Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By friedscones
  • 1 Post By TheVisibleShadow
  • 2 Post By slamdunksaliby
  • 1 Post By Rnp
  1.    #1  
    my only experience with webOS is limited to my Touchpad. I love it... obviously.

I just bought a Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone running the newest Android Ice Cream
    Sandwich OS.

After a couple of day, I kept getting this feeling that the Ice Cream Sandwich operates
    in some strange similar way to my Touchpad. (my previous phones, Android Gingerbread
    and Apple iOS have absolutely nothing in common with the webOS on my Touchpad)

Any other Touchpad owners who has Android Ice Cream Sandwich feel the same way?
    dignitary likes this.
  2.    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by inertia1 View Post
    Holy cow! Doesn't the legal dept at HP/Palm make employees sign some sort contract
    banning them from taking ideas to a competitor?

I have my Touchpad and my Galaxy Nexus side-by-side right now... there are really
    some features/functions that act alike, but with different graphics/sizes.

If I didn't own a webOS device like the Touchpad, I would probably never have
    noticed it!
    Quote Originally Posted by friedscones View Post
    noticed it!
    Yeah, hard core webOS fans will be identified by their grinding teeth as Android users point out all the nifty new things they can do that webOS has done already (without malice, of course).

Sounds like you like ICS. It's good that you get new hardware!

... Grumble, grumble, grumble.
    Balooz likes this.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVisibleShadow View Post
    Yeah, hard core webOS fans will be identified by their grinding teeth as Android users point out all the nifty new things they can do that webOS has done already (without malice, of course).

Sounds like you like ICS. It's good that you get new hardware!

... Grumble, grumble, grumble.
    I actually didn't plan to get a new phone.... in fact, my Verizon Wireless
    account had been eligible for upgrade since December 2004. I just
    never bothered upgrading... A Verizon marketing rep called me and offered
    me the Galaxy Nexu for $0 and I had no choice but to accept it. She
    said it was only because they noticed that I haven't upgraded my phone for
    such a long time.
    my only experience with webOS is limited to my Touchpad. I love it... obviously.

I just bought a Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone running the newest Android Ice Cream
    Sandwich OS.

After a couple of day, I kept getting this feeling that the Ice Cream Sandwich operates
    in some strange similar way to my Touchpad. (my previous phones, Android Gingerbread
    and Apple iOS have absolutely nothing in common with the webOS on my Touchpad)

Any other Touchpad owners who has Android Ice Cream Sandwich feel the same way?
    webOS is still much smoother
    Rnp and treodoc755 like this.
    Global Posts
    1,068 Global Posts
    I actually didn't plan to get a new phone.... in fact, my Verizon Wireless
    account had been eligible for upgrade since December 2004. I just
    never bothered upgrading... A Verizon marketing rep called me and offered
    me the Galaxy Nexu for $0 and I had no choice but to accept it. She
    said it was only because they noticed that I haven't upgraded my phone for
    such a long time.
    I'm going to have to find someone with a Verizon account that hasn't been updated in a long time. Actually, one of my brothers fits in that category (he's probably been upgrade eligible since late 2007)...

Other notable devices:
    Windows laptops: Asus VivoBook X202E (Windows 8), HP Pavilion g4-1215dx (Windows 7)
    Chromebooks: Samsung Chromebook XE303
    I guess it comes not as a big surprise and both a thumbs up and thumbs down for me.

I love webOS and use it daily on my TP. I also have a Droid Bionic and have been since day one been wondering why so many people have been looking forward to something else to land on our doorsteps.

Actually, my Bionic hasn't been all dread and doom and gloom, but most things could use some heavy polish and I'm certainly hoping ICS brings some joy since otherwise I'll be moving on to something else early next year. Sorli...
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I've put ICS on my Nexus S 4G and do enjoy it. However, it is nowhere close to being what webOS is. There are some similarities, but not enough for me. I'm just hoping that, with the open sourcing of webOS, someone, some day, will port webOS to my NS4G. That would be SWEEEEEET!
    reminds me of the apple given to snow white...it looked as beautiful as the other apples, perhaps even more beautiful. But it had poison inside--whoops I mean apps--that worm into your call history, device id etc...
    Agree with satchmo here. The ICS ROM I'm running on my phone feels nothing like webOS! Great improvement but NOT webOS.Give me Android app capability on webOS after they open source it, and Cyanogenmod will be gone from my Touchpad forever.
    Holy cow! Doesn't the legal dept at HP/Palm make employees sign some sort contract
    banning them from taking ideas to a competitor?

I have my Touchpad and my Galaxy Nexus side-by-side right now... there are really
    some features/functions that act alike, but with different graphics/sizes.

noticed it!
    This is a very good thing. You don't have to discourage it. Matias can finally flex his muscle at google. It gives the webOS faithfuls stuck in this limbo an out called Android. And Android will only get better. ICS is just the beginning.
    Matias can finally flex his muscle at google. It gives the webOS faithfuls stuck in this limbo an out called Android. And Android will only get better. ICS is just the beginning.
    Putz... "ICS" was the "powerfull final promise" close to one year ago and now; after all this time, finally is here and still is only the begining?

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    the3rdlevel likes this.
    I'm glad that I'm not the only one that sees the similarity between ICS and webOS. I was just telling a co-worker that yesterday. I'm glad that Matias is at google, because like it or not, webOS was never going to go anywhere due to the poor marketing capabilities of HP/Palm.
    Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by Nechasin View Post
    I'm glad that I'm not the only one that sees the similarity between ICS and webOS. I was just telling a co-worker that yesterday. I'm glad that Matias is at google, because like it or not, webOS was never going to go anywhere due to the poor marketing capabilities of HP/Palm.
    @Nechasin:

I don't believe it was HP's "poor marketing abilities"; I think it was simple disinterest. When Hurd left, HP's priorities changed (new CEO = new direction), and Leo and his buddies had no interest in actually giving webOS devices a chance. That's why we never saw any real marketing, and I think explains the mandate to use iPad 1-generation hardware that already had been manufactured with another OS in mind (thus no gesture area)...

I suspect that if ICS' webOS-like attributes receive praise, then ICS will get more and more similar to webOS...Matias Duarte is clearly a great UI designer, and I expect we'll see many really good things come from his shop.

Just wishing it had gone differently...
    Sweet... Hopefully things will get more and more like WebOS at Google Android. I'm waiting for my Sprint Palm Pre minus to finally die. It's getting close as the crack next to the USB port is getting larger on the screen. I'm probably going Samsung Galaxy IIS as it's upgradeable to ICS. 2 more months! hopefully when it comes to Sprint!
    I dont' see it;

TP/Galaxy Nexus owner.