Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree126Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    wasnt the return only after HP/leo announced they were dumping/abandoning pretty much everything, so no shocks there, any company would want to return defunct hardware even if it was firesales after that.
    No, the Best Buy report broke before HP decided to dump the Touchpad. BB wanted HP to take them back because they weren't moving (sold less than 10% of their stock), and HP was pleading with BB to be patient.

Perhaps BB bailing on the Touchpad pushed HP to kill it.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    wasnt the return only after HP/leo announced they were dumping/abandoning pretty much everything, so no shocks there, any company would want to return defunct hardware even if it was firesales after that.
    No. Sales had really slowed to a trickle and Best Buy wanted out. It was because of Best Buy that HP pulled the plug.

HP really over shipped and Best Buy bought into the hype that the Touchpad was going to be a hit with the public.
    Basic summary of the tape:

"After only releasing one poorly engineered tablet device with webOS, spending very little on advertising, pricing it the same as the #1 device, we were suprised that after 47 days, webOS was not magically somehow the #2 tablet OS in the world. We were hoping we didnt have to you know, do a lot of work, it was hard and we are lazy upper managment types, so **** that."

thats basically the tape. It will be laughed at in 5 years in business 101 technology classes.
    gbp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Basic summary of the tape:

"After only releasing one poorly engineered tablet device with webOS, spending very little on advertising, pricing it the same as the #1 device, we were suprised that after 47 days, webOS was not magically somehow the #2 tablet OS in the world. We were hoping we didnt have to you know, do a lot of work, it was hard and we are lazy upper managment types, so **** that."

thats basically the tape. It will be laughed at in 5 years in business 101 technology classes.
    It could simply be that they saw the writing on the wall. Nobody wanted it.

Film companies release big budget films with big stars and big advertising all the time and pull it when people fail to show up at the box office.

A stiff for whatever reason is a stiff.
    Quote Originally Posted by synthos View Post
    Well that's simply not true. All you have to do is simply walk outside with a TouchPad in you hands and you will be inundated with questions about the device. I've had 20 people ask me about it in one day.
    I showed one to my iPad-owning friend, and he immediately broke his iPad in half across his knee, shoved shards of iPad screen into my eyeballs, snatched the Touchpad from me as I flailed about blindly, then pushed me down and ran away with it.
    rnld and Vistaus like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    No, the Best Buy report broke before HP decided to dump the Touchpad. BB wanted HP to take them back because they weren't moving (sold less than 10% of their stock), and HP was pleading with BB to be patient.

It sounded sketchy, particularly given the Playbook's "stellar" performance for the previous how many months yet, they didn't do anything similar with that???
    I showed one to my iPad-owning friend, and he immediately broke his iPad in half across his knee, shoved shards of iPad screen into my eyeballs, snatched the Touchpad from me as I flailed about blindly, then pushed me down and ran away with it.
    Wow! Your friend is pretty violent.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    sinsin07, Vistaus and Rnp like this.
    True, and Best Buy obviously still had them to sell at the firesale, although it took them a minute to agree to sell them and not return to HP.
    All for One and One for All!

The fact that they weren't moving was BB's on fault. HP had offered discounts/rebates on the TouchPad, like they did for most of their products, for most of July and into August. BB was the only retailer that did not accept the discounts/rebates. BB kept the TouchPad at full price for both models (16gb and 32gb) while they were up to $150 less at Amazon, Staples, Walmart, etc. Who in there right minds would buy it from BB when they could get it cheaper from another store that, in most cases, is literally across the street/parking lot?

I also remember vividly that, at first, BB did not want to honor the fire sale rebate HP was offering for people who paid full price for the TouchPad. I bought mine at BB on launch day. I spent an entire day on the phone trying to get BB to give me a rebate or take my TouchPad back. I did not have the original thanks to a rapid exchange by HP for a cracked speaker. I was told that the local store manager would call me a back in 48 hours. Then the story broke on PC that BB was offering the rebates and doing a fire sale. I got back over $400 on my original purchase that morning and tried to buy another TouchPad for my wife, but BB had sold their entire 225k TouchPads in less than 24 hours. For 12 of those hours the stores weren't even opened.

BB caused their own problems. Leo used them as an excuse to kill the TouchPad even though it was selling like crazy everywhere else. The funny thing is that after my local BB ran out, the associates in the store that they were working with corporate and HP to get more.

Last edited by k4ever; 12/21/2011 at 03:26 PM.
    jayteeee likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    It sounded sketchy, particularly given the Playbook's "stellar" performance for the previous how many months yet, they didn't do anything similar with that???
    How do you know how many Playbooks have been returned?
    Honestly I can't believe how many people are saying "No one wanted webOS"

Do you know why? because HP didnt make people want webOS. Plain and simple.

People arent born with a desire for Apple products, it is slammed into their head from the barrage of advertising, marketing, product placement and the overall buzz created by Apple. They create a religious experience with their brand.

Honestly, if the people who are saying "people only want iOS and Android, and thats all that there is room in the world for" better be 18 years old or younger.

Do you not remember the rise and fall of Palm? Blackberry? The near death of Apple in the late 90's?

Nothing ever stays the same, and to think that Apple and Android/Google will still be as powerful as they are now in even 5 years is a complete *******ization and amazing blindness to the pace that this industry moves at.

Wake up.
    Vistaus, Rnp and jayteeee like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    It could simply be that they saw the writing on the wall. Nobody wanted it.

Film companies release big budget films with big stars and big advertising all the time and pull it when people fail to show up at the box office.

A stiff for whatever reason is a stiff.
    Not the sharpest analogy.

Lots of people wanted a tablet. Not many wanted the package HP rolled out. It may not have been cutting edger hardware but it was more than adequate (the fire sale showed that to be the case, including all of the Android fans who criticized the hardware until they had opportunity to load Android on it)

When you release a $500 dollar plus device that does nothing as well as a competing device at about he same price, what did you expect them to sell. Add value by: 1) lowering the price or 2) adding features, and it suddenly will sell... as it did.

Also, if you could change the OS of a bad movie after it's release, I'm sure they would be fewer bombs released.
    (see- the Michael Keaton "Batman" vs. the Christian Bale version)
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Rnp and jayteeee like this.
    BTW, I fail to see what was 'chilling' about the clip. It sounded like your everyday call to me.
    Why is it so hard for some to simply see that the Touchpad didn't connect?

The hindsight coulda shoulda woulda posts here have no bearing on the real world and nothing supports that any of these ideas would have worked any better. They are pure speculation.
    Pretty much the same as all of the armchair experts who pontificate on why (in their educated opinion) the TP failed when I see factual errors in their arguments. Also a selective use of facts to support preconceived ideas.

Here is an example... not all of there ideas were hindsight, many of the webOS fans were saying some of these things even as 'the coming months' dragged on BEFORE the TP launch. You can look it up if you really want to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    I think we're missing the most obvious reason the Touchpad failed -- no one wanted a webOS device except the 1% webOS faithful. The phones sold like crap, so it's no wonder the tablet also sold like crap. Yes, yes I know, at $99 they sold like crazy, but that was due to the perceived value of a $500 device dropping to $99. Even if it had been $300, chances are it would've still collected dust on store shelves.

The Touchpad was doomed the moment it was conceived as a webOS tablet.
    See above... speculation on both sides... need I say more.
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Pretty much the same as all of the armchair experts who pontificate on why (in their educated opinion) the TP failed when I see factual errors in their arguments. Also a selective use of facts to support preconceived ideas.
    Really? The Touchpad failed, that is a fact. You can try and spin it however you want but it was a dud.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    It wasn't the hardware. The touchpad is a fine piece of hardware - it feels and looks nice, hardware specs are absolutely top-notch, and it works beautifully. Overlooking a couple annoyances (the cracking speaker plastic), it's a fine device - and those little quirks could have easily been ironed out in a slightly updated touchpad design.

The problem? It was overpriced, plain and simple.
    well, i remember the sites i visit blowing the extra weight all out of proportion.

ITS 0.something POUNDS HEAVIER THAN IPAD. ITS GOING TO BREAK YOUR ARMS.
    oh well, there was this guy i know, and that was his main anti-tp argument
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Vistaus and Rnp like this.
    Really? The Touchpad failed, that is a fact. You can try and spin it however you want but it was a dud.
    And how exactly is that news? The problem is that when there is a discussion of the causes of the failure and how they may have been avoided, SOME PEOPLE feel compelled to tell everyone that those observations or conjecture is totally invalid. (Because only their opinion has any merit)

Does that sound like anyone you know?

And before you respond with invective, answer the issue I posted previously about the inaccurate hindsight statement. You really didn't see the complaints about HP strategy 9 months ago? Must not have been looking.

C
    I think everyone here has acknowledge your second sentenced. The "spin" for the failure seems to be coming from the both sides equally.

I like these debates. I don't watch soap operas or reality shows, so this tends to be my fix. However, these debates are starting to get old because everyone keeps bring up the same stuff.

To me the TouchPad seems to be a poke in the eye to users of other tablets. For one reason or another you guys just can't stop talking about it. If you like what you got then be happy and move on. I happen to like my TouchPad.

On the subject of the OP, HP wanted to be a software company. They hired a software guy. They needed an excuse to dump the hardware and unrealistic sales goals not being met for the TouchPad were it. Everyone here seems to forget that they essentially "killed" all of their consumer hardware, minus printers, at once. Not just webOS hardware, personal computers also. The webOS hardware division was the smallest and easiest to get rid of, so they went first. The PSG was next. It was just too big and too woven into the fabric of HP to get rid it of so quickly.

The turmoil over the entire fiasco cost HP to lose not just the webOS hardware division, but a quarter of its value and 90% of its cash reserves (to the Autonomy buyout). The CEO lost his job and the new CEO did an about face on ALL of his decisions. Without the cash reserves it was harder for her to fix the damage done to webOS.

The webOS hardware guys were redundant, so why waste money hiring all of them back? HP cancelled a major cell phone rollout (Pre 3 and TouchPad GO) with several cellular providers after they had already begun to print advertisements, destroying HP's credibility. This and the lack of money that I listed above is why we won't see any new webOS cell phones from HP for a while, if any. The lack of money is also the reason why we won't see a TouchPad 2 for another year. BTW, I believe that most of the tech world believes that the TouchPad has enough positive name recognition to retain the name for a new device.

We can go over and over the reasons on why the TouchPad failed or did not fail. It doesn't matter anymore. What matters is what is going to happen going forward. HP saw enough value in webOS' future and must have wanted it to succeed, so much so, that they decided to open source it instead of canning it all together. You have to be real naive to think that open sourcing the OS is not going to cost them money. At least this way they can spend the money after they get it and keep the process manageable.

Last thing for the distractors, you have under estimated the TouchPad and webOS from the start of this fiasco. You said that HP would be foolish to have a fire sale and that they would dump the remaining TouchPads in a land fill. That didn't happen. They sold them. Then you said that the TouchPads wouldn't sale at any price. They sold out in less than 4 days, causing lines at several retailers and causing several online retailer's websites to slow to a halt. You said that most of the folks buying the TouchPad were buying them just to put Android on them. That hasn't panned out. Even the folks like me who asked for Android are still using webOS and there is admitted inactivity in the TouchPad Android forum. You said that HP would sell webOS at an extremely low price to a company that would keep the patents, but shelve the OS (It is also funny that when I mention the patents as a reason to keep webOS, you tell me they aren't that valuable). HP had no reason to keep it, remember? When others mentioned open sourcing it, you said that would never happen. Well HP decided to keep it and open source it. So remember to look yourselves in the mirror also when you talk about folks being misguided or wrong. Have a Merry Christmas!

jayteeee likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    And how exactly is that news? The problem is that when there is a discussion of the causes of the failure and how they may have been avoided, SOME PEOPLE feel compelled to tell everyone that those observations or conjecture is totally invalid. (Because only their opinion has any merit)

Does that sound like anyone you know?

And before you respond with invective, answer the issue I posted previously about the inaccurate hindsight statement. You really didn't see the complaints about HP strategy 9 months ago? Must not have been looking.

C

Sure I was looking. I have been a Palm owner starting from the Vx forward.

WebOS was a good idea but buggy and sluggish. The Touchpad was launched by HP and it wasn't a contender. Nobody was more disappointed than I was. After finding the Pre to be a hardware nightmare, I am still using a Pixie. So I know WebOS pretty well. It is decent, not stellar. The TPs I have spent time with are fun tweaker toys but in no way a long term contender.

Speculate all you want to defend your $99 purchase, but the TP is very limited.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast