Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    hello there, this is my first post. i have had my touchpad about three weeks now. i bought it initially to be able to read ebooks but after "fooling around" with it want to be able to watch movies. what is the best viewer app for this? thank you in advance for your help.
    Kalemsoft media player. Buy it from their website though. Save a little money.
    Kalemsoft media player is the way to go. You can sometimes get it $1 cheaper by purchasing it from their website instead of the app catalog, but I believe you have to install it manually if you do that.
    you got 3 options i know of 1. Kalemsoft Media player I bought works great and plays everything. 2. if you are familar with homebrew then try the touch player it is free and 3. convert your download file to a mp4 and the native player should play them.
  5.    #5  
    thanx all!!
    I've got a small collection of dvd movies (my own legal ones) which I'd like to download to my PC and then transfer to view on my Touchpad. I've tried using HandBrake but after it scans the movie and the encoding process is done, when I click on the movie it's a complete mess (bunch of colored squares and garbled audio). Am I missing a step or doing something wrong with HandBrake?

Is there another way (program) to use which will easily allow me to download my dvds to my PC so I can watch them on the Touchpad? If yes, what is it and will it damage or destroy my original movie?

Any and all help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Try importing the presets in this thread for handbrake and then make sure to select that preset when you encode. Handbrake works great.

http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...eset-dvds.html
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Try importing the presets in this thread for handbrake and then make sure to select that preset when you encode. Handbrake works great.

http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...eset-dvds.html
    Thanks for the response/info - appreciate it.

I went to the thread you suggested downloaded/saved the .txt document to import for Handbrake. After much trial and a lot of error(s), I finally figured out how to rename it (renaming changed it to a QuickTime perference file), and then imported it from my files using the Presets tab in Handbrake. It added Touchpad (Imported) under Presets.

I made sure I selected Touchpad, checked Keep Aspect Ratio and then clicked Source. Once it finished scanning the dvd, I hit Start to begin encoding. More than an hour later when the encoding finished, I clicked on the movie (which I'd saved to my desktop) and it still had the same colored squares and garbled audio.

I was positive this would work considering I'd followed the steps but it didn't. What am I still doing wrong or missing?

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.
    Hard to say, worked for all the people in the thread. Try a different computer. Is it being saved as .mp4?
    Hard to say, worked for all the people in the thread. Try a different computer. Is it being saved as .mp4?
    Unfortunately don't have another pc to try it on. And, when I tried opening the movie after following the tips for Handbrake Presets for DVDs, I remember seeing (don't remember how/where) it saved as an .mp4video versus .mp4. Hmmm.

I've seen alot of members say Handbrake has worked for them without any problem(s). I even went to YouTube and watched a few "how to" videos just for reference sake (maybe this wasn't the best place to go since there's too many variations on what to do, not do with Handbrake). If nothing else I did learn I was doing the right steps - from you, I learned to import Touchpad to the presets list.

So now even though I have Touchpad on presets then select Keep Aspect Ratio, my trouble begins after the scan and at Start for the encoding process. I'm still hopeful though to find the solution to make it work.

Again thanks for the help, info and suggestions. I appreciate it.
    @breathlessTP: Is your converted DVD movie (.mp4) runs well on PC? Try download homebrew app TouchPlayer from Preware. Try run your movie using it, how's the result?
  12.    #12  
    with the kalemsoft media player will i be able to watch .mov or .avi movies?
    Is there not any way to play .avi files on the TP as a .avi film?

As for converting movie files to MP4, any idea on the average how long it would take to convert a 70mb AVI format film to this MP4?

Are we looking at hours and hours to do so?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    @breathlessTP: Is your converted DVD movie (.mp4) runs well on PC? Try download homebrew app TouchPlayer from Preware. Try run your movie using it, how's the result?
    The Bard: Thanks for helping me out here but as far as watching it on my pc, I can't. Like I said, after I hit "Start" in Handbrake and it's finished encoding the movie (saved on my desktop) when I click to play it, there's nothing there but a bunch of colored squares - like the kind you see when someone's face is being hidden and the audio is hit, miss and garbled.

I just don't understand why other people have used Handbrake so successfully when I'm doing and following their same steps. All the dvds I have were purchased new, no scratches, fingerprints and are Region 1. So I just don't get it.

Again, thanks for helping out - I appreciate it.l
    Last edited by breathlessTP; 01/09/2012 at 04:22 PM. Reason: more info
    p.s. if it's not playing correctly on the pc, see no reason why trying to play it with TouchPlayer in Preware will change the outcome.
    Its hard to say what is going on. What is your operating system and what version of handbrake are you using? Did you try uninstalling Handbrake and re-installing it?
    Look around in the forums and see what other programs people suggest. I have used handbrake and its worked well for me consistently.
    Its hard to say what is going on. What is your operating system and what version of handbrake are you using? Did you try uninstalling Handbrake and re-installing it?
    Look around in the forums and see what other programs people suggest. I have used handbrake and its worked well for me consistently.
    bluenote: As far as I know I've got the most recent version of Handbrake and my OS is Win7. After your suggestion of searching the forum, best I've come up with is that my dvds are copy protected/encrypted and this could be the reason the encoding isn't working. After reading people's comments and viewing YouTube vids for Handbrake, I just don't see why it won't work when it looks like I've got the same dvds others are using. So now my question is does Handbrake recognize or not recognize copy protected/encrypted dvds or am I still missing somethinge here?

Thanks much again.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I can't believe that nobody has mentioned to you yet that the symptom you are seeing means that your DVD has standard CSS copy protection, and Handbrake does not remove copy protection from DVDs. When I want to transfer a DVD video to my TouchPad, I copy it to my PC hard drive first with AnyDVD (to remove CSS), and then use Handbrake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
    I can't believe that nobody has mentioned to you yet that the symptom you are seeing means that your DVD has standard CSS copy protection, and Handbrake does not remove copy protection from DVDs. When I want to transfer a DVD video to my TouchPad, I copy it to my PC hard drive first with AnyDVD (to remove CSS), and then use Handbrake.
    Semma2: THANK YOU!! I found that out just about an hour or so ago after reading it here in the forums. It was just a line or two re Handbrake NOT being about to remove the CSS copy protection so now I know why nothing was working.

I should say at first I had tried copying a dvd to my hard drive and then using Handbrake and obviously wasn't doing something right. I'll try again now that I'm a bit more educated (from members like you and bluenote) on what to do.

As a quick aside, I'm trying to do this simply because I've got a short hosptial stay coming up with home rest for a few days thereafter. It would be nice to have some of my movies on my Touchpad for both joy and comfort during those times.

Again, thanks - I truly appreciate the help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post

So if it consistently works for you, what software are you using BEFORE Handbrake to remove copy protection from your dvds? If you don't use a program then how is Handbrake working for you without something?

Thanks in advance - I appreciate it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast