and would, even at a loss, been a great foundation for the future. They did not have a great $500/$600 tablet especially when compared to the Ipad II. Nobody was going to buy the TP (or just about any other tablet) at or near the price of an I-pad.

Ah well...
    Last edited by midmofan; 12/28/2011 at 11:57 AM.
    spare likes this.
    Of course no TouchPad owners used Touch-to-Share, there's no devices other than other TouchPads to TTS with . . . however, you'll notice there sure are a lot of Android users that are excited about the "Near Field Communication" support, which is it's big brothers.

The main bits of our hardwares are quite nice, the software needed a lot more thrown behind it. There's lots of bits and pieces of awesome here, scattered amongst a whole bunch of "if only"s.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by inertia1 View Post
    Touch-to-share turned out to be a complete gimmick that most TP owners never even used.
    Something that didn't see proper use because the device "ecosystem" that would have used it was killed off before even having a chance to gain traction? That Touch-to-share thing wasn't a TouchPad only depend feature, killing off new phone production and releases kind of killed the point of that feature design.
    treodoc755 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by inertia1 View Post
    At your pricing, the per-unit loss on the TP for HP would have been $100 to $150. Making this up with PC hardware sales would have been impossible. First of all, the pitch for connectivity to HP printers or PCs is dubious at best. Touch-to-share turned out to be a complete gimmick that most TP owners never even used. Second, HP's margins on PC products is a paltry 5.7%. That's why they were going to sell the PSG. You certainly can't subsidize $100 worth of of tablet on a $60-80 profit margin for a PC you may or may not sell.

AppleInsider | HP's PC sales lead industry but 5.7% operating margins dwarfed by Apple
    A analysis conducted in June by the research firm iSuppli, claimed that a 16GB TouchPad cost $306.65 to build, while the 32GB version cost $328.65 (both parts and manufacturing costs). These teardown costs have been criticized by a number of industry types as not taking into account the total bulk purchases, discounts, licensing fees, buyback (kickback) deals that are in place between companies for all of their lines of business not just one particular product. For example, Apple apparently has deals in place that go like this: "We will buy component X for the I-phone for $$ if you sell us component Y for the I-pod for $." Indeed isuppi after further review, lowered the cost estimates of both the Iphone and the Fire from their initial analysis. No redo was every apparantly done on the TP which is understandable since it was discontinued. HP, being the largest PC maker in the world, had the ability to really negotiate prices and nobody really knows at this point what they actually paid for the components that went into the TP.

If TP would have introduced the 32gig TP at $299, it would have lost -even at what is probably an inflated teardown figure - $29. IF you have a long range plan to create a total ecosystem that included phones and printers and and desktops as well as apps and movie sales, I think that can be justified. (Especially with the printers IMO. If there had been a good printer that worked perfectly and wirelessly with a TP, there would have been sales not only of the printers but lots and lots of future ink cartridge sales where HP makes a huge profit) I know for a fact that there was training going on on HP Desktops that had webOS on them when the plug was pulled and who knows what else might have been planned.

Further, by introducing the 32gig at $299, I don't think you would have needed to have introduced a 16gig which, under any circumstances, HP would always lose more money on given that the only difference was a chip or two. Later, after the TP had been established and gained some market share HP could have introduced something like the TP GO for $199. In all these teardowns costs, size of the screen is the single biggest factor, so perhaps that would not have been a huge loss either. Then could come a higher-end version with more stuff and and actual profit margin on the device (64gig, white, Video out, full USB port, SD card, ahhhh, heaven...)

That's not saying it all would have worked out for HP. Given their dysfunction it is likely it wouldn't have. There is also no guarantee the Fire is going to pan out. But -- getting back on track to the thread -- the still strong resale market (despite the silly article in the OP) shows where a good price point would have been if the TP was going to have ANY chance at all.
    Last edited by midmofan; 12/28/2011 at 12:55 PM.
    treodoc755 and p41m3r like this.
    Touch-to-share turned out to be a complete gimmick that most TP owners never even used.
    Because the the ITunes and iOS is not compatible; so, blame the Apple, not the users that has no chance to buy a compatible device...

Let's gonna be serious... the compatible devices was killed before you find in any store; so, how the people can use? With toasters?

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    The writer obviously doesn't know how to do a search for "completed listings" or reference numbers that make any sense at all or come to a conclusion that is worthy of reputable news org:
    3,270 results found for Touchpad + eBay Completed listings since Aug 22nd. She didn't even mention Craigslist where most of the hoarders are selling them.

AllThingsD has had a ***** for the winding path of Palm from the start. One article after another about how nothing can touch Apple.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast