Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40
Like Tree40Likes
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by inertia1 View Post
    My analysis is more simple than that. If someone says something that you don't like or don't agree with then you can try to refute it. However, this requires some work. It also requires the you prove your point.

    It's easier - much easier - to simply dismiss the argument and the person by calling them a hater. That way you don't even have to consider the validity of what they are saying - just dismiss it. "Haters gonna hate". It works for just about any post that that you don't like.
    http://sbn.to/rYidI5

    Is my answer to you


    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  2. #22  
    Thx for the laugh; I just saved that image.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by shoutcastR View Post
    I really like "WebOS" and I don't understand why these sad and misguided people continue the witch hunt. It's like their almost frothing at the mouth hoping, wishing that "WebOS" is going to fail. I don't get all the hate. Lets see what happens first with future updates, apps etc. Then start the foolish, rants if the OS does fail, not before.

    Peace.

    Videos - Free video downloads and streaming video - CNET TV
    I didn't see anything wrong. a podcast discussing the future of webos is not "misguided, frothing, "wishing" webos to fail, or hate. And i surely don't equate expressing an opinion about the future of webos as a witch hunt. The palmcast has discussed the exact same issues for months. They expressed an opinion, one held by a lot more people then just them by the way, that open source isn't going to make webos a big success. Even Derek Kessler has discussed the hurdles an open source os faces, the fact that we are unlikely to see devices anytime soon, that webos on a phone may be a thing of the past anyways since HP has no interest in the phone business. And recently they mentioned the the fact that if the only way to use webos is to hack it on an existing device then getting widespread adoption and lots of develpor support will be tough. To be bit you need new commercial devices and that will be tough in the future. People need to stop being so hyper sensitive and stop crying every time someone brings up what they think is a negative about either the OS specifically or the state of the future of the OS.

    Their statements were not hate in my book it was their opinion and they seemed reasonable. And But Precentral is full of it's own hate. hate for apple. hate for android. No different. They are just on a different side of the fence. It's still hating though.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    dignitary likes this.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    The guy calls it Sony webOS... LOL

    He lost all credibility after that.

    Lol lol

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    dude. sony webos is the best. what you smokin' ?
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by inertia1 View Post
    If someone says something that you don't like or don't agree with then you can try to refute it. However, this requires some work. It also requires the you prove your point.

    It's easier - much easier - to simply dismiss the argument and the person by calling them a hater. That way you don't even have to consider the validity of what they are saying
    best line in this thread.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    dignitary likes this.
  6. #26  
    best line in this thread.
    why you gotta hate?


    Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by shoutcastR View Post
    Why so much hate about "WebOS"???
    For the answer we must turn to Master Yoda. "Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

    So apparently they fear webOS and it's power over their favorite OS and eventually they will suffer for their hate.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

    I also take custom kb layout requests.

    Grabber5.0 likes this.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    For the answer we must turn to Master Yoda. "Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

    So apparently they fear webOS and it's power over their favorite OS and eventually they will suffer for their hate.
    Much knowledge you have gained, learned well you did
  9. Loiter's Avatar
    Posts
    682 Posts
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    #29  
    I don't know if there is "hate". But I'm sure that tech "gurus" and "critics" have been very unfair in many of their reviews for webOS products. I don't know if the Veer really deserved the beating, but I find that other products like Pre2 and Pre3 and the Touchpad are much better than what some people tried to say.
    And I find it hugely dissapointing when I read a webOS product review and they exaggerate, even discovering problems that don't exist, while they "forget" to mention many drawbacks of others OS and products in their reviews.
  10. c000's Avatar
    Posts
    665 Posts
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    #30  
    I didn't look at the link, but I have seen on other forums and other comments made by people about how "web0s is teh sux" (or similar)

    a lot of times, its just a blanket statement, or giving some mirage of validity by presenting "evidence" based on claims they may have read from other forums.

    ironically seems like a lot of that hate comes from people that don't even have a touchpad.

    unless a person has used both ipad, touchpad, and android tablet, how can a person reasonably come to any unbiased conclusion as to which is actually "better"
    k4ever likes this.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    And But Precentral is full of it's own hate. hate for apple. hate for android. No different. They are just on a different side of the fence. It's still hating though.
    This is not directed solely at you. However, this statement is the biggest misrepresentation of this site and the webOS fans who frequent it. There is no outright hatred for Android or for Apple. When a person says that Android or iOS is not for them, it is simply not for them. That is not a hatred of anything. Yet we have to waste precious time and energy defending our position on what is suppose to be a webOS fans site. Sad part about it is that this is a webOS site, not an Android or iOS site, so we shouldn't have to defend our position on why we prefer webOS (its kind of a given).

    Most of us here own and use both Android and iOS products and base our opinions off of our experiences. I am a long time Android and iOS user. I also keep up to date on Android and iOS news by frequenting sites like Endgadget, BGR, CNET and several forums. What gets me is when I post what I dislike about Android or iOS or a problem I'm having, then someone tells me I'm wrong, I'm misrepresenting the problem, or I don't really use the system. What??? When I point out the problem I'm having is well documented in several forums and on several tech sites (even with solutions!!), I'm told that it is not really a big issue or I should not have bought device X or there is a way around it that requires me breaking the warranty on my device or I should wait for the next release or why am I trying to do that anyway. Never an acknowledgement of the problem. Just "how dare you talk bad about my OS".

    But then that's the rub. That's what it has come down to. If you talk bad about webOS on a webOS site it's ok, but if you talk bad about another OS or try to defend webOS it's not ok? How does that work? Isn't that a bit backwards?

    So, to me what causes so much friction on PreCentral/webOS Nation is the constant badgering of webOS by folks who took the time to become members of this community. We wonder out loud what you folks are doing here if not to spread fear, uncertainty, and doubt? You are definitely not helping. This is a community of webOS fans who try their best to help one another out and through the difficult times our community is facing. This is not the place to belittle webOS or proselytize for another operating system, which, I believe, is what you guys want to make it.

    You know what's so sad about this? No matter what you guys try this community is strong and getting stronger. However, the break off communities that you attempt to start aren't (cough, cough, TouchPad forum on Android Central where no one answers anyone's questions but tells you how good Android is, cough, cough). Maybe it's because you waste so much time here belittling webOS instead of helping out there? Just a thought...
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    I don't know if there is "hate". But I'm sure that tech "gurus" and "critics" have been very unfair in many of their reviews for webOS products. I don't know if the Veer really deserved the beating, but I find that other products like Pre2 and Pre3 and the Touchpad are much better than what some people tried to say.
    And I find it hugely dissapointing when I read a webOS product review and they exaggerate, even discovering problems that don't exist, while they "forget" to mention many drawbacks of others OS and products in their reviews.
    I agree. It's really bad with Apple products. It seems that Apple generation one devices are given a pass. That pass is quickly forgotten when another generation one product challenges Apple's next generation product. The original iPhone is a big example of that. It did not have cut and paste, multitasking, office software or apps in general, voice commands, and the software was buggy as hell. However, it was a generation one device. It will get better is what tech journalist said even though they had no evidence to back that up.

    Fast forward to now and no other generation one devices are given the same treatment. There is no room for them to get better in these same journalist eyes. We know what happened to the TouchPad with the reviews. Look at what is happening to the Kindle Fire. Heck, the TouchPad was the same weight as the iPad and all of a sudden it was too heavy to succeed.

    Also, major problems with other products are not a big deal but minor problems with webOS products are. I remember the infamous CNET Prize Fight were the iPhone was not docked points when they couldn't make a call on it yet the Pre was docked points in the same category because apps did not launch fast enough. Funny thing was the category was about call quality. The iPhone won the prize fight by what was at the time the smallest margin in Prize Fight history:

    Prizefight: Palm Pre vs. iPhone 3GS - CNET Reviews

    How is not being able to make a phone call a minor issue for a cell phone yet app launch time is a major issue? Especially in that category?

    I believe that most tech journal are totally biased, one sided, and change the rules all the time to make their pet device stand out. You are better off buying devices from a store that has a good return plan and evaluating the devices yourself than reading most of their dribble.
    Loiter likes this.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiter View Post
    I don't know if there is "hate". But I'm sure that tech "gurus" and "critics" have been very unfair in many of their reviews for webOS products. I don't know if the Veer really deserved the beating, but I find that other products like Pre2 and Pre3 and the Touchpad are much better than what some people tried to say.
    And I find it hugely dissapointing when I read a webOS product review and they exaggerate, even discovering problems that don't exist, while they "forget" to mention many drawbacks of others OS and products in their reviews.
    It's not only iOS either. I've seen this with Android vs webOS also.

    I watch a review where an obvious Android fan (dude even said so) was comparing an Android product (if I remember right it was the Galaxy Tab) to the TouchPad. The review was going back and forth with good points on both sides, until it got to email. The TouchPad's email client was a lot better than the Android email client except for one thing: threaded GMail. The TouchPad, a device made by HP, could not do threaded Google Mail better than a device running Google's operating system. Who would thought that? However, all of a sudden, based on that one fact, the TouchPad was not recommended by him and the TouchPad's email client was crap because it could not to this. Really? Really?

    I've been using GMail since it was invitation only. I've never cared for threaded email, even though I think it's cool. Since I, like many others, have multiple email accounts using different protocols that I have to monitor, having an unified inbox to look at all of my emails from these accounts at once along with a ton of protocol support is a little more important than threaded support for GMail. Heck, I am the only GMail user in my family that actually uses the service. My father, mother, brother, sister, son, and daughter all have GMail accounts that they don't even use. Half of them did not even know they had a GMail account until I told them that you get one when you sign up for Google services on your Android phone. So I don't think they care about thread messages also.

    Then there is rooting. What a subject! The bias comes out big time here. When the TouchPad was first introduced, reviewers were rightfully panning it because of some sluggishness caused by all the syncing with HP servers. Not too many of them covered the tweaks you can do to the device to make it run a lot faster and smoother.

    These tweaks require installing patches from the homebrew community by putting your device in developer mode, webOS' version of rooting, and installing PreWare. That is not even covered in most reviews and when it is, the reviewer asks rightfully why HP did not do this from the start and blows it off.

    Oh the inhumanity of having to do this! Yet the same bunch of reviewers go on and on about the benefits of rooting an Android devices or jailbreaking an iOS device. They even point you to the sites and programs that allow you to do it.

    What they don't tell you about, or speak very softly about, is that in the vast majority of cases what you are doing violates your warranty on your device. If you run into a problem, you have to reset your device (ie, erase all the work you have done and your data) before you take it in for even the simplest of repairs. Not all Android devices can be rooted and both Apple and Android device makers are constantly updating their operating systems to discourage rooting/jailbreaking. HP/Palm doesn't do this, never have done this, and even gave the community the code to "root" the device. But it is not alright to root a webOS device? Really?

    Let's talk widgets. I love widgets and wish webOS had a more efficient version of them. I have seen reviews where both webOS and iOS are panned for not having widgets. Then, get this, the same reviewer tells folks who complain about Android's poor battery life to turn off and not use the widgets they just panned webOS/iOS for not having. Are you kidding me? If widgets are so great, why have people turn them off? Why are they allowed to eat up so much battery power? Why was this not mentioned in your initial review before you convinced the reader to buy the device? You bring this up after the fact? Really?
    Last edited by k4ever; 12/18/2011 at 10:40 AM.
    Loiter, sinsin07 and cobrakon like this.
  14. #34  
    Last thing I want to bring up, as I am typing this from my 4.3 inch HTC EVO 3D, is screen size. I remember when reviewers panned the Pre for its screen size. It was too small. Not one mention that there were popular phones with smaller screen sizes like most Blackberries. The iPhone was better because the screen was bigger. However, when 4.1 to 4.3 inch Android phones came out, their screens were all of a sudden too big. The bias did not work in reverse.

    Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
  15. Loiter's Avatar
    Posts
    682 Posts
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    #35  
    I agree with many points of your posts. These are some good examples of what I'm talking about. The pros of webOS get the "ah, ok it does that" and the cons are "WOW, not worhti it". Sometimes the cons are not really cons (like the thing with the widgets or the size of the Veeer) but just a matter of preferences.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    It's not only iOS either. I've seen this with Android vs webOS also.

    I watch a review where an obvious Android fan (dude even said so) was comparing an Android product (if I remember right it was the Galaxy Tab) to the TouchPad. The review was going back and forth with good points on both sides, until it got to email. The TouchPad's email client was a lot better than the Android email client except for one thing: threaded GMail. The TouchPad, a device made by HP, could not do threaded Google Mail better than a device running Google's operating system. Who would thought that? However, all of a sudden, based on that one fact, the TouchPad was not recommended by him and the TouchPad's email client was crap because it could not to this. Really? Really?

    I've been using GMail since it was invitation only. I've never cared for threaded email, even though I think it's cool. Since I, like many others, have multiple email accounts using different protocols that I have to monitor, having an unified inbox to look at all of my emails from these accounts at once along with a ton of protocol support is a little more important than threaded support for GMail. Heck, I am the only GMail user in my family that actually uses the service. My father, mother, brother, sister, son, and daughter all have GMail accounts that they don't even use. Half of them did not even know they had a GMail account until I told them that you get one when you sign up for Google services on your Android phone. So I don't think they care about thread messages also.

    Then there is rooting. What a subject! The bias comes out big time here. When the TouchPad was first introduced, reviewers were rightfully panning it because of some sluggishness caused by all the syncing with HP servers. Not too many of them covered the tweaks you can do to the device to make it run a lot faster and smoother.

    These tweaks require installing patches from the homebrew community by putting your device in developer mode, webOS' version of rooting, and installing PreWare. That is not even covered in most reviews and when it is, the reviewer asks rightfully why HP did not do this from the start and blows it off.

    Oh the inhumanity of having to do this! Yet the same bunch of reviewers go on and on about the benefits of rooting an Android devices or jailbreaking an iOS device. They even point you to the sites and programs that allow you to do it.

    What they don't tell you about, or speak very softly about, is that in the vast majority of cases what you are doing violates your warranty on your device. If you run into a problem, you have to reset your device (ie, erase all the work you have done and your data) before you take it in for even the simplest of repairs. Not all Android devices can be rooted and both Apple and Android device makers are constantly updating their operating systems to discourage rooting/jailbreaking. HP/Palm doesn't do this, never have done this, and even gave the community the code to "root" the device. But it is not alright to root a webOS device? Really?

    Let's talk widgets. I love widgets and wish webOS had a more efficient version of them. I have seen reviews where both webOS and iOS are panned for not having widgets. Then, get this, the same reviewer tells folks who complain about Android's poor battery life to turn off and not use the widgets they just panned webOS/iOS for not having. Are you kidding me? If widgets are so great, why have people turn them off? Why are they allowed to eat up so much battery power? Why was this not mentioned in your initial review before you convinced the reader to buy the device? You bring this up after the fact? Really?
    You make some valid observations there.
  17. #37  
    I dont know does enyone remembers Eric the Viking movie and part where Hy-Brasil is sinking? There is lot of similarities with Hy Brasil and webOS. Try to find clip at YouTube. I think guy who yelled that HyBrasil is sinking could be labeled as hater
  18. #38  
    I say some of the webOS 'lovers' are at least as dumb, annoying, redundant and misinformed as any hater.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    re-read any hate posts and it hardly even qualifies as webOS hate, its app starvation hate the posts end up moaning about rather than the actual OS.

    Ittl always be, blah blah etc webOS sucks as an OS because it doesnt have ABC-XYZ apps, which ofc has jack all to do with an OS, some people just use the webOS name as a convenient and misguided way to express themselves when talking about apps not an OS.
    Software (apps) are an integral part of any computing device. They provide functionality. An OS is only as good as it's software support.
  20. #40  
    WebOS has good points but it has nothing to make it truly a contender of iOS and Android.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions