Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree126Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I don't think anyone misses that point. However, you can't expect a revived platform to hit the ground running on day one with a ton of apps.
    Does anyone here really believe that webOS had a chance, and what exactly are the indicators that led you to believe that other than faith in the product? What in webOS's past led you to believe it could be a success?

I stand by my assertion that, like the Playbook, it was doomed from the start, mainly because it didn't run iOS, or to a lesser extent, Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Does anyone here really believe that webOS had a chance, and what exactly are the indicators that led you to believe that other than faith in the product? What in webOS's past led you to believe it could be a success?

I stand by my assertion that, like the Playbook, it was doomed from the start, mainly because it didn't run iOS, or to a lesser extent, Android.
    I think the anticipation of WebOS was huge. Some of the early Pre hardware was terrible. I returned mine.

I was excited about the Touchpad release but it wasn't an iPad killer. The selling point is having multiple windows open? Windows of what?
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    Yes it took Google and Apple a couple of years to get to where they are now with apps, but HP could never market with the claim that their platform is 2 years behind the times.
    HP bought Palm, then spent almost a year developing webOS 3.x, the TouchPad, Veer, and Pre 3. They wasted too much time on the software trying to get it right, even though we were going to find bugs in it anyway. For almost a year the platform was "dead" as developers and potential buyers waited for new hardware.

When the TouchPad was released in July it already had more tablet specific apps than Android (which is a shame) and HP actually was able to get some big time apps for the platform that webOS 1.4.x never had under Palm (like a Kindle App and office software). They kept adding new apps to the catalog every week. There were reports of developers event selling out. Then out of nowhere they kill the hardware.

WebOS is on hiatus right now as HP develops and implements an open source plan. Until we start seeing new hardware, we can't expect too many new developers to start supporting the platform or even to retain most of the old developers. These folks got to feed their families.

Our only saving grace right now is that Android users are notoriously cheap and webOS users for the most point aren't. Not too many developers want to develop for Android because they are having a hard time making money off of the platform. Even with Apple taking 30% off the top and Android having the upper hand in the number of devices sold, developers make more money from iOS than Android. 10tons, the developers of Sparkle HD and Azkend HD have stated that "people who use TouchPads tend to buy games more often than on many other platforms" so if we can keep up this trend, we will see a bit more apps on the platform until a new hardware hits the streets. Hopefully.....
    The majority of Touchpads were bought for $99.00. The owners aren't cheap?
    Last edited by rnld; 12/27/2011 at 05:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post

Your assertion is closed minded. History of the mobile industry will tell you that there is always room for another player. Before iOS and Android the two biggest players in the market were Blackberry OS and Windows Mobile. Look at the those platforms now. When Apple first announced the iPhone a lot of people said it could not compete against Windows Mobile. There was "no room for a third player". Even Steve Balmer made fun of them. Android was a mess when it was first released and didn't really have a hit until Verizon put some muscle behind the Motorola Droid after first being denied the iPhone by Apple. We have also asserted here that people don't care about the OS as much as they care about the hardware and the apps. They definitely don't care about the age of the OS. If someone likes HTC or Samsung makes good hardware for webOS and we see the addition of NetFlix, webOS won't have too many more issues.
    Last edited by k4ever; 12/27/2011 at 05:07 PM.
    The majority of Touchpads were bought for $99.00. They owners aren't cheap?
    Apparently us TouchPad owners tend to spend money on apps and support developers. I don't know how many arguments I have had with new users who complain about having to pay for an app after complaining about not having it for a while. I have over $100 worth of apps (most are games) on my $150 TouchPad, so I put my money where my mouth is. Besides, I originally paid full price for it and then got back over $400 during the fire sale so I can't complain too much.
    Other companies may have made fun of the iPhone but not the public.

Blackberrys problem is based on no decent updates and a system that has experienced some major outages. But it is THE business device.
    Other companies may have made fun of the iPhone but not the public.

Blackberrys problem is based on no decent updates and a system that has experienced some major outages. But it is THE business device.

The point was that iOS and Android weren't even a twinkle in anyone's eyes a few years back and look at them now.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    Awesome! May I copy your link and add it to the collection? Perhaps we need to make it a distinct thread and a "sticky" so that we can just refer to the thread and avoid these stupid debates in the future.

I guess if you don't express our disapproval with words like "Sux" and "epic fail" in capital letters, you are considered to be a sellout.

How I wish I could live the the life of the cynically hip? (NOT)

Thanks, you tell 'em.

C
    Sure you can. Good luck in your quest!

The point was that iOS and Android weren't even a twinkle in anyone's eyes a few years back and look at them now.

iOS June 2007.

Android Sept 2008.

WebOS June 2009.

iOS is just 2 years older than WebOS. Android is just 9 months older than WebOS.

WebOS is not a newcomer.
    iOS June 2007.

Android Sept 2008.

WebOS June 2009.

iOS is just 2 years older than WebOS. Android is just 9 months older than WebOS.

WebOS is not a newcomer.
    Android is much older than you post. This is an excerpt from Wikipedia:

"Google purchased the initial developer of the software, Android Inc., on August 17, 2005.[10] The unveiling of the Android distribution on November 5, 2007 was announced with the founding of the Open Handset Alliance...."

It doesn't matter how old webOS is, when and if its time comes to shine, it will shine. Nobody truly cares how old an OS is. Mobile Linux, which both Android and webOS are a part of is a lot older than all of them and it is successful (with Android).
    Rnp likes this.
    Android is much older than you post. This is an excerpt from Wikipedia:

"Google purchased the initial developer of the software, Android Inc., on August 17, 2005.[10] The unveiling of the Android distribution on November 5, 2007 was announced with the founding of the Open Handset Alliance...."

It doesn't matter how old webOS is, when and if its time comes to shine, it will shine. Nobody truly cares how old an OS is. Mobile Linux, which both Android and webOS are a part of is a lot older than all of them and it is successful (with Android).
    Android was was first in the marketplace in Sept 2008.

You are changing the point of your own post.
    So ultimately- without Android, devs, and hardware- I have to let go of my HP TouchPad. It is what they say.
    Quickly!! Don't lose your time! Give me your Paypal account, and I'll send $ 99.00 for your Touchpad NOW! (plus shipping, because I'm a very nice guy)

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    My opinion on this is there are Winners and losers. Apple and Google are winning. RIM, Microsoft, and HP are losing. If any of you leave Precentral and venture out of this safe haven you will realize that webOS isn't particuarlly getting any love from the big companies. Sure journalist/analysis say that webOS is nice, but there is always a catch to what they said.

Palm had all the hype in the world in 2009. The market was wide open for them to be quite honest. But they messed up. I can think of some ways they could have pulled webOS off when they introduced it.

* First they could have licensed it from the beginning. Making their money of licenses. Microsoft at that time was not a contender and the Droid had not been announced yet. WebOS would have been a clear favorite to companies looking for something fresh. Also have a launch partner ready at the webOS announcement. With hardware being shown in multiple forms.

* Another is they could have came out with a slab instead of a keyboard device with a 3.5 inch screen or better that directly rivaled the iPhone. Launched on the nations largest carrier Verizon. People on Verizon were looking for iPhone alternatives and would buy anything that looked like or behaved similar to the iPhone. Focused on speed of webOS instead of certain features. Get big name apps on their device to help sway people away from AT&T and the iPhone and come to Verizon and webOS. But make sure those big named apps were already made for the device and ready to launch when the device did. And don't launch the phone 6 months after announcement. That was just suicide.

There are many places were Palm and HP messed up. Sadly I beleive webOS isn't having a major comeback even with HP making it open sourced. Loyal webOS fans will just have to move on or stay with their current devices until Palm services are turned off.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Frankly, the HP board is culpable. HP board members wanted their $$$. Installing Leo A without interviewing in person is telling that these guys should get sued by share holders. **** travels downhill. And @ HP the **** started @ the very top. Inexcusable.
    Love WebOS but went over to the dark side 4 wks ago. Outside of a printer (but will look around for good alt before committing) I will not purchase HP product.
    tbh id love to see a indepth list of apps people seemingly cant live without on webOS that they can get on android, im betting most will either be games or USA only tv/media related apps that us euro or non usa lot cant use anyways.

or niche stuff that doesnt apply to 95% of the userbase.
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Apparently us TouchPad owners tend to spend money on apps and support developers.

Indeed, I have spent double on apps for my my firesale tablet (had for 4 months) as I have on android (12 months) - $4 vs $2.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Mindmap program
    Decent drawing app
    Better browser

Thats 3

Alan
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    My opinion on this is there are Winners and losers. Apple and Google are winning. RIM, Microsoft, and HP are losing. If any of you leave Precentral and venture out of this safe haven you will realize that webOS isn't particuarlly getting any love from the big companies...

Palm had all the hype in the world in 2009. The market was wide open for them to be quite honest. But they messed up. I can think of some ways they could have pulled webOS off when they introduced it.

* First they could have licensed it from the beginning. Making their money of licenses. Microsoft at that time was not a contender and the Droid had not been announced yet. WebOS would have been a clear favorite to companies looking for something fresh. Also have a launch partner ready at the webOS announcement. With hardware being shown in multiple forms.

* Another is they could have came out with a slab instead of a keyboard device with a 3.5 inch screen or better that directly rivaled the iPhone. Launched on the nations largest carrier Verizon. People on Verizon were looking for iPhone alternatives and would buy anything that looked like or behaved similar to the iPhone.... And don't launch the phone 6 months after announcement. That was just suicide.

There are many places were Palm and HP messed up. Sadly I beleive webOS isn't having a major comeback even with HP making it open sourced.
    I agree with you. The concept that there was NO way to be successful is just stupid. It's all about execution, and there were hundreds of decisions to be made - that were, at critical junctures, made poorly. (Both by the old Palm and HP).

Not sure about the licensing - though it looks good now in hindsight. I think they may have needed to build value in the brand first. But you may have a solid point, before they killed their credibility, Palm was a premier name in mobile tech... even though it had been a while since they came out with anything new. That is why they got the "free pass" from the tech press initially.

Timing (at a number of different milestones) was just awful. No need to beat that dead horse again.

Open sourcing the OS was the second worst outcome for webOS. The worst, of course, would have been if they had locked everything away in a vault and shut it all down. But the whole open source "we might make a webOS tablet in the future" thing feels like they are trying to get others to do their work so that they can reclaim the OS if it gets any traction.

Would have rather seen them do an "X Prize" type of arrangement where they allow teams to work on an OS / hardware combo. The winning team gets a large cash award and/or a few years of royalties for their work in exchange for allowing HP to jump on the gravy train that is created. (Imagine what webOS internals could do with an incentive like that!)

And totally reversing their direction was politically impossible given all of the bridges they burned with developers, resellers, suppliers, and customers. And that fact it would have been a rebuke to the entire board of directors.. the same BOD still in place at HP.

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    Mindmap program
    Decent drawing app
    Better browser

Thats 3

Alan
    2 niche programs and 1 universally useful one, personally id call that 1.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast