Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    so they will'port firefox to webos. Great.

alan
    I'd rather have Opera Mobile.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    I think the thread subject is slightly misplaced....
    I would like to point out prefox is a webOS app made for the original Pre.
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
    Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

dignitary likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    I would like to point out prefox is a webOS app made for the original Pre.
    So 'Prefox' is/was a Mozilla browser for the Pre?
    Does that then make it easily licenced and portable to the TouchPad by HP?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    So 'Prefox' is/was a Mozilla browser for the Pre?
    Does that then make it easily licenced and portable to the TouchPad by HP?

Firefox is an open source browser. One of the mozilla guys (when the pre first came out) made a rough port of the android firefox to the pre and dubbed it Prefox. It was in no way an "official browser" nor was it ever released by Palm (nor by HP for that matter). It lagged bad, crashed constantly and was more of a proof of concept. There was an attempt to port it to the touchpad, by a few forum members (I tried as well but ran into the same problems they did). One guy managed to fix it... Kinda but alas it didnt end well..

Info can be found here on prefox:
    PreFox | Fractal Brew

Info on HD Touchpad port:
    http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...-2-issues.html
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    Firefox is an open source browser. One of the mozilla guys (when the pre first came out) made a rough port of the android firefox to the pre and dubbed it Prefox. It was in no way an "official browser" nor was it ever released by Palm (nor by HP for that matter). It lagged bad, crashed constantly and was more of a proof of concept. There was an attempt to port it to the touchpad, by a few forum members (I tried as well but ran into the same problems they did). One guy managed to fix it... Kinda but alas it didnt end well..

Info can be found here on prefox:
    PreFox | Fractal Brew

Info on HD Touchpad port:
    http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...-2-issues.html
    Of course.. no 'licencing' required!
    Thanks for the info.. it looks like the Touchpad was officially introduced only towards the end of that Prefox HD thread...

Seems an obvious thing to do anyway..

Could be the BEST News!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 12/13/2011 at 06:55 PM.
    "PreFox" was built by some random guy who had a Pre and built Firefox to run on it. I'd doubt that HP reps had even heard of it, let alone decided to say it was a Mozilla product, and would run in Android. I mean, the HP people are sometimes misinformed, but they aren't -that dumb-.

At least, none that I've ever heard of.

So, some of us call Shenanigans.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    I think the worst news is that Chuq left HP
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    wat?
    Long Time Palm and Sprint User!

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    "PreFox" was built by some random guy who had a Pre and built Firefox to run on it. I'd doubt that HP reps had even heard of it, let alone decided to say it was a Mozilla product, and would run in Android. I mean, the HP people are sometimes misinformed, but they aren't -that dumb-.

At least, none that I've ever heard of.

So, some of us call Shenanigans.
    Good on him!

But to have to 'randomly' shift to CM7 to access 'Firefox' (Mozilla's Android/Tablet version) on the TouchPad atm. is a fact.

Be excellent if HP had already 'heard' that, via the immense amount of whinging regarding the native webOS browser that occurs here alone!

Bring it on!

Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Good on him!

But to have to 'randomly' shift to CM7 to access 'Firefox' (Mozilla's Android/Tablet version) on the TouchPad atm. is a fact.

Wrong, to have Firefox on Touchpad, you just have to open a Ubuntu Chroot card

Writing this post from it right now
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    geeksquadkid likes this.
    ^what he said

well.. That's interesting. Rolleyes a.c.'s to employees.
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

Quote Originally Posted by grasshoper View Post
    Wrong, to have Firefox on Touchpad, you just have to open a Ubuntu Chroot card

Writing this post from it right now
    Sorry.. I went the CM7 route rather than the Ubuntu route..

Point here is to ponder whether it (Firefox) be built directly *into* webOS by HP or not!

~~~
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 12/14/2011 at 07:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by zacky59 View Post
    i'm not saying it's true, i'm just saying that's what she told me.
    How so you know the rep was a "she" with a name like Godwin?
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    If a new effort was started to port Firefox to the Touchpad I would suggest to start with the new firefox for Android tablets, mentioned above.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I agree, that chat does not make any sense. One can hope that it meant that we are going to be able to start installing Android apps on the WebOS system. A complete port of Android to the TPs makes even less sense then that chat (if even real). If they were going to do that, it would eliminate the majority of the market share that WebOS has, making the OS Project a complete waste of Time and Money. My guess, doctored chat... If real, i would have to say they found a way to port Droid apps to TP, which to be honest I would consider Awesome news not Worst ever....
    the guy that said the white touchpad wasn't real was being sarcastic…
    The fact that the chat didn't make any sense, lends credibility to it being from HP, if you ask me. They haven't been making sense in many of their twists and turns with WebOS.
    All for One and One for All!
    Anytime a customer has received misinformation HP does everything in it's power to look into the issue and address it accordingly.

In regards to this issue we will escalate internally and address the issue to ensure more customers are not provided information that is not what has been given to the agents to provide to customers.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    geeksquadkid likes this.
    How did this thread get passed 5 posts ??? smh
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast