webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Jukebox app? Such a thing? or a music app that can act as such via a network hub?
Jukebox app? Such a thing? or a music app that can act as such via a network hub?

Old 12/18/2011, 08:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

I'd like an app that can control my music on my pc via a jukebox interface (wireless obviously). It would be nice to have an option to play the music off the touchpad if wanted but my primary use would to play music off my win7 pc that is sent to my home stereo. I'm looking for a front end that looks like a touch screen jukebox like you would see at a bar or similar.. scroll through music options etc.. maybe keep track of the top played music and some basic playlist support.

Any thoughts on making use of a current app or is this a 'request' for new?

I'd pay 20-30 for this app if it worked well. Seems like a lot of people would use this if it were available and good.
stumblinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2011, 09:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

Splashtop Remote will allow you to control any app running on your PC.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
noseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2011, 10:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumblinh View Post
I'd like an app that can control my music on my pc via a jukebox interface (wireless obviously). It would be nice to have an option to play the music off the touchpad if wanted but my primary use would to play music off my win7 pc that is sent to my home stereo. I'm looking for a front end that looks like a touch screen jukebox like you would see at a bar or similar.. scroll through music options etc.. maybe keep track of the top played music and some basic playlist support.

Any thoughts on making use of a current app or is this a 'request' for new?

I'd pay 20-30 for this app if it worked well. Seems like a lot of people would use this if it were available and good.
Splashtop, but it uses tons of resources.

And holy crap, $20-30?. If it were Android I could make that for you in a week lol. Maybe someone who's been at webOS programming for a while could make it for you. It's not a very complicated program to make.
mnm1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2011, 11:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

stumblinh, that would be great! Maybe some one could port an app like this for "WebOS" TP. This is pretty cooool!!

AlbumPlayer - Jukebox for Music Collector and Audiophile
shoutcastR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2011, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

This will be a function of my Subsonic streaming media server app that I'm working on (XO).
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2011, 03:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
This will be a function of my Subsonic streaming media server app that I'm working on (XO).
awesome.. I'm in line. IMO it Needs to be designed for touchpad use. Its aweful trying to use splashtop for this function, not to mention splashtop is pushing way more data than needed for this use.

it really needs a album/song interface similar to what you find in bars these days as well.
Old 12/20/2011, 01:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

I think I found another answer.. "the JukeBox'er" is a pretty nice jukebox app for windows (not sure what other os's if any it supports) but there is already a ios remote control app out, can anyone port this app for use on webos (TP and/or Pre's) or just make a webos version?

Pretty please.. how much would it take I'm sure it would get a few sales.. Check out the app though, has a pretty webos'ish feel to it anyway.

J River Media Center looks promising too..

Last edited by stumblinh; 12/20/2011 at 01:18 AM.
Old 12/20/2011, 06:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumblinh View Post
awesome.. I'm in line. IMO it Needs to be designed for touchpad use. Its aweful trying to use splashtop for this function, not to mention splashtop is pushing way more data than needed for this use.

it really needs a album/song interface similar to what you find in bars these days as well.
Hmm. Interesting idea. I've been just working on a standard webOS styled interface, but you may have a very interesting idea there for something in the future.

The only downside to Subsonic, is that it expects that your media library be organized in a very specific fashion, along the lines of:

Artist Name\Album Name\Artist - Song.mp3

However, MediaMonkey (PC software) allowed me to pretty quickly tidy that up, and alerted me to a few dozen duplicate files that I didn't need, also

I do not -currently- have the Jukebox functions working in it, but I do have it up and running on TouchPad and phones, and I just got video working on the TouchPad. So, now you can stream your whole music and video library. Once I work out some of the more annoying bugs and get most of my TODO list on it cranked out, I'll hopefully find some time to do the Jukebox, so that the media server will actually play the audio.

All ya'all are welcome to check out the "beta" (it's really more of an alpha) in the link in my signature, if you want a look at it, though.

stumblinh,

There's absolutely no documentation about how to talk to their server, that I am able to find on their website. If there's a coherent API that we can use to talk to it, it shouldn't be difficult for me to add it.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/20/2011, 11:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Maybe even a simple remote app to access mediamonkey 'party mode', it's not as jukeboxy in form, but the webos 3d sliding style remote will fix that. Maybe a great option.. if possible.
Old 12/21/2011, 11:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

Might want to look into VLC or Squeezebox, both are free and opensource and have remote apps for webOS.

Published TP Apps:
Anagramarama HD
Published Phone Apps
Anagramarama
DDII Free
elpollodiablo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2011, 11:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpollodiablo1 View Post
Might want to look into VLC or Squeezebox, both are free and opensource and have remote apps for webOS.
Neither is what I'm looking for, thanks though.. just have to wait and hope someone drops something more in line w/ my needs.

PS I'm not a fan of js media center, doesn't do as nice of a job identifying music as most of the similar players, the 3d album view is kinda nice but to be honest I just need a solid normal app on my PC and the 3d album view on my TP.
Old 12/22/2011, 03:11 AM   #12 (permalink)

What about apps like BHome and UPnP AV Player - or am I missing the point?
Ozpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2011, 03:44 AM   #13 (permalink)

There's an iTunes Remote app available, isn't there? For phones, but better than nothing.

Another idea: maybe there's a player software that provides a web interface for controlling? So you could just use the TP's browser.
johnnygewitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2012, 11:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Hmm. Interesting idea. I've been just working on a standard webOS styled interface, but you may have a very interesting idea there for something in the future.

The only downside to Subsonic, is that it expects that your media library be organized in a very specific fashion, along the lines of:

Artist Name\Album Name\Artist - Song.mp3

However, MediaMonkey (PC software) allowed me to pretty quickly tidy that up, and alerted me to a few dozen duplicate files that I didn't need, also

I do not -currently- have the Jukebox functions working in it, but I do have it up and running on TouchPad and phones, and I just got video working on the TouchPad. So, now you can stream your whole music and video library. Once I work out some of the more annoying bugs and get most of my TODO list on it cranked out, I'll hopefully find some time to do the Jukebox, so that the media server will actually play the audio.

All ya'all are welcome to check out the "beta" (it's really more of an alpha) in the link in my signature, if you want a look at it, though.

stumblinh,

There's absolutely no documentation about how to talk to their server, that I am able to find on their website. If there's a coherent API that we can use to talk to it, it shouldn't be difficult for me to add it.
Anything new on this front? Still waiting for just the right app
Old 01/31/2012, 12:27 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozpeter View Post
What about apps like BHome and UPnP AV Player - or am I missing the point?
BHome supports the standard upnp "play to" feature, however I've found it only plays 1 song and then exits and you can't queue so isn't great. AV Player doesn't support this yet (and I'm beginning to think it never will).
HaydnH is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0