Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By eblade
  • 2 Post By Mutoidi
  1.    #1  
    Hi everyone. I am about to catch a 9-hour flight and my TP will obviously be my best friend during that time...
    Now, some time ago I purchased a portable battery charger (new trent ifuel 500) that I will give as a gift to a friend of mine. But first I wanted to use it during the flight with my TP - I don't think it will last 9 hours of almost continuous video.

The problem is that this portable charger does not seem to work with the TP. The TP says "please use original charger" or something like this, and refuses to be charged.

This is annoying because I don't think energy coming from this charger is any different from any other source.
    Also, it's supposed to work because the portable charger has enough power to sustain a power hungry device like the TP (I compared mA and voltage of the portable charger, the HP charger, and usb out from my pc).

It also seems to be some low-level block because there is NO way I can charge the TP with that thing.
    (I noticed that in Android the TP will be charging for 30 seconds or something, but then will stop)

Any more info? I tried searching everywhere.
    Thanks!
    Seems one of the many (and growing number of) quirks related to the TouchPad. I also have a Trent external charger that I use for my Android phone but I haven't tried recharging the TP with it. To be honest, the TP's run time is sufficient and the (lessening) importance I place on the TP hasn't driven meto consider longer run times.

Unless someone offers up a good solution to you, your best hope is that the plane you go on has AC outlets accessible (many seem to now, even in the main cabin).
    The way in which the TP senses and regulates it's own charging requirements is preventing it draw a full 2A charge from the ifuel unit (assuming it is capable of safely supplying that 2A 5.5V current initially? I haven't checked it's specs).

There is a resistance load and cable figuration that is essentially unique to the TP and it's own HP USB/mains charger.. or 'Wheel_Nut's' TP specific modified Car-Charger.

There is a long and interesting thread which will hopefully clarify this principle here:

http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ouchpad-7.html

I think you may need to make a modified lead or output from the charger, in order to convince the TP to draw the maximum current (2A) from it.. which should indeed be enought to watch Videos on.. until IT goes flat too of course!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 12/22/2011 at 08:02 AM.
    You need a 2A (2000mA) current charger to get the charging icon, and not the warning about using the wrong charger. Any less than that, and it will not charge at it's full rate. As long as you are getting a sustained output of >=500mA, though, it should at least hold off the drain. The maximum current draw I've seen on a TouchPad was about 900mA, and that was all barrels running maxium - all radios on, everything connected and operating, maximum brightness, and CPU pegged at maximum.

In short, you need to put in more current than you are using, to get it to charge. If your charger can do it, it'll charge. If it can't, it'll stave off the drain.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    You need a 2A (2000mA) current charger to get the charging icon, and not the warning about using the wrong charger. Any less than that, and it will not charge at it's full rate. As long as you are getting a sustained output of >=500mA, though, it should at least hold off the drain. The maximum current draw I've seen on a TouchPad was about 900mA, and that was all barrels running maxium - all radios on, everything connected and operating, maximum brightness, and CPU pegged at maximum.

In short, you need to put in more current than you are using, to get it to charge. If your charger can do it, it'll charge. If it can't, it'll stave off the drain.
    So what he is saying... don't wait til the TP is drained to use your backup power supply, hook that up first, and it should drain before the TP hopefully even if the TP shows some drain.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    AS Eblade suggests, if your TouchPad is fully charged and you run it with the iFuel 500 connected, the rate if discharge will be slowed to probably give you the extended duration you need. Also, All Batteries last longer if the rate of discharge is slow because it reduces the heat dissipation and optimises the utilisation of available power.

You could modify the iTrent port to the TouchPad requirement or even modify a Cable to increase the charge rate. I wouldn't recommend the latter because you never know what it may (inadvertently or otherwise) get plugged into. I say this because you wouldn't believe some of the unsuitable devices that people have plugged into my modified chargers!
    If I am using my portable 3rd party 2A-charger I get the message as well, but the TP is still charging fine. Maybe it'll be a bit slower, but you don't have to worry at all that you get no power.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    For the most part any 3rdparty charger will work, even if TP complains, but only the TP
    specific chargers will give max charge rate. It'll only draw about 600mA max from a true 2A 3rd party charger. I'd love to know the specifics of a cable mod that will fool it.

ian
    Daemon, Have a look at the thread referenced in Mutoidi's linky above. All will be revealed.

** Happy Festivities by the Way! **
    I'm glad the TP is designed to throttle back it's charge rate if a lower amp/hr charger is attached. Have you ever felt the stock charger barrel plug when you are charging from say 50% to around 70%? That baby is hot. Take a charger designed for half the stock TP's charge rate and try to pull the full TP's stock charger rate. Can you say "house fire".
    The TP is not designed to recognise a charger with a 'lower charge rates' as such, but simply the the fact that it (the charger) may not be offering the TP the specific (and brand-unique) regulating format that it was designed to respond to.

True however, that were the TP able to try to suck 2A out of a 1A charger... it would probably melt the house in which it was installed! This is exactly why it is NOT recommended to use either modified leads or USB adaptors, but only the specific charger output port that only the TP will use, because this could otherwise then allow the TP to dangerously and actually DO the above 'house-warming' stunt...yes!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 12/24/2011 at 08:00 AM.
    Does the portable power bank 6000 at best buy work?it says it charges the iPad too.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    can anyone recommend an external battery bank charger please? I am traveling to the other end of the globe and need an external charger option.

Thanks.
    I have suggested elsewhere that it would be more efficient to use an external Battery "charger" in the low charge rate mode, thus extending the life of the internal battery.

With an external source supplying ~500mA, the net demand on the internal battery could be as low as 100mA, extending its life to 20hours or more.

Have you checked with seatguru.com whether your Airline provides a Power Outlet on your flight? If it does, you could use an Empower adapter such as this:
    EmPower Aircraft to USB Power Adaptor : Travel Adaptors : Maplin Electronics
    which would charge in low-rate mode or could be modified to charge in high rate mode.

Alternatively, you could use the Empower Aircraft to Car Charger with one of my modified Car Chargers to charge at full rate.
    Aeroplane Empower Socket to DC 12V Car Socket Adapter (5055377500320) | eBay
    Last edited by Wheel_nut; 02/02/2012 at 08:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    can anyone recommend an external battery bank charger please? I am traveling to the other end of the globe and need an external charger option.

Thanks.
    I have an Energizer XPAL XP18000 that works great (Energizer® XP18000 Portable Charger for Laptops | External Battery | Portable Charger). I use the iPad adapter that can be ordered for free. It puts out enough power to charge my TP while using it. It's 18000 mAh so it can charge the TP several times without having to be charged itself. I got mine at Fry's for $120 open box. I think retail is normally $150.
    I used this andit charges well when the tp is in airplane mode. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/myCharge...;cp=1&lp=3

Sent from my White Touchpad with Communities