Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Hi Everyone,

I am sending back my TP to get the cracked speaker and was wondering what steps i must take to a)save all my info, and b)erase my info.

Thanks,

Tony
    a) your info should already be saved, except media and documents. b) go to device info and reset options and do choose one of the erase options.
    good luck on sending yours in. Let us know if you get yours back with a new back placed on it or a refurb. Thinking about doing the same(sending in for crack repair) with my tp after the holidays. Although nervous about doing so with so many reports of repairs coming back with refurb units in worse shape then before.

my problem is I need to figure out some way to get my ubuntu chroot image(didn't do partition method for this vary reason) off my TP for backup. Moving it to the media folder so I could copy it over usb to my mac didn't seem to work. Think it bawked over the 2gb file size when I attempted making a backup copy that way awhile ago. Not really looking forward to having to redo my entire ubuntu chroot install.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    The rep I spoke to yesterday that I had to send my unit back in because they didn't have any refurbs or new units available to send out. I received my padded envelope back, and will update when I receive my unit back.

If I have the save/restore preware app, do I need to do anything or is that also saved with my login?
    I also have a small crack near the speaker and I am thinking about sending it back for a replacement. I have a lot of mods, including the warthog overclock. Will a secure reset take care of eliminating all traces of preware and the overclock?
    Just send it in. Choose the repair and return with box option and you'll get your device back rather than a refurb. How do i know my device is still the same one i originally bought? It still crashes when I OC to 1.8GHz. Uninstall your OC kernel and do a full reset. The agent I spoke to said having "third party" software voids the warranty so act like you never modded it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickstreo View Post
    I also have a small crack near the speaker and I am thinking about sending it back for a replacement. I have a lot of mods, including the warthog overclock. Will a secure reset take care of eliminating all traces of preware and the overclock?
    a doctor will have to be used to remove all those. just uninstall them one by one. then do secure erase
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    Where did you go to start the return process?
    I just received my touchpad back after sending in in twice for the speaker cracks. First time I got the same unit back because I asked for that one back and the same with the second time. When I call there I specifically ask to have the same one returned and each time they have done so. Both times took about 7-8 days for the whole process which I am very happy with. Just do a full erase and make sure if you have it over clocked you take all that off. They will doctor it before sending it back so you have to reenter all your account info and it will then reinstall all your apps and things. Both times my touchpad came back with a nearly dead battery though so I charge it before doing too much on it. Not sure why the dead battery but I wish they would not do that.

So my fingers are crossed I can go a long time without the speaker cracks this time.
    hopefully no more speaker cracks at all

good to know they sent your same unit back too. Thanks for posting. I too am not sure why they would send it out with a dead battery. Maybe they replace them when repairing the unit or somehow run it down during a post repair testing phase(wouldn't think it would take that long). I did notice however when TPs were new from different sources they all came charged a little low. Somewhere around the 30% mark. Had to charge every one before being able to update webos when I set them up for myself, family, & friends. Somehow I wound up being the official TP seter upper/tech guy lol.
    Last edited by crucialcolin; 12/22/2011 at 07:48 PM.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Heads up on my repair, they sent me an email saying it was repaired and is being sent back to me. I should have it my weds and will update what the TP looks like.

Tony
    Do you call them to set up a repair or do you do it online?
    Both (!!) times I have returned mine for a replacement case, I have done this using the Live Chat service, followed by emailing them a picture of my crack (ooh err!) - something they insist on.

The first time I sent mine in, they sent me the same one back with a new case.

The second time, they sent me a replacement.

The replacement LOOKS brand new - this is possible, because mine is a 64GB white one and these were scarce outside HP (20 sold by John Lewis and no evidence of any others in the UK.

Hopefully this will last longer....

Anyone know how to transfer the ADP from the old to the new device? I presime more Live Chat is required....
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I just received my back and it looks pretty good. The only thing that stinks is that I had a TP screen protector on it and they returned it without the protector and there just generic new product protector on it. Don't know if I will call them about it yet.

I just called the number that was on their website for the concierge service and they routed me to the right place.

Tony