Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    I cannot wait to get Android on this thing. I bought it for 1 reason, to do my Yahoo Fantasy Football stuff, from my couch or wherever. This thing will crash constatly on the Yahoo FF site. I've never seen anything like it it will just reload pages over and over again. The worst part is sometimes it waits till you click on something and then BAM!, crash and reload. After the crash the back option no longer works so if you were in the middle of something you have to start all over.

Some of you might think this is a petty reason, but hey we all bought these things for some reason or another! This was mine.

If anyone wants to see what I'm on about go to football.fantasysports.yahoo.com, login (you need a yahooID) and start getting angry. You could blam this on the site, it is a complicated site, but it works just fine on any Playbook or iPad i have used.

Sorry I'm venting but I'm hoping at least 1 person on here feels my pain.

Ive tried disabling the cache manually, installing Advanced Browser (Don't even get me started on that piece of crap, what a waste of $3), the Privite Broswer HD(Speedy browser that crashes faster). All of these do the same thing. I'm on version 3.0.4, I have it overclocked to 1.5ghz and insatlled every preware patch that I think woudl help.

Is thre ANYTHING else I could try? Anything at all?
    Last edited by sledge007; 12/10/2011 at 10:04 AM. Reason: language
    1) Run Linux in a card. If your site can be accessed from chromium browser or ubuntu firefox, you can do it that way. I will try and check this for you

2) Buy splashtop and access your laptop remotely from your TPad

2) Read this thread below as it points out that companies will only support certain browsers and block others to make their support teams have less work. If that is the case, then you could possibly change your browser user agent patch to report to the website that it is a different browser.
    I did this and renamed my browser to say ubuntu firefox in order to use on a site which had a lot of frames. It resolved about 80% of the issues but not 100% because of those *** frames.

I used the script in post #79 of the thread below and the installation instructions from another thread (copied below for your convenience. Good luck.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...unhappy-4.html

How to install:
    Download the attached change-user-agent_universal.zip file to your computer. This version should work for everyone on any webOS device running any recent version of webOS on any mobile network.
    Unzip the file to reveal another file called "change-user-agent" .
    Attach your webos device to your computer using the USB cable and put the webos device in USB Drive mode.
    Copy the "change-user-agent" file to your Pre using your computer's normal method. Put the file in the root of the drive while it is in USB mode and not in a subdirectory (this ends up being the /media/internal directory from the command line).
    Access a root command line on your webos device. You can do this using Palm's "novaterm" program installed as part of the developer's kit or by using an SSH client program if you have installed an SSH server on your Pre. See this site for instruction on how to access the Linux root command line on your Pre.
    From the command line run the file. Simply type:
    /media/internal/change-user-agent
    Your webos device will reboot with the patch installed.
    If you decide you would like to uninstall the patch and revert back, simply follow the above instructions and add the work "uninstall" on the command line in step #6. For example:
    /media/internal/change-user-agent uninstall
    Interesting. I actually have the opposite thought that I am done with android browser. Barring from download issues, I think the webos browser is OK though not great.

My overall experience on these cm7 versions is not that great, except that I have access to other apps. The webos card mode multitasking experience is the best so far and nowhere can be found in other OS including ios.
    Last edited by greenskinredeyez; 12/09/2011 at 08:33 AM.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greenskinredeyez View Post
    Interesting. I actually have the opposite thought that I am done with android browser. Barring from download issues, I think the webos browser is OK though not great.

My overall experience on these cm7 versions is not that great, except that I have aces to other apps. The webos card mode experience is nowhere can be found in other OS including ios.
    Use Dolphin HD and your issues with the browser will go away in CM7. Much better in terms of features and capability, and it's free, unlike paying for the browser on WebOS
    I have the same problem, but only with that one website. I've found a silly way of bypassing it. After it loads the screen the first time, wait for the little blue bar at the top to start filling indicating it is loading the screen again, and hit your "x" button in the address bar to stop it. It won't reload again after that, and you can still fully access the page. (Player notes open, change lineup, etc.)
    Buy an iPad.
    I'm very tempted to buy an iPad as this touchpad isn't all its cracked up to be.
    The website you mentioned loads OK after one reload by itself. You have to wait until all contents are loaded (which I don't like, however it's on a few websites only).

Regarding the back arrow, once you let it load fully, go to the favorite/history button, click one event back (the one before you load this page). All of you browsing tracks are back in business. So basically, use history to replace the back arrow for this site, and the back arrow will come back for good.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBellThunder View Post
    I'm very tempted to buy an iPad as this touchpad isn't all its cracked up to be.
    be specific like this poster was and you might get suggestions.
    Or just be vague and be miserable. Or poorer by a few hundred dollars.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    That's what HP thought about it too.
    jmace57 likes this.
    I am telling ya, once you get all these patches, tweaks, ubuntu, etc etc installed, iPad is no match towards touchpad! Period!

I do have iPad2 and I still come to this conclusion.

Swipe your finger into the screen from outside on the bottom to turn things into cards, slide them left and right, sling shoot them out to close. Never use the home button to close or change anything on webos. Once you're spoiled by this multitasking feature, you'll find it hard to use other os for multitasking.
    Last edited by greenskinredeyez; 12/09/2011 at 09:15 AM.
    ... if you can even multitask in the other systems.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Is there a more friendly way to do the user agent hacking? That would be a great patch to install on my Pre2 and Touchpad.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    Is there a more friendly way to do the user agent hacking? That would be a great patch to install on my Pre2 and Touchpad.
    You can access root command on your webOS device easily by installing and opening webOS quick install. If this is the first time you use this program, it will install the novacom drivers for then.
    Then go into command line on webOS quick install and type the instructions in my post above.
    ps I think it breaks the app catalog so if you want to buy apps, you will have to uninstall the user change agent patch (refer to my post above)

pps I don't recommend command line patches, only as a last resort. I, myself, if the patch is not in Preware, will stay away from installing it unless I really need it and am prepared to doctor if I type the wrong command into the command line. Just sayin...
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    be specific like this poster was and you might get suggestions.
    Or just be vague and be miserable. Or poorer by a few hundred dollars.
    My problem with the TP is that the browser can sometimes be buggy and all the apps I like to use on the iphone aren't available on the TP. Also mobile flash isn't the greatest either. I've watched the same video on Vevo on the TP then the iphone app and it was on the same WiFi connection and the iphone played much better. By the way I've installed preware with all the recommended patches and only got very slight improvement. Same wit YouTube videos, some play ok others stutter. I've decided I'm going to sell my TP and get an iPad. I just like Apple's ecosystem better, and now I'm not a ******, I just like stuff that works right with jumping through hoops. I'm not much of a techie so I would try to put android on my TP besides I'm not a fan of their OS.
    well, the good news is that HP just open sourced it.

Who's up for hacking Chrome onto WebOS?
    It is much less work to install cyanogenmod and use one of the many usable android browsers. I like Miren Browser.

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    1) Run Linux in a card. If your site can be accessed from chromium browser or ubuntu firefox, you can do it that way. I will try and check this for you

2) Buy splashtop and access your laptop remotely from your TPad

2) Read this thread below as it points out that companies will only support certain browsers and block others to make their support teams have less work. If that is the case, then you could possibly change your browser user agent patch to report to the website that it is a different browser.
    I did this and renamed my browser to say ubuntu firefox in order to use on a site which had a lot of frames. It resolved about 80% of the issues but not 100% because of those *** frames.

I used the script in post #79 of the thread below and the installation instructions from another thread (copied below for your convenience. Good luck.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...unhappy-4.html

How to install:
    Download the attached change-user-agent_universal.zip file to your computer. This version should work for everyone on any webOS device running any recent version of webOS on any mobile network.
    Unzip the file to reveal another file called "change-user-agent" .
    Attach your webos device to your computer using the USB cable and put the webos device in USB Drive mode.
    Copy the "change-user-agent" file to your Pre using your computer's normal method. Put the file in the root of the drive while it is in USB mode and not in a subdirectory (this ends up being the /media/internal directory from the command line).
    Access a root command line on your webos device. You can do this using Palm's "novaterm" program installed as part of the developer's kit or by using an SSH client program if you have installed an SSH server on your Pre. See this site for instruction on how to access the Linux root command line on your Pre.
    From the command line run the file. Simply type:
    /media/internal/change-user-agent
    Your webos device will reboot with the patch installed.
    If you decide you would like to uninstall the patch and revert back, simply follow the above instructions and add the work "uninstall" on the command line in step #6. For example:
    /media/internal/change-user-agent uninstall
    Buy an iPad.
    I have the original iPad. Its brower is just as frustrating as my Touchpad's browser.

The problem is that many sites that I frequenty use are just not designed for tablet
    browsers.

This may sound silly, but I still carry my laptop, along with my Touchpad or iPad,
    when I travel... The laptop still has many things that a tablet cannot replace.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by friedscones View Post
    I have the original iPad. Its brower is just as frustrating as my Touchpad's browser.

The problem is that many sites that I frequenty use are just not designed for tablet
    browsers.

This may sound silly, but I still carry my laptop, along with my Touchpad or iPad,
    when I travel... The laptop still has many things that a tablet cannot replace.
    In Dolphin HD, which is available for IOS and Android, you can choose the user agent so that the websites show up as the desktop version, instead of the mobile version.
    Quote Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
    In Dolphin HD, which is available for IOS and Android, you can choose the user agent so that the websites show up as the desktop version, instead of the mobile version.
    I always use Dolphin on my Samsung Galaxy SII phone(non-US, GSM version)....
    works PERFECTLY!

but for some reason, it doesn't function as well on my iPad. (on the 1% of
    websites that are stubborn )
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast