Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree126Likes
    Some of you do realize that Apple computers have been able to install Windows perfectly since the intel Macs of 2006 or so? A dual boot system is easy.

iTunes works with both Apple and PC.

What is the closed system people talk about?

What is so open about WebOS? I find WebOS to be very closed.

What is so open about Windows?
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    Some of you do realize that Apple computers have been able to install Windows perfectly since the intel Macs of 2006 or so? A dual boot system is easy.

What is the closed system people talk about?

What is so open about WebOS? I find WebOS to be very closed.

What is so open about Windows?
    Yes but iTunes has been around alot longer than iOS.

A closed system is people's way of saying it's Apple's way or the highway. You have to use iTunes to update/put media/files onto your device. Apple's devices are closed unless you use a third party way of "jailbreaking" your device. It offers little customization and Apple constantly rolls out updates to close holes in iOS that allow jailbreaking.

WebOS has a "developer mode" pre-installed which is a switch that allows root access to the operating system. It comes with the operating system stock. Parts of WebOS are already open source, but the parts needed to enhance and port the operating system are yet to be released, which is what HP recently announced.

Not much is open about Windows, I don't hear many people say that... If I had the money, I'd buy a real Macbook, but I installed OSX Lion on my HP Pavilion G6 for the time being :-)
    iOS will sync to google contacts. It will sync to any computer with iTunes. Any mp3 you have can be imported into itunes easily and synced. It'a much easier to get content onto an iOs device than a WebOS device.

I still don't understand what open about WebOS. It has been around for 3 years. What has being "open" done to make it better or give it skype or google talk like android has?
    iOS will sync to google contacts. It will sync to any computer with iTunes. Any mp3 you have can be imported into itunes easily and synced. It'a much easier to get content onto an iOs device than a WebOS device.

I still don't understand what open about WebOS. It has been around for 3 years. What has being "open" done to make it better or give it skype or google talk like android has?
    You are aware, that webOS will also sync to Google Contacts, will sync music to any computer with any kind of music software (or not, you don't even need sync software, you just drop the files onto the touchpad), and has built in Skype and Google Talk?

I'm guessing not, otherwise you wouldn't have said any of that.

As far as talking about how the software and hardware were, it's a different point entirely from how the software is now. Frankly, I think the hardware is quite nice, but it's not $700 nice. Obviously, the market seems to consider it around $300 nice.

I just opened up a new TouchPad for someone the other day, and was dinking around with webOS 3.0.0 while I didn't have a network connection to get it up to date. I couldn't -believe- how bad it was compared to 3.0.2 that I started with, and the 3.0.4 we have now. I hope that 3.0.5 will have a similar number of improvements.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    No. ITunes works in OSX and very, very, very crap in Windows.

It will sync to any computer with iTunes.
    Well, USB Mass Storage "connect" with any computer... with OR WITHOUT Crappytunes...

It'a much easier to get content onto an iOs device than a WebOS device.
    My grandmother disagree...

Oh, putz... always that same story, say that the company problem is the system problem...

Playboy, look... the webOS have no so many "fun apps" because his big problem was the companies that don't release the devices enough to sell, nor Palm and nor HP.

Best Regards... B)
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Even CNET has realized that HP's actions over the past few months were idiotic:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-573...and-the-worst/

They list Leo Apotheker as one of 2011 worst CEOs, quoted someone calling the board "the worst board of directors in the history of business", and mentioned the decision to kill the TouchPad twice as part of their evidence.

Here we are in hindsight arguing over what was recognized as a colossal mistake (terminating all webOS hardware) by the rest of the tech world as if we know better. How elitist and fickle we must be.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    C-Note and Rnp like this.
    we can sit here and argue all day long about this, and we've been doing that for quite some time, but it's really not doing any of us any good. Yet I feel I must still wander into these threads because they keep showing up new. I should be spending more time working on my apps and stuff.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Quote Originally Posted by synthos View Post
    Yes, but I didn't know the situation of webOS. And the drama and everything else. I initially wanted a Windows-like tablet. That you can do work on. And the HP TouchPad looked like the one- what I did not expect was that it would be later touted (only by the tech community) as an old fogie. I loved WebOS- and it did have strengths, but it has been squandered. WebOS forums (except for this one) is pretty empty.

Then maybe it makes more sense to be mad at yourself for not doing your homework?
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    What i find interesting is that the same people now so angry at HP and screaming about how bad the hardware is, how the software was alpha, and the price too high where all cheerleading the designs in March, claiming nothing was wrong with the software when it hit stores, posting before that that the price was just fine, mad at every review that came out and said those very same things. And truthfully what perplexes me is the line of reasoning that they argue HP released a bad product and blew it yet people should also love and buy this bad product. Regardless I find it interesting how the cheerleaders for HP's products early in the year have turned haters now who knew the products where bad all along.
    Love the ambiguous generalizations. This is a pretty diverse community and there was a wide range of responses to HP. These ranged from euphoria, to hopeful, to those who wished Lenovo or Samsung or anyone else bought the rights to webOS.

I think you are seeing what you want to see, kind of like the people who ONLY look at Fox News or MSNBC because it confirms their pre-existing beliefs. The "John Birch Society" doesn't represent the views of all conservative; the "Animal Liberation Front" does not represent the views of all liberals... and your statement hardly represents the majority of people on the forum. But it's always fun to pick those out to make a point, isn't it?

Try to have an open mind. Is it possible that people who had hopes for HP previously, are angry because of the execution of their plan, or perhaps more accurately their LACK of execution of a competent plan?

It runs both ways, I've seen people (most the detractors) who initially derided HP as incompetent and a company lacking vision completely change their tune. Now they proclaim that "HP knows what it is doing, they are a multinational company" BECAUSE they choose to stop webOS development. ( Yeah, Leo A. is a management genius... suddenly) Or "if HP with all of their resources can't do it, it's because it can't be done. Even in the face of the vast majority of analysts who see them as being rudderless.

Please don't make me pull out references and embarrass people

C
    Last edited by C-Note; 12/23/2011 at 10:46 AM.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Of course I understand mass storage on WebOS. I'm sure your grandma makes that work easily.

My point about iOS syncing with Google is about the "closed" system that some say about Apple. It seems more open than WebOS to me.

I do not own an iOS device - my wife does own a first generation iPod Touch. I believe that is from 2007. It still works perfectly.

What makes the claimed "open" system of WebOS so wonderful? THAT is my question. What is gained from the claimed open system.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Even CNET has realized that HP's actions over the past few months were idiotic:

Tech CEOs 2011: The best and the worst | Business Tech - CNET News

They list Leo Apotheker as one of 2011 worst CEOs, quoted someone calling the board "the worst board of directors in the history of business", and mentioned the decision to kill the TouchPad twice as part of their evidence.

Here we are in hindsight arguing over what was recognized as a colossal mistake (terminating all webOS hardware) by the rest of the tech world as if we know better. How elitist and fickle we must be.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    LOL Wonder how that stacks up to RIM. It would seem they should be the poster child ahead of HP.
    Of course I understand mass storage on WebOS. I'm sure your grandma makes that work easily.

My point about iOS syncing with Google is about the "closed" system that some say about Apple. It seems more open than WebOS to me.

I do not own an iOS device - my wife does own a first generation iPod Touch. I believe that is from 2007. It still works perfectly.

What makes the claimed "open" system of WebOS so wonderful? THAT is my question. What is gained from the claimed open system.
    I was on a trip a few years ago with friends. We wanted to quickly share the many photo memories of our trips before we went home. I pulled out my Palm Pre and swiftly attached it to their laptops and tranferred my photos to them.
    They pulled out their iphones but we could not transfer the photos to my laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I was on a trip a few years ago with friends. We wanted to quickly share the many photo memories of our trips before we went home. I pulled out my Palm Pre and swiftly attached it to their laptops and tranferred my photos to them.
    They pulled out their iphones but we could not transfer the photos to my laptop.
    User error

iPhone recognized as camera on Windows XP and Win 7.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sinsin07; 12/23/2011 at 01:18 PM.
    dignitary likes this.
    Not sure that is a big selling point for WebOS but it does show that the drive works like a thumb drive thru usb.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    User error

iPhone recognized as camera on Windows XP and Win 7.
    I do believe that function was just added in the last one or two system updates, though I could be wrong. I know I was surprised one day in July, when my iPod came up as a camera device, and i'd been plugging it into my computer every day for the prior 3 months.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    If I took a "Which tablet is best for you?" survey- I would come out with HP TouchPad.

In the tape, they said they could not support it for years to come. They don't have the resources. HP's obviously strapped for cash.

In an experiment, they put out a tablet, then cancelled it a few days later. All of the problems surrounding the TouchPad have to do with the company behind it, not the TouchPad itself.
    There is a history of very few updates for WebOS prior to the Touchpad. It has never kept up with it's potential.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I do believe that function was just added in the last one or two system updates, though I could be wrong. I know I was surprised one day in July, when my iPod came up as a camera device, and i'd been plugging it into my computer every day for the prior 3 months.
    Thanks, however there is no need for beliefs, that's what places of worship are for. An internet search reveals this has been discussed as far back as 2008.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 12/23/2011 at 03:26 PM.

In an experiment, they put out a tablet, then cancelled it a few days later. All of the problems surrounding the TouchPad have to do with the company behind it, not the TouchPad itself.
    The TouchPad was in the marketplace for 47 days before the plug was pulled. HP was going to lose a ton of money on it not matter what they did once retailers were shipping mega numbers of TouchPads back to HP.

They lost less by blowing them out a $99 bucks.
    stung likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Thanks, however there is no need for beliefs, that's what places of worship are for. An internet search reveals this has been discussed as far back as 2008.
    It was my mac we were trying to download to and not a win tablet. But we did not have their macs to sync their iphones to and then find the pictures and then copy them to a flash drive and then copy them from a flash drive to my mac. They did all this when they went home--went out and bought flash drives, copied them, bought mailers, put the flash drives in mailers and mailed them to me. And then I mailed the flash drives back to them.
    It was my mac we were trying to download to and not a win tablet. But we did not have their macs to sync their iphones to and then find the pictures and then copy them to a flash drive and then copy them from a flash drive to my mac. They did all this when they went home--went out and bought flash drives, copied them, bought mailers, put the flash drives in mailers and mailed them to me. And then I mailed the flash drives back to them.
    Understood. I will have to test on a Mac at work. It would be strange for Apple to make this easy for Windows and not Macs. By the way, iTunes was not installed on the screen shots I provided.
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast