Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    I just though I would share this because it seems kind of cool to me. I got rid of my personal landline phone and picked up a Panasonic KX-TG7645 "link to cell" phone system that actually works pretty well with my Pre2. But then with the Pre2 updated to 2.2.4 offering the ability to make Skype calls w/o using Verizon Minutes, so I signed up for a Skype Number and planned to keep my Pre on Skype for Domestic Calls most of the time.

    But alas, the BT connection with Skype is unworkable - the Panasonic will dial or answer a call via Skype but the Pre immediately switches to speakerphone. I tried the AudioSwitch app which *almost* works but isn't really a satisfactory option.

    But since Skype also works on the TouchPad, I tried pairing the Touchpad with the Panasonic simply as an Audio device and it works perfectly to both dial and receive calls! So for about 5 bucks a month I have unlimited domestic calls that will ring on my Pre, my Touchpad and are also linked in to a standard phone handset, which, BTW still also has my Business landline number ringing through it.

    It's just one more cool thing my $149 TP can do.
  2. #2  
    I know, ancient thread but...
    I'm looking for a dect 6 phone for my small business and was trying to figure out if Pany's link2cell has any use for me. It would be very useful if a paired Touchpad could dial a landline call. Are you able to use the Touchpad dialer to make a call through the Panasonic? I'm not sure if your setup matches up since it sounds like you are without a landline and are using the Touchpad to initiate Skype calls directly...
    Last edited by bbito; 01/19/2015 at 11:29 AM. Reason: typo fix
  3.    #3  
    No, the TP dialer can only dial via skype or the Pre 3. It can't initiate a landline call.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    No, the TP dialer can only dial via skype or the Pre 3. It can't initiate a landline call.
    Thanks for the reply, I suspected as much, but it's great to know ahead of time!
  5. #5  
    If anyone were to figure out how the phone synergy component works, Google Voice could be used for that purpose :-D
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    If anyone were to figure out how the phone synergy component works, Google Voice could be used for that purpose :-D
    Hey eblade,
    Thanks for chiming-in, could you expand on that a little though?
    I'm really not sure how Google Voice could be used accomplish what I want without porting my business landline number to GV (which I won't do). Can you explain just a little more of what you're writing about?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bbito View Post
    Hey eblade,
    Thanks for chiming-in, could you expand on that a little though?
    I'm really not sure how Google Voice could be used accomplish what I want without porting my business landline number to GV (which I won't do). Can you explain just a little more of what you're writing about?
    Isn't skype just using a different network for VOIP than GV? I mean, I have a skype account that lets me dial landline numbers, (using the panasonic link-to-cell). It costs about $5 a month for the skype account. I just can't dial the the number using the landline phone line.

    You don't really need to port a number since you can set the skype CID to show whatever number you want as a call back number.
  8. #8  
    Google Voice can be used to originate a call from a specific number -- you tell it to make a call using your landline phone, and it will then ring your landline phone, and make the connection for you.

    So, it should be possible to hook up the "Phone" dialer in webOS to run some special code (which happens to already be contained in SynerGV 2's node service) so when you make a call, Google will call your landline, and make the connection. Which as I see it should answer the problem, in a sort of round-about way :-)

    I know it's possible to make a connector for a Phone account, but I stopped digging on it after I discovered that creating a Phone synergy account was a way to get immediately blacklisted from the catalog. :-S
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I know it's possible to make a connector for a Phone account, but I stopped digging on it after I discovered that creating a Phone synergy account was a way to get immediately blacklisted from the catalog. :-S
    Being a natural rebel, I say go right ahead and write that connector!

    I reckon it's a big bluff! Let's see if they blacklist you... I'm betting they won't!
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Google Voice can be used to originate a call from a specific number -- you tell it to make a call using your landline phone, and it will then ring your landline phone, and make the connection for you.

    So, it should be possible to hook up the "Phone" dialer in webOS to run some special code (which happens to already be contained in SynerGV 2's node service) so when you make a call, Google will call your landline, and make the connection. Which as I see it should answer the problem, in a sort of round-about way :-)

    I know it's possible to make a connector for a Phone account, but I stopped digging on it after I discovered that creating a Phone synergy account was a way to get immediately blacklisted from the catalog. :-S
    Wow, both Google Voice and Skype confuse the heck out of me....
    I tried to find any GV or Skype documentation of this type of feature and I came up with very confusing forum posts indicating that with Skype one can only setup Caller ID to use a mobile (SMS capable for confirmation) number. And that with Google Voice the only option that would show my landline CID would be to port my landline number to Google (and I'm not going there yet)...

    What I was hoping is that I could tap a phone number on one of our Touchpads that was paired to the Panasonic's Bluetooth system and it would dial for the Pany through the connected PSTN landline. I'm disappointed that as far as I can tell, these Bluetooth enabled DECT systems don't allow for a Bluetooth 'dialer', but perhaps it isn't a Bluetooth supported role...
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
    Being a natural rebel, I say go right ahead and write that connector!

    I reckon it's a big bluff! Let's see if they blacklist you... I'm betting they won't!
    har, har. so many things i want to do, so little time to actually do them all.

    So, basically, I imagine that you dial a number from the TouchPad dialer, press Send, and a few seconds later your home line rings, and the call is made for you. Does that sound like it would fit the bill?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    So, basically, I imagine that you dial a number from the TouchPad dialer, press Send, and a few seconds later your home line rings, and the call is made for you. Does that sound like it would fit the bill?
    Hey eblade,
    I have a few dozen really good ideas on the back burner myself (nothing to do with GV, Skype or Bluetooth), so I'm not goading you to make my harebrained scheme work - especially because I was hoping not to route my clients' contact information through Google or Microsoft.

    But since you asked...
    Here is the genesis of the idea. I am currently working on a huge upgrade to the project management system I clobbered together in PHP several years ago. I also need to get a phone line to a workstation that is not easy to run copper to so I'm looking at cordless phones for the first time ever. I saw this Bluetooth feature on the Panasonic phones and started to wonder if it was in any way useful to me, because if it isn't I'd rather reduce the radio traffic/interference in the shop and get one of the systems that only has DECT6 and no other radio.

    I thought - well how cool would that be if my project management system (accessed on Touchpad) told me I needed to call a client and I just tapped their number and the Touchpad dialed the call on the Panasonic system via Bluetooth and I could either make the landline call on the Touchpad just like it was making a call though a paired Pre or even if I had to pick up a Panasonic handset, that would still be pretty cool. So it seemed like there was a small possibility of the Bluetooth features being useful, but OP kayphoonstar confirmed that it's a one-way street - you can use the Pany handsets to call through your paired cell, but you can't use your cell as a Bluetooth 'handset' to call through your PSTN.

    So my idea of making some use of these Bluetooth features seems to have reached a deadend. I have read that there are all sort of great telephony integrations I could create for my project management system if I was willing to run my own telephony server, but this is such a low-priority feature for my system/business that I could never justify that kind of development/maintenance time (not to mention that I have no fascination that would be satisfied by learning more about telephony systems).

    What you described would "work", but I don't think I'd start using Google Voice for my business just to have that feature. The vast majority of our client communication is via email where PHP integration is as easy as an href="mailto:...". I can continue to pickup a phone and punch in 10 numbers when I need to make a phone call ;-)

    Thanks alot for all the info!
    Last edited by bbito; 01/21/2015 at 05:47 PM. Reason: typo fix
  13. #13  
    You could give it a try with a Google Voice account, you don't even really need an app, you can just access it directly from the TouchPad. Just hook up that phone's number as one of the phone numbers on the account, and then you can make calls from it. The app just makes it a lot easier to use on a mobile :-) I never used the VoIP features in GV, because I was never able to find any documentation as to how it worked, so my apps just deal with the call-connection functions and messaging.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:

Posting Permissions