Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wheel_nut
  1.    #1  
    I need a usb charger that could connect to the hp touchpad to the computer for a cheap price because my hp touchpads charger stop working and i want to buy a charger that could also be able to send mp3 files to the touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdosback View Post
    I need a usb charger that could connect to the hp touchpad to the computer for a cheap price because my hp touchpads charger stop working and i want to buy a charger that could also be able to send mp3 files to the touchpad
    I believe that each USB port is capable of supplying 500mA, so that implies that you will need to have 4 in parallel to charge a TouchPad.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I just picked up a new one on ebay. the touchpad usb just went out on me and my pre charger was just too slow charging it. I believe it was $.99.
    What was it you bought? Mains Charger? USB Cable? HP Branded?

Does it charge the TouchPad faster than your Pre Charger?

Could you provide a linky....
    USB 3.0 produces a lot more power than the standard 2.0 ports so there may be enough power there to charge it pretty well.

I will have to give it a shot and let you guys know if it works. In my 2.0 port I do not get any charge dialog just mass storage mode options.
    Quote Originally Posted by ViciousXUSMC View Post
    USB 3.0 produces a lot more power than the standard 2.0 ports so there may be enough power there to charge it pretty well.

I will have to give it a shot and let you guys know if it works. In my 2.0 port I do not get any charge dialog just mass storage mode options.
    It makes no difference whether a USB 3.0 port provides more power or not. The TouchPad will only draw as much current as it is programmed to, depending on the status of the USB data lines:

Connected to USB host - draws ~400ma, gives "usb drive"/"close" dialog, no charge icon
    Open - draws ~400ma, gives "may not charge" warning, no charge icon
    Shorted - draws ~900ma, gives "may not charge" warning, no charge icon
    Shorted and held at ~2.5v via resistors to +5V and G - draws up to 2A, shows charge icon

You can hook a touchpad up to a 5V,500A power supply, but it's not going to draw any more current than it's supposed to according to the above conditions.

(edit: I posted on this before in some detail; this post: charge your touchpad without the ac adapter and the one two posts later)
    just google touchpad replacement charger, just remember the Touchpad won't charge on any computer/with the usb cord alone. The cord is only able to transfer files, a TouchPad won't charge unless its plugged into a socket.
    Quote Originally Posted by godzillinois View Post
    just google touchpad replacement charger, just remember the Touchpad won't charge on any computer/with the usb cord alone. The cord is only able to transfer files, a TouchPad won't charge unless its plugged into a socket.
    not true at all.
    you talking about some sort of aftermarket USB cord? I'm pretty sure my TouchPad even tells me to plug it into the wall if I want to charge it whenever I plug it into my laptop. If its charging then it doesn't show that it is and the percentage doesn't change even after an hour
    With the TP screen @ 'off' and the unit plugged into a live 5v 500ma+ USB outlet, it will charge VERY SLOWLY.
    It only whinges at you about this because the software/hardware 'expects' a full 2A, as per the output of the standard HP chargers or Wheel_nut's modified USB car charger units.
    If you connect it to a USB 3.0 port, it'll charge faster. If you connect it to a USB port that has some kind of "fast charge" enhancement, as the front ports on my motherboard do (they put out 1A max instead of 500mA for the USB 2.0 standard), it'll charge faster.

I think they charge decently even on a 500mA charger, though, if you've got it in airplane/screen off. Hell, I can slow-charge on a coworker's 600mA Android phone charger, while using it ..
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    The TouchPad will NOT accept charge at much over 300mA unless the Data Lines are correctly configured at the Charger port. With the TouchPad idling, it may charge VERY slowly but if in use, it will show a net discharge.
    Last edited by Wheel_nut; 12/20/2011 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Typo
    chicle11 likes this.
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    With the TP screen @ 'off' and the unit plugged into a live 5v 500ma+ USB outlet, it will charge VERY SLOWLY.
    In the first holidays of my webOS era I took only the Pre 3 charger because I thought that all chargers are the same. My brother's kids drained the battery on the first day, and the TouchPad was always complaining about the charger. I've just shut it down and connected to the charger during night - the next day the battery was full again.
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    ... just like Mutoidi said it would do....
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    this is what I bought. I have the plug already for the touchpad, its the pre charger plug that seems to charge slower than that. I just needed the usb. hopefully this will work, all the other cords I've gotten from ebay work on my pre.

New For Palm Pixi Pre USB DATA+CHARGER CABLE+0 | eBay
    Quote Originally Posted by ananniia View Post
    this is what I bought. I have the plug already for the touchpad, its the pre charger plug that seems to charge slower than that. I just needed the usb. hopefully this will work, all the other cords I've gotten from ebay work on my pre.

New For Palm Pixi Pre USB DATA+CHARGER CABLE+0 | eBay
    that's just a standard USB 'A' to Micro USB cable. nothing special about it, it will do exactly what the cable that came with your touchpad or pre will do. It will power your touchpad according to what you plug it in to; it has nothing at all to with the cable.
    So how slow are we talking here? Whats it take like 5 hours to charge to full on a 2.0 USB? If someone is trying to survive only off of a TouchPad USB cord for power then they're screwed. And are you guys saying that it charges FASTER when its on as opposed to when its off?
    from a near dead battery, charging via USB or equivalent, probably 20 hours with the device on but screen off... a couple hours quicker if the device is actually off. My observation is that the touchpad draws about 100ma when 'sleeping'.

if you go up to post #6 in this thread I linked to a couple of posts where I give much more detail about this topic
    If you're at a completely dead battery (ie, you tap power, the red BATTERY icon comes up), you're looking at probably 12 hours or so to charge it from a standard USB 2.0 connection, assuming that you're not going to try to actually use it during that time frame. I haven't really timed it, but I'd guess that a Touchstone charge from dead to full would be about 7-8 hrs, and a regular AC charge, probably around 5-6 hrs.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are: