Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree13Likes
    LOL....if the Touchpad couldn't sell against the iPad, how is an open webOS tablet going to do against the "new" iPad, the Kindle Fire, the Nexus 7 AND the Microsoft Surface?

I don't think HP is looking to flush that money down the drain. Not after last quarter....

If gram is really a new company, they shouldn't be affiliated with HP in any way, especially with HP's wack hardware reputation.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    I was just thinking the same thing!
    i mean it would definitely make more sense than the webos "software only" unit making hardware. never thought that'd happen anyways, lol
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by jibboleh View Post
    LOL....if the Touchpad couldn't sell against the iPad, how is an open webOS tablet going to do against the "new" iPad, the Kindle Fire, the Nexus 7 AND the Microsoft Surface?

I don't think HP is looking to flush that money down the drain. Not after last quarter....

If gram is really a new company, they shouldn't be affiliated with HP in any way, especially with HP's wack hardware reputation.
    HP would certainly do better if they produced a product that was competitive with the current models from the other manufacturers instead of the previous year's hardware.
    Releasing something around Windows 8 time would be an interesting thought...
    Last edited by kevets; 08/15/2012 at 09:57 PM.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    HP would certainly do better if they produced a product that was competitive with the current models from the other manufacturers instead of the previous year's hardware.
    Very few people are doing particularly well in the tablet space right now, tho. Apple sells 7 out of every 10 tablets.

Of the remaining three out of ten, Samsung, Amazon, Asus and Barnes and Noble account for 2. That last 10-11 percent sliver is shared by Acer, Toshiba, Lenovo, RIM, ZTE, and 56 other manufacturers. Meanwhile, The Nexus 7 is now selling great and in less than 30 days, Apple disrupts the market AGAIN with a 7.85-inch iPad Mini.

Worst possible time to enter the tablet market with a new product.

Worst possible time to enter the tablet market with a new product.
    All true ... BUT

If you would seriously consider placing a tab on the market now it would need to be something, that really distinguishes itself from the pabulum.
    It needs to have a unique selling proposition, or at least communicate as much to the customer.

Then you might get lucky and kick Apple's shin a bit

EDIT: and yes, HP's strategy of "lumbering along with others (or even a bit behind) and selling Win8 tabs, because we don't know what the f* else we should do" is actually NOT the thing to ***** up the customers ear...
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    I don't even have the words for this, but here goes:

HP creates Mobility division to focus on consumer tablets, hires Nokia's ex-MeeGo boss Alberto Torres to run it | The Verge

So HP is back to making consumer tablets....but ONLY after jettisoning the webOS group to be focused on cloud software, user experience, and basically anything BUT consumer electronics.

How much disrespect and screwing can HP unleash on the webOS community?
    I don't even have the words for this, but here goes:

HP creates Mobility division to focus on consumer tablets, hires Nokia's ex-MeeGo boss Alberto Torres to run it | The Verge

So HP is back to making consumer tablets....but ONLY after jettisoning the webOS group to be focused on cloud software, user experience, and basically anything BUT consumer electronics.

How much disrespect and screwing can HP unleash on the webOS community?
    This is really weird, though it MIGHT offer possibilities as well! Let's see how this develops!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    This is really weird, though it MIGHT offer possibilities as well! Let's see how this develops!
    I would think the way that they did this is about as explicit an expression of NO possibility as they're going to make. The GRAM group is focused on everything BUT consumer stuff and hardware. This new division is focused solely ON consumer hardware.

There's no overlap whatsoever and no mention of webOS/GRAM in the press release. There's no clearer indication that HP has no intention of making another webOS product as far as I can see.
    I would think the way that they did this is about as explicit an expression of NO possibility as they're going to make. The GRAM group is focused on everything BUT consumer stuff and hardware. This new division is focused solely ON consumer hardware.

There's no overlap whatsoever and no mention of webOS/GRAM in the press release. There's no clearer indication that HP has no intention of making another webOS product as far as I can see.
    If they were to make hardware that was open and not locked down, and it were to be compatible with a certain open source mobile operating system... I know I'd be setting aside some money for it.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    How does releasing some hardware that might be able to run Open webOS (i.e. it's fully compliant with Linux 3.3+ kernel) help us, tho? There will be lots of ARM devices that fit that description coming up. So you can wedge open WebOS on future Android slates (probably not WinRT ones due to Microsoft-mandated locked bootloader), and it'll probably run ok.

So what? That's not making a webOS tablet. That's not contributing to our ecosystem or encouraging developers to support us. We're already a near zero mindshare OS just floating along way behind the times. That's not enough for me.
    I'm still wondering how HP is testing Open webOS when there is no hardware... I doubt everything is tested on emulator only, there must be some hardware on which they are testing...

I understand everyone who's under NDA needs to keep quiet, but inquiring minds would like to know...
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    bart1967,

Until where I know, this is a hoax from SemiAcurate in June, with "IF" too much until now...

For other side, why the HP gonna begun to pay taxes for royalties using Android, when have the own mobile SO?

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    That sounds like the author giving their opinion on what HP could do. Scrapping Win RT doesn't really surprise, since their previous ARM tablets weren't on the level Microsoft Surface is (sorry Touchpad). Would cost too much to compete there, so I could see them putting out an Intel based Windows 8 tablet that rocks. Something with next gen Atom tech could run Open webOS, I'd wager...
    http://download.intel.com/newsroom/k...essorZ2460.pdf

I think the new Lenovo Win8 tab is sporting the Z2460
    Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 - Tablets - CNET Reviews

ARM based options I can figure (from ARM - The Architecture For The Digital World
    The 3.3 Linux kernel patches and images provided on these pages are usable on ARM Development Boards with support for the following ARM processors:

ARM720T*, ARM920T*, ARM922T*, ARM926EJ-S
    ARM1136J(F)-S, ARM1176JZ(F)-S, ARM11 MPCore
    Cortex-A8, Cortex-A9, Cortex-A5, Cortex-A7, Cortex-A15

Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    That sounds like the author giving their opinion on what HP could do. Scrapping Win RT doesn't really surprise, since their previous ARM tablets weren't on the level Microsoft Surface is (sorry Touchpad). Would cost too much to compete there, so I could see them putting out an Intel based Windows 8 tablet that rocks. Something with next gen Atom tech could run Open webOS, I'd wager...
    http://download.intel.com/newsroom/k...essorZ2460.pdf

I think the new Lenovo Win8 tab is sporting the Z2460
    Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 - Tablets - CNET Reviews

ARM based options I can figure (from ARM - The Architecture For The Digital World
    if/when HP builds another $600 tablet and firesales it for $99, we may all jump in regardless of the OS. That's what HP is now famous for... execs with no idea what they are doing and firesale goods for folks like us... sweet!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123