Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree28Likes
    This looks more like a possible Windows OS with the multiple blocks of information on the screen at once.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    I like the lack of a large bezel. Hope all tablet makers are shifting in this direction.
    The bezel is pretty much required due to the technological and durability limitations of larger portable LCD screens. If you dropped it, you'd snap not only the glass but the LCD screen, tripling the repair costs. You can do this with an LCD/LED TV because it's mounted, but when it comes to portables above smartphone size it just isn't feasible yet if you want to keep the device light enough to compete.

Which makes this concept pretty much useless from a real-world perspective, unfortunately.
    Global Posts
    208 Global Posts
    I support any tablet design that removes the current fashion for a one inch bezel ...
    The video is now available on youtube:

Ah ha! It's about the new HP logo and nothing more.
    spud101 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    I like the lack of a large bezel. Hope all tablet makers are shifting in this direction.
    Althought I agree (the thin bezel is aesthetically pleasing) I think it would hinder functionality, i.e. how would you hold the tablet without interfering with the touchscreen? But i do agree, it looks soooo sweet.
    ShiftyAxel likes this.
    I agree I have worked in the auto industry for years concepts are like dreamy presentations to make people excited.Looks like it is working!! Until HP can come up with a balance of cost to build and SUPPORT after sales are made they will be held with skeptacism from a market that researches products.Plenty negative imbedded on the net relating to HP's handling there touchpad.In defense they made mistakes and the profits margin was horrible.But knee jerk reactions over and over again are just pushing the other tablets in to solid holds on the market.Oh yeah Web Os is awesome.
    I like the shape and screen size/body border ratio, looks very much like a Samsung Galaxy SII phone
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    This looks more like a possible Windows OS with the multiple blocks of information on the screen at once.
    I agree. This looks more like a concept of a Windows 8 design.

Note the:
    - widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio
    - tiled interface idea

HP has already stated that they are throwing in support behind Windows 8 devices so it would not be a stretch to think that this is a concept device for the later half of 2012. We'll see what gets shown at CES very soon.
    regards,

Dan

------------------
    TabletPC user
    Widgets to me have been the poor-man's way of presenting multiple items to you easily (ie multitasking). webOS' strength is in true multitasking quickly and if they are giving up cards for widgets, then I would be disappointed.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Um yeah, Youtube video removed copy right infrindgement by microsoft
    That will luckily not be a webos device. Wheh. it just looks awful and completley useless. Might as well start carring a20" computer moniter
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    webOS' strength is in true multitasking quickly and if they are giving up cards for widgets, then I would be disappointed.
    Right said!

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    webOS is simply fabulous

TouchPad’s Virtual Keyboard Layouts: http://forums.webosnation.com/member...d-layouts.html
    in isagar2004’s post: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...rrow-keys.html
    Quote Originally Posted by poploser View Post
    looks way too wide to be useable. once you get past 16x9 for movies, why would you need more width? height seems more important (and yes I understand it would probably rotate)
    Yes, I also think a 16:9 display is only useful for videos -- and maybe for this widget thingy, which is NOT what I want being the new core design for webOS!

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    webOS is simply fabulous

TouchPad’s Virtual Keyboard Layouts: http://forums.webosnation.com/member...d-layouts.html
    in isagar2004’s post: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...rrow-keys.html
    Take the screen with the glass back from the new HP Spectre for the next TouchPad.

HP Envy 14 Inch Ultrabook | Scratch Resistant Glass & Thin Design

Talk about a fingerprint magnet
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Widgets to me have been the poor-man's way of presenting multiple items to you easily (ie multitasking). webOS' strength is in true multitasking quickly and if they are giving up cards for widgets, then I would be disappointed.
    Widgets are the reason why I'd never switch from Android to WebOS for a phone's OS. I can see news articles as they come in, facebook feeds updated, weather at a glance, music player options in locked up mode, and all without having to open up the app. It's so much better on a phone than the cards thing. It saves me time and it's easier. On a tablet, I don't need widgets because that's what my phone's for....information at a glance on the go.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Change the widget look to a dual row of cards and im in.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Isn't this similar to glimpse?
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Looks nice, but you need a bezel to hold it, otherwise you're going to activate GUI controls with your thumbs.

Are there any tablets without bezels today? I think not, and this is most likely the reason why.

Playbook has a relatively huge bezel, but uses it for various gestures (it's part of the touch sensitive area). Smart move on RIM's part...
    Quote Originally Posted by boucles0 View Post
    Hi,

I'm an editor at webOSfrance and just find something really interesting about a new HP touchPad Concept. See picture below

Read full article here

Click to view quoted image

several important points:
    1. First of all, Just type commands are at the core of webOS to start anything.
    2. The home screen gives way to customizable widgets using the native webOS applications like email, messaging, music, documents as well as third party applications. An application could use a "widget" mode to make it possible for the user to interact directly from the main screen.
    3. Button to display the application icons undergoes a facelift but remains in the same place, at the bottom right.
    4. Further information available at the bottom of the screen like battery power, disk space, ...
    5. There is also a native integration (bottom left) of HP Cloud Services (for what services ?)

I think these ideas are really sweet ! do you ?

Source : A New HP: So Close, Yet So Far Away - Brand New
    Yuck. I'd hate for webos to start emulating some weird windoze/android widget hybrid. A better UI would be to keep the card UI, but take advantage of the screen real estate to maybe display stacks of cards on the left when in landscape mode.
    : (){:|:&};:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12