Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 213
Like Tree126Likes
  1. #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Understood. I will have to test on a Mac at work. It would be strange for Apple to make this easy for Windows and not Macs. By the way, iTunes was not installed on the screen shots I provided.
    I'm talking 2009-2010. I have no idea what would happen now. Presumably with the iphone no longer tethered to itunes for sync and the rise of amazon, google and other storage services, the whole process would be a lot easier. But I was responding to the initial poster who wanted to know the benefits of an 'open' system vs a 'closed' one.
  2. #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by synthos View Post
    I seriously think it was an experiment. There's a lot of people that don't think the TouchPad bill of materials was correct.
    OK. We get it. You're not satisfied with one aspect or another of HP/Webos or the
    Touchpad. Guess what, your conclusions are not new, just your join date. When you have new information on HP/Webos or the Touchpad, I am sure people will be all ears. Until such time, suggest you post less and search more. This has all been covered.

    Quote Originally Posted by synthos View Post
    And there's no way that the Playbook sold more than the TouchPad so why is it still on the shelves?
    Maybe you should go ask RIM. This is Webos Nation. Check your broswer settings, make sure your not being spoofed.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 12/23/2011 at 04:58 PM.
  3. #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I'm talking 2009-2010. I have no idea what would happen now. Presumably with the iphone no longer tethered to itunes for sync and the rise of amazon, google and other storage services, the whole process would be a lot easier. But I was responding to the initial poster who wanted to know the benefits of an 'open' system vs a 'closed' one.
    Understood. Thanks
  4. #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by synthos View Post
    I seriously think it was an experiment. There's a lot of people that don't think the TouchPad bill of materials was correct.

    And there's no way that the Playbook sold more than the TouchPad so why is it still on the shelves?
    The Playbook they are blowing out for $199?
  5. laserboy's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    ... much is open about Windows, I don't hear many people say that... If I had the money, I'd buy a real Macbook, but I installed OSX Lion on my HP Pavilion G6 for the time being :-)
    if you look in the right places, you will hear that!
  6. laserboy's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    The Playbook they are blowing out for $199?
    which I don't get. I looked at one. Who wants a 7 wants. Tiny!
  7. #107  
    Nobody has truly addressed this. What is so open about WebOS that makes it stand out from other mobile software.
  8. #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Love the ambiguous generalizations. This is a pretty diverse community and there was a wide range of responses to HP. These ranged from euphoria, to hopeful, to those who wished Lenovo or Samsung or anyone else bought the rights to webOS.

    I think you are seeing what you want to see, kind of like the people who ONLY look at Fox News or MSNBC because it confirms their pre-existing beliefs. The "John Birch Society" doesn't represent the views of all conservative; the "Animal Liberation Front" does not represent the views of all liberals... and your statement hardly represents the majority of people on the forum. But it's always fun to pick those out to make a point, isn't it?

    Try to have an open mind. Is it possible that people who had hopes for HP previously, are angry because of the execution of their plan, or perhaps more accurately their LACK of execution of a competent plan?

    It runs both ways, I've seen people (most the detractors) who initially derided HP as incompetent and a company lacking vision completely change their tune. Now they proclaim that "HP knows what it is doing, they are a multinational company" BECAUSE they choose to stop webOS development. ( Yeah, Leo A. is a management genius... suddenly) Or "if HP with all of their resources can't do it, it's because it can't be done. Even in the face of the vast majority of analysts who see them as being rudderless.

    Please don't make me pull out references and embarrass people

    C
    precentral is far from diverse. This place, for like a year and a half, has been darn near all "thou shall not disparage webos anything" or be banned. Hardly a place for an unbiased discussion. Regardless, it's either a product people should buy or shouldn't. if it was bad from the onset people were right to not buy it and the market was right to reject it. If it was a great product then they were not correct to reject it. but it doesn't go both ways. it can't be alpha and crap hardware and still say, "everyone should have bought a touchpad." Nope not if it was bad.

    Nothing changes the fact that in march touchpads where great, in June nobody could say anything was bad and all the reviewers where wrong and the Veer was not too small, and there was not software issue. Now everybody is all, HP never should have put it out cause the software was Alpha and buggy, the Veer was never gonna work, and the touchpad hardware was bad.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  9. #109  
    My question about open and WebOS is not related to it going open source, it's related to the claims that Apple has a closed system. Remember I do not have an iOs device but my wife does.

    Having a WebOS device myself, I see nothing "open" about the OS.
  10. #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    Nobody has truly addressed this. What is so open about WebOS that makes it stand out from other mobile software.
    And you haven't answered the post regarding your complete list of flat out falsehoods earlier, either.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  11. #111  
    webOS openness has somehow vanished from perspective because Apple's closed system has been so succesful. Apple's strict rules maybe even had appeal to content providers, giving them feeling of security. Its easy to comply when you can see real oportunity infront of you. On other hand, iOS hacking community enabled access to system files for those developers who needed it, and ironically, they created iOS opened same as webOS or Android.
  12. #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    And you haven't answered the post regarding your complete list of flat out falsehoods earlier, either.
    What on earth are you taking about?
  13. #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    precentral is far from diverse. This place, for like a year and a half, has been darn near all "thou shall not disparage webos anything" or be banned. Hardly a place for an unbiased discussion. ...

    Nothing changes the fact that in march touchpads where great, in June nobody could say anything was bad and all the reviewers where wrong and the Veer was not too small, and there was not software issue. Now everybody is all, HP never should have put it out cause the software was Alpha and buggy, the Veer was never gonna work, and the touchpad hardware was bad.
    There are no facts to change because your view of events are obviously myopic. There were many who said the Veer was great but many others said it was too small. (Just like there were those like the Pixi... and those who did not).

    The bans were for BAITING people in discussions where the comments were pretty obviously intended to inflame debate. I know that such a sentiment is anachronistic in our "post without consequences society", but I personally like it. As rule of thumb, if you wouldn't say it to the face of someone you respect as a friend (if or not you respect their opinion) then it's bad form to post in a forum behind the cloak of internet anonymity.

    In most companies, someone who treated their workmates in such a way would eventually be fired. And I know for a certainty that the "pro" webOS people faced similar restrictions.

    So your contentions are flat out wrong. Period. Please don't move from being mistaken to being disingenuous. I'll post theses all day... unless you promise to quit whining.

    Example #1 (not all were happy with the Veer):
    Veer anything but DOA?

    Example #2 (not all were happy with the HP takeover):
    Official- HP Buys Palm for 1.2 Bn

    Example #3 (a poll where the majority DISAPPROVE of webOS hardware moves)
    http://forums.webosnation.com/other-...ml#post2855491

    Example #4 (courtesy of Synthos - see below)
    If Samsung did it, think HP is doing the same?

    Example #5 (courtesy of k4ever - see his excellent post below)
    Official: 3.0.4 (build 77) Bug & Issue Tracking
    Last edited by C-Note; 12/27/2011 at 01:27 PM.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
  14. #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    Nobody has truly addressed this. What is so open about WebOS that makes it stand out from other mobile software.
    One thing that stands out is that all the apps (ok except pure PDK apps) are written in HTML/CSS/JavaScript which makes it easy to change them to our liking, with our beloved patches.
  15. #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by synthos View Post
    I see now that they knew what would happen from the very beginning.

    If Samsung did it, think HP is doing the same?

    Huh. Go figure.
    Thanks. Do you mind if I add this to my list showing the difference of opinion which has ALWAYS existed on this forum? And since this is still here, now nine months old, obviously this was not banned (i.e. removed)

    C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
  16. #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    There are no facts to change because your view of events are obviously myopic. There were many who said the Veer was great but many others said it was too small. (Just like there were those like the Pixi... and those who did not).

    The bans were for BAITING people in discussions where the comments were pretty obviously intended to inflame debate. I know that such a sentiment is anachronistic in our "post without consequences society", but I personally like it. As rule of thumb, if you wouldn't say it to the face of someone you respect as a friend (if or not you respect their opinion) then it's bad form to post in a forum behind the cloak of internet anonymity.

    In most companies, someone who treated their workmates in such a way would eventually be fired. And I know for a certainty that the "pro" webOS people faced similar restrictions.

    So your contentions are flat out wrong....
    C-Note, I've been battling these guys for a long time now, so I know your pain. I have answered to post by or participated in threads in these forums started by folks who's soul purpose seems to be to denigrate webOS at every turn. Most of the time they are obviously proselytizing for another mobile OS. They believe it's alright for them to talk trash about webOS with no repercussions, yet they get offended when you point out flaws in their favorite OS to the point where they start calling you names. Then they get banned or the thread gets cleansed and they complain about the mods. I've been cleansed a couple of times fighting them also, so at least there is fairness involved.

    You want to have some fun? Say that you think multi-tasking on Android or iOS is crap, and watch the fur fly. The conversations will go to how they have more apps or more users or anything but getting to the root of the statement. When you point out obvious flaws in their logic, they say you are making up excuses for webOS and your rationality is in question, even though they have spread a trail of responses that put's their rationality in question more than yours. I actually had one of them tell me that we glossed over or hid obvious flaws in webOS and/or the TouchPad. I kindly pointed him/her to this sticky asking users to report flaws that has been up since day one (the title changes with each release):

    Official: 3.0.4 (build 77) Bug & Issue Tracking

    So obviously no one is trying to gloss over or hide anything.

    People with agendas are going to challenge you at every step when you are not toeing the line for them. Keep your head up and stay in the fight. None of us want to see webOS Nation become a bulletin board for anything other than webOS!

    I remember the discussions here before the TouchPad was released pointing out the flaws in the design that was gathered from the information provided by different sources. I also remember the discussion prior to and after HP purchased webOS when everyone tried to guess the direction the company would take the platform. Most of us were not too happy with Mark Hurd's statement about not buying webOS to make cell phones. I remember most of us saying that the Sprint Pixi was going to be a failure because it did not have wifi and everyone thought the name was too girly. Some of us didn't like the lower resolution of the screen or the change in processors either. So there has been some lively and fair discussions here.
    Last edited by k4ever; 12/27/2011 at 12:43 AM.
    Rnp and C-Note like this.
  17. #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    What do you need to do that you can't do from webOS?

    Try using a non-tablet designed operating system on it (via Splashtop, or try Ubuntu or Android) and see how fun it is to use.
    personally I think everyone but a few miss the whole point...

    the consumers in the tablet market don't give a hoot if you got
    webOS/iOS/Android/etc., they want apps that work and do what
    they do...games/social media/etc.

    it's not what's under the hood(hardware/software) it's APPS...

    can't come to market and expect to compete with the likes of
    Google/Apple WITHOUT APPS.....otherwise your just spinning
    your wheels...as HP found out...

    IMO

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/12...le_front_2011/
    Last edited by fgdn17; 12/27/2011 at 06:14 AM.
  18. #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by fgdn17 View Post
    personally I think everyone but a few miss the whole point...

    the consumers in the tablet market don't give a hoot if you got
    webOS/iOS/Android/etc., they want apps that work and do what
    they do...games/social media/etc.

    it's not what's under the hood(hardware/software) it's APPS...

    can't come to market and expect to compete with the likes of
    Google/Apple WITHOUT APPS.....otherwise your just spinning
    your wheels...as HP found out...

    IMO

    No winner in Android v iPhone 2011 marathon € The Register
    I don't think anyone misses that point. However, you can't expect a revived platform to hit the ground running on day one with a ton of apps. It took both Google and Apple several years to get to the point they are now with apps. HP should have known this and tempered their expectations. Instead they honestly (or dishonestly, depending on your point of view) and/or naively thought that the TouchPad would post greater sales numbers then it did in JUST TWO MONTHS, given all the factors against it making traction early? What were they thinking? I don't think no one here expected a high adoption rate in such little time. We actually believed HP when they said that this would be a marathon, not a sprint because that made sense. Too bad they didn't believe their own rhetoric.
  19. #119  
    Yes it took Google and Apple a couple of years to get to where they are now with apps, but HP could never market with the claim that their platform is 2 years behind the times.
  20. #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    C-Note, I've been battling these guys for a long time now, so I know your pain. I have answered to post by or participated in threads in these forums started by folks who's soul purpose seems to be to denigrate webOS at every turn. Most of the time they are obviously proselytizing for another mobile OS. They believe it's alright for them to talk trash about webOS with no repercussions, yet they get offended when you point out flaws in their favorite OS to the point where they start calling you names. Then they get banned or the thread gets cleansed and they complain about the mods. I've been cleansed a couple of times fighting them also, so at least there is fairness involved...


    I remember the discussions here before the TouchPad was released pointing out the flaws in the design that was gathered from the information provided by different sources. I also remember the discussion prior to and after HP purchased webOS when everyone tried to guess the direction the company would take the platform. Most of us were not too happy with Mark Hurd's statement about not buying webOS to make cell phones. I remember most of us saying that the Sprint Pixi was going to be a failure because it did not have wifi and everyone thought the name was too girly. Some of us didn't like the lower resolution of the screen or the change in processors either. So there has been some lively and fair discussions here.
    Awesome! May I copy your link and add it to the collection? Perhaps we need to make it a distinct thread and a "sticky" so that we can just refer to the thread and avoid these stupid debates in the future.

    I guess if you don't express our disapproval with words like "Sux" and "epic fail" in capital letters, you are considered to be a sellout.

    How I wish I could live the the life of the cynically hip? (NOT)

    Thanks, you tell 'em.

    C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )

Posting Permissions