Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40
Like Tree40Likes
  1.    #1  
    I just happen to catch this vid in the "Revision3" app,....

    so does this mean devs are not going to support/make any more future apps because "HP" decision?

    Plus he also states that you can't put a game emulator on the "Touchpad"???

    Oh, and the TP is only worth $99.00 too?

    He is joking, right?

    Ask The Buffalo: Transformer Prime, Quadcore iPad, and the Titan - TechnoBuffalo
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12/13/2011 at 09:57 PM. Reason: updated inappropriate title
  2. #2  
    meh...wouldn't sweat it too much. wait and see seems like the way to go with webOS.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Quills View Post
    wait and see seems like the way to go with webOS.
    When is it not?
  4. matchqq's Avatar
    Posts
    290 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    #4  
    I like technobuffalo, but every time I see this guy is a episode I skip it. And from what he says here he clearly don't know the resell market of Touchpad.
  5.    #5  
    I really like "WebOS" and I don't understand why these sad and misguided people continue the witch hunt. It's like their almost frothing at the mouth hoping, wishing that "WebOS" is going to fail. I don't get all the hate. Lets see what happens first with future updates, apps etc. Then start the foolish, rants if the OS does fail, not before.

    Peace.

    Videos - Free video downloads and streaming video - CNET TV
    Saltcreep likes this.
  6. #6  
    re-read any hate posts and it hardly even qualifies as webOS hate, its app starvation hate the posts end up moaning about rather than the actual OS.

    Ittl always be, blah blah etc webOS sucks as an OS because it doesnt have ABC-XYZ apps, which ofc has jack all to do with an OS, some people just use the webOS name as a convenient and misguided way to express themselves when talking about apps not an OS.
  7. #7  
    I thought this forum was a place for webOS users to come and discover new ways to better their user experience and help resolve issues, silly me.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by inertia1 View Post
    Why simply dismiss the skeptics as haters? Is it that much easier than to debate the issue? Or is this forum for cheerleading, only?
    Cheerleading only. ;p

    In all seriousness though, webOS fans are a unique group, like Philadelphia Eagles fans...they are willing to boo their own team, because it's their team and because they genuinely care. But naturally, even when they do, that doesn't give non-fans the right to boo their team.

    There is plenty of honest debate here without the outside haters.
    laoh, cobrakon, sweaner and 2 others like this.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by inertia1 View Post
    Why simply dismiss the skeptics as haters? Is it that much easier than to debate the issue? Or is this forum for cheerleading, only?
    The guy calls it Sony webOS... LOL

    He lost all credibility after that.

    Lol lol

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    re-read any hate posts and it hardly even qualifies as webOS hate, its app starvation hate the posts end up moaning about rather than the actual OS.

    Ittl always be, blah blah etc webOS sucks as an OS because it doesnt have ABC-XYZ apps, which ofc has jack all to do with an OS, some people just use the webOS name as a convenient and misguided way to express themselves when talking about apps not an OS.
    I'm not so sure...I mean, you are right that a notable amount of the 'hate webOS' postings are about the lack of apps, but there are quite a few disparaging the performance of webOS, the fact that it won't let you do this or that. True that some of those are really hardware issues, not OS issues, but I think there is more 'hate webOS' for the OS sake than you were indicating in your post. Is it a significant amount...probably not...but it's present and accounted for...Bueller....Bueller...
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

    I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I thought this forum was a place for webOS users to come and discover new ways to better their user experience and help resolve issues, silly me.
    yep, that is exactly what this community is about!
    Vistaus likes this.
  12. #12  
    I'm sorry but that girl's face just looks like she's just a very bitter person in general.

    "...webOS was something that people thought was really great, really easy, really intuitive... actually it wasn't really easy or really intuitive... but it was neat and very different...."

    Huh? Is she technically challenged? Sorry, closed the podcast after that.
    Vistaus likes this.
  13. #13  
    All hating aside, what If the Op's point (intended or not) is framed differently? What if the observation were that tech bloggers seem to disproportionately be rooting for WebOS to fail as a legitimate alternative to iOS, Android, WinMob7, etc..? People root for or against all sorts of things all the time. Sometimes for rational reasons, sometimes not. Maybe the Op's question, certainly my question, is what is their motivation to want WebOS to go away, versus wanting the right things to happen so that it succeeds? Not suggesting a conspiracy, just trying to understand the reason for the trend..
  14. #14  
    I think the reason for the "hate" is because of bitter disappointment. After being praised so much at the 2009 CES the Pre (and by association webOS) didn't live up to inflated expectations.
    And now being cast into the sea of Open Source, webOS is being written off because they don't envision a way it can succeed that way.
    I think there's a chance it might succeed, but a narrow one. Still, I hope for the best.
    But does, "I hope for the best" sound like something you EVER hear from news reporters or analysts? If you want to hang on to hope, give up the news.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    The guy calls it Sony webOS... LOL

    He lost all credibility after that.

    Lol lol

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    The dudes are just uninformed. They thought the ebay refurb firesale was coming up when it had passed already. The main host said Windows phone was the most closed OS... which the lady corrected him by saying apple is...

    Sorry, going back to VergeCast and Phonedog Sydney's podcast
  16. #16  
    Expressing frustration about what has led to its current status, and listing what is currently wrong with the OS is one thing. Those are based on the facts. But those things can, and should, be separated from whether someone's desire is for a positive or negative outcome for the OS - because desire is ultimately based on free will. It just seems like there's a lot of ill will for webOS out there.

    I'm mad at how Palm and HP handled webOS. I get torqued every time my Pre- wigs out on me, and at the lack of apps for my Touchpad. But I have a desire for future events to lead to the OS improving and surviving.

    I expect more industry people to be a little less partial to their unspoken OS of choice, and to root for more mobile OS options, not less.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by inertia1 View Post
    HP cancelled all of their hardware and is basically putting the software out on the curb for anyone else to use. What do you expect tech bloggers to say about that?
    Ouch!
    I laughed hard at that one, but you have a point.

    While I wont delve deep into it, I firmly believe that a part of the reason for the 'hate' is deeply rooted in things psychological. Its easy to discern objectivity, which is often gotten from the likes of Tom Merritt (TWIT), Molly Wood (CNET), Bonnie Cha (CNET), J Topolsky most of the time, and others. IMO though, the Brian Tongs of the blogosphere (as funny as I think he is) have a 'psychological axe' to grind, and grind they do, under the veil of tech blogging.

    We can liken it to a phobia that prevents one from adequately dealing w/ real or perceived competition, which is interpreted as a threat to his or her established zone of comfort. The logical response, then, is one where hate is projected on the object of the threat.
    {removes classical psychoanalyst hat}

    Rockefeller said that competition is a sin. While he had profits and power at interest, extreme fanatics generally have personal weaknesses and easily bruised egos to feed. Competition in their eyes is a strike at their 'precious' (whatever that may be). They lash out at anyone who is not of the cool aid-drinking flock.
    Saltcreep and treodoc755 like this.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by inertia1 View Post
    My analysis is more simple than that. If someone says something that you don't like or don't agree with then you can try to refute it. However, this requires some work. It also requires the you prove your point.

    It's easier - much easier - to simply dismiss the argument and the person by calling them a hater. That way you don't even have to consider the validity of what they are saying - just dismiss it. "Haters gonna hate". It works for just about any post that that you don't like.
    "Simple" is a good description of your analysis.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by inertia1 View Post
    My analysis is more simple than that. If someone says something that you don't like or don't agree with then you can try to refute it. However, this requires some work. It also requires the you prove your point.

    It's easier - much easier - to simply dismiss the argument and the person by calling them a hater. That way you don't even have to consider the validity of what they are saying - just dismiss it. "Haters gonna hate". It works for just about any post that that you don't like.

    I think we can safely say, though, that the predictions of the naysayers over the past three years (you know, the ones who said "Palm is Dead", "webOS will never catch on", etc.) have been a lot more accurate than most, given where we are right now.
    Ever hear the term FUD? Stands for "Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt" and is *frequently* spread here. I'm really curious what you call it when you refute someone's argument with facts and the maintain their (inaccurate) position? "Objective logic" or "Hateration"?

    When someone comes into a store hearing about that "Cool new Palm phone" and their designated sales rep tells them that "It a bad phone, doesn't have WiFi, has no apps or games (almost 1000 at that time and PDK games were released) and that they should be a Droid, that "objective logic" or flat out falsification and hate?

    People are STILL surprised when they see me playing NOVA or NFS in public and ask if its and "Android phone" and I tell them its the Palm Pre, and they say "I thought that phone didn't have any apps?"

    P.s. TouchPad is over 1100 after Launching with 305. Six hundred of those coming after it was KIA <staff edit - language>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12/16/2011 at 11:19 AM. Reason: circumventing language filters
  20. #20  
    inertia1, I fully agree w/ your first two points!

    Quote Originally Posted by inertia1 View Post
    I think we can safely say, though, that the predictions of the naysayers over the past three years (you know, the ones who said "Palm is Dead", "webOS will never catch on", etc.) have been a lot more accurate than most, given where we are right now.
    We can safely say that, but it would be a mere interpretation that does not necessarily bear on the truth. For e.g., does it mean they actually 'predicted' it 3 years out? And if they, like others, cant 'predict' the future, then it makes the point moot.

    As another interpretation, we can also safely say that the naysayers made statements all having probabilities of .5 or IOW, 50/50. W/ those kinda numbers, it was bound, and equally likely to go either way. I wont call a head/tail flip of a coin a prediction; a hope or gamble maybe.

    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon
    When someone comes into a store hearing about that "Cool new Palm phone" and their designated sales rep tells them that "It a bad phone, doesn't have WiFi, has no apps or games (almost 1000 at that time and PDK games were released) and that they should be a Droid, that "objective logic" or flat out falsification and hate?
    It could be - and was likely - plain old ignorance. As ppl, we have a tendency to misinform and stretch the facts than to man up and say we dont know. Could also have been motivated by $ or commission from the sale.
    Last edited by p41m3r; 12/15/2011 at 02:40 PM.
    Vistaus and treodoc755 like this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions