Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hello guys and girls,

I want to by my wife a tablet. It's between a touchpad and an ipad 1, because of price. My wife has no experiance with neither OSs. The latest smartphone she had was a HTC Hero that always gave her problems. Then my daugther did what I been dying to do to it.... and that was flush it. Anyway she is back to using a Samsung Instict...

So, she know what a ipad is duh, but not a touchpad. She knows about webos but complains about learning to use my pre plus. She never gave it a chance. She likes to text more then anything but she really has no use for a tablet. She is a stay at home mom with my son on the way. But I think she could find a lot of use for a tablet. She doesnt use apps alot, even on her hero she barly used the apps. She likes to surf the web and play simple games and manage bills on lots or paper! LOTS OF NOTEBOOK PAPER, POOR TREES!

With all that said, I was thinking a touchpad like a 16G or a ipad1. I want to spend no more then 250 so the cheaper the better. Money is just really tight right now for Christmas. I love webos and the way it works i'm a little afriad of the support. Ipad, well its an ipad and i just can't afford a new ipad 2 right now.

So please any advice. Touchpad or ipad1
    Last edited by balla2g2; 01/17/2012 at 09:10 AM.
    There are android tablets out there too. If you are afraid of support, go that route. If shes big on web browsing and thats it, she has multiple browsers to chose from if she doesnt like one. I cant believe Im selling you on something other than a TouchPad, but if its for your wife and not you, and obviously shes not very tech savvy, I wouldnt get her something that doesnt have much support from its maker if something goes wrong. And I would also pick android over ipad because like you said, its cheaper.
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
  3.    #3  
    I hate my mouth for this android does seem like a good idea. The only reason I wasn't wanting to get her one of the andriods was because she like the (idea) of getting an ipad so I figure in size the touchpad (what i like) will have the same "look". I'm a die hard webos fan and I don't even have a touchpad! But it's not about me.... ugh android pfft!
    based on experience, I would give what my wife wants or knows. As much as I love the touchpad and webos, I tried giving her the veer after owning the iphone 3G. It was definitely faster than the iphone and more useable.

my wife doesn't do apps at all just facebook and some browsing. A feature phone would suffice, but in the end, she was happier with the iphone 4s. I also gave her the samsung galaxy s2 to try out for 30 days. But in her mind she was happier with the iphone.

just my 2 cents :-)
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    Quote Originally Posted by balla2g2 View Post
    I hate my mouth for this android does seem like a good idea. The only reason I wasn't wanting to get her one of the andriods was because she like the (idea) of getting an ipad so I figure in size the touchpad (what i like) will have the same "look". I'm a die hard webos fan and I don't even have a touchpad! But it's not about me.... ugh android pfft!
    On second thought, You can always get her a TouchPad and load Android on it. It will give you two operating systems for the price of one. That is, if you are comfortable enough doing it.
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    based on experience, I would give what my wife wants or knows. As much as I love the touchpad and webos, I tried giving her the veer after owning the iphone 3G. It was definitely faster than the iphone and more useable.

my wife doesn't do apps at all just facebook and some browsing. A feature phone would suffice, but in the end, she was happier with the iphone 4s. I also gave her the samsung galaxy s2 to try out for 30 days. But in her mind she was happier with the iphone.

just my 2 cents :-)

I feel you completly. My wife knows of ios but no experiance, I know i can get away with touchpad only because what it can do. And she a great woman so its the thought that counts with her. Its really more price. like if an ipad 1 cost close to a touchpad i would buy it due that, but i can't seem to find that. I'm not going to lie i'm very one sided toward the touchpad. So this make it hard to not be blind and do what is best.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    On second thought, You can always get her a TouchPad and load Android on it. It will give you two operating systems for the price of one. That is, if you are comfortable enough doing it.
    I'm very tech savvy so I can do that no problem. Thats a good idea I didn't think of that!
    i'm very tech savvy so i can do that no problem. Thats a good idea i didn't think of that!
    touchpad ftw!!!
  9.    #9  
    i seen a touchpad 16gb for 225 on ebay is that reasonable?
    i seen a touchpad 16gb for 225 on ebay is that reasonable?
    As rare as TouchPads are right now, you probably wont find very much lower. Too bad you didnt get one on sunday during the fire sale. You can try the Marketplace forum on here and see if anyone is selling it cheaper.

http://forums.webosnation.com/marketplace/
  11.    #11  
    thanks im using bill me later so my options a limited...
    Have you tried sounding her out on what SHE wants?
    bobwonderful likes this.
  13.    #13  
    I have and she basiclly would like a peice of technology to bragg about to friends and family. Her dad's wife (not mom) has an ipad so that how she know what an ipad is. But she would just like something to play with. Is what I get from her. It's the price why I shy from ipads....
    The TouchPad doesn't stand up to the iPad 2 for look, touch and feel. If your wife wants to show it off then don't get her a TouchPad. Seen side by side with an iPad 2, the TouchPad looks and feels clunky.

Having said that, I don't like the proprietary lock-in of the iPad and I wouldn't spend my money at the Apple Store.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab or even a Xoom running ICS may be an alternative. I haven't touched one though so cannot give you an assesment.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    The TouchPad doesn't stand up to the iPad 2 for look, touch and feel. If your wife wants to show it off then don't get her a TouchPad. Seen side by side with an iPad 2, the TouchPad looks and feels clunky.

Having said that, I don't like the proprietary lock-in of the iPad and I wouldn't spend my money at the Apple Store.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab or even a Xoom running ICS may be an alternative. I haven't touched one though so cannot give you an assesment.
    ipad1 not 2
    Hello guys and girls,

I want to by my wife a tablet. It's between a touchpad and an ipad 1, because of price. My wife has no experiance with neither OSs. The latest smartphone she had was a HTC Hero that always gave her problems. Then my daugther did what I been dying to do to it.... and that was flush it. Anyway she is back to using a Samsung Instict...

So, she know what a ipad is duh, but not a touchpad. She knows about webos but complains about learning to use my pre plus. She never gave it a chance. She likes to text more then anything but she really has no use for a tablet. She is a stay at home mom with my son on the way. But I think she could find a lot of use for a tablet. She doesnt use apps alot, even on her hero she barly used the apps. She likes to surf the web and play simple games and manage bills on lots or paper! LOTS OF NOTEBOOK PAPER, POOR TREES!

With all that said, I was thinking a touchpad like a 16G or a ipad1. I want to spend no more then 250 so the cheaper the better. Money is just really tight right now for Christmas. I love webos and the way it works i'm a little afriad of the support. Ipad, well its an ipad and i just can't afford a new ipad 2 right now.

So please any advice. Touchpad or ipad1
    Hello,

Yes buy the touchpad. Just help her with the patches to improve smoothness. The Touchpad covers the neccessary tasks you're wife needs a tablet for. If you can get It for less than 200 your in a good situation. My friend paid 400 for an 32GB ipad 1, 4 months ago. Biggest ripoff I had seen in a while.
  17.    #17  
    Thanks for your help folks im going with the touchpad. now to find a good deal on one on ebay....
    Thanks for your help folks im going with the touchpad. now to find a good deal on one on ebay....
    Well you have made me officially jealous of your wife as weird as that sounds. Lol

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
    iPad 1, definitely. It's the only device I'd give my parents out of ease of use and the walled garden nature of the platform. Maybe the Kindle Fire for the same reason. Depends on the person. They're the AOL of consumer devices. Set it and forget it. No need to patch the hell out of it to make them work decently.

For tinkerers and more advanced users like my brother who still wants the full media consumption ecosystem, full-on Android.

For the experimenter or web developer who has disposable income, webOS. I couldn't recommend a Touchpad to someone who doesn't know the score with webOS vs. iOS vs. Android already, because many people would immediately complain they could get popular app 'X' or 'Y' for the platform when they hear about it, and I don't want that guilt. Can't exactly brag when your device lacks almost every top-name, top-tier app out there--even Netflix, which is even on the freakin' Nintendo 3DS of all devices.
    Don't buy her a tablet now.. Wait till she begs for one. She has her phone for sexting. Give her something she'll appreciate and love you for it. Something thoughtful and from the heart. Rekindle your relationship with her. These devices do nothing for your relationship. Take my advice. You won't regret it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast