Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by friedscones View Post
    I have the original iPad. Its brower is just as frustrating as my Touchpad's browser.

The problem is that many sites that I frequenty use are just not designed for tablet
    browsers.

This may sound silly, but I still carry my laptop, along with my Touchpad or iPad,
    when I travel... The laptop still has many things that a tablet cannot replace.
    For the websites I go to the iPhone works fine most of the time. And the one that don't work there is always apps or the sites mobile site which work fine for my needs. I've had my TP for a month now, and I really wanted to like it but the end user experience for me on my iPhone is just better, and I'm sure it will be better on an iPad. I'm sorry if it seems I'm bashing the TP because I'm not. Its just doesn't meet my needs. I'm a limo driver and have about 4-5 downtime every day, and need entertainment to keep me from boredom. I've actually put the iPhone up against the TP and when it comes to streaming video the iPhone is faster and better quality. And with webos going open source I don't there will be any more good apps in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBellThunder View Post
    For the websites I go to the iPhone works fine most of the time. And the one that don't work there is always apps or the sites mobile site which work fine for my needs. I've had my TP for a month now, and I really wanted to like it but the end user experience for me on my iPhone is just better, and I'm sure it will be better on an iPad. I'm sorry if it seems I'm bashing the TP because I'm not. Its just doesn't meet my needs. I'm a limo driver and have about 4-5 downtime every day, and need entertainment to keep me from boredom. I've actually put the iPhone up against the TP and when it comes to streaming video the iPhone is faster and better quality. And with webos going open source I don't there will be any more good apps in the future.
    Wait! Your comparison is inappropriate. To have the same displaying effect, touchpad needs a better resolution file because it has a bigger screen than the iphone. Better resolution = bigger file = slower download.

You need to put ipad and touchpad up to make such a comparison.

If you use the same size file for both iphone and touchpad, of course the display on touchpad will be less clear/sharp. But wait until you make the same comparison for iphone vs ipad. You'll find ipad is as bad/good as touchpad in your test.
    Last edited by greenskinredeyez; 12/09/2011 at 05:19 PM.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greenskinredeyez View Post
    Wait! Your comparison is inappropriate. To have the same displaying effect, touchpad needs a better resolution file because it has a bigger screen than the iphone. Better resolution = bigger file = slower download.

If you use the same size file for both iphone and touchpad, of course the display on touchpad will be less clear/sharp. But wait until you make the same comparison for iphone vs ipad. You'll find ipad is as bad/good as touchpad in your test.
    I think your wrong on the slower download, because the resolution of video isn't dictated by the screen resolution. The website can't dictate that but definitely correct in if they look at an Ipad then the same issue would occur, since the LCD screen is the same one on the Ipad.
    Quote Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
    I think your wrong on the slower download, because the resolution of video isn't dictated by the screen resolution. The website can't dictate that but definitely correct in if they look at an Ipad then the same issue would occur, since the LCD screen is the same one on the Ipad.
    Youtube detects your device and determines what resolution of the file you should download.

I did a comparison on the same WiFi network of a music video on vevo. On the TP I went through the browser and on the iPad went through the vevo app, the iPad loaded the video faster and was better quality. Now you might say its because the the TP is using mobile flash and the iPad isn't but that's the point, there's an app for vevo on the iPad but not the TP. That's just one example, again I'm not here to bash the TP but it doesn't always work for my needs. I really wish it did so I wouldn't have to spend $ 500 for an iPad but sometimes its just worth spending more for something you really want.
    I did a comparison on the same WiFi network of a music video on vevo. On the TP I went through the browser and on the iPad went through the vevo app, the iPad loaded the video faster and was better quality. Now you might say its because the the TP is using mobile flash and the iPad isn't but that's the point, there's an app for vevo on the iPad but not the TP. That's just one example, again I'm not here to bash the TP but it doesn't always work for my needs. I really wish it did so I wouldn't have to spend $ 500 for an iPad but sometimes its just worth spending more for something you really want.
    Get an ipad, sell me your TP==> we're both happy
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Youtube detects your device and determines what resolution of the file you should download.
    Youtube, just like Netflix, determines the resolution based on data speeds. I can watch HQ videos on my Mytouch 4G by clicking on the HQ button.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vity Traff View Post
    Get an ipad, sell me your TP==> we're both happy
    How much can you pay for it?
    It's obviously worthless, but rid you can rid yourself of it to me for $50. No need to thank me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    It's obviously worthless, but rid you can rid yourself of it to me for $50. No need to thank me.
    People are bidding upwards of $200 for used on ebay.
    Install CyanogenMod7 Alpha 3, download Dolphin HD - best $99 you've ever spent. Honestly, you knew what you were getting into when you purchased it. CM7 is amazing and I haven't booted back into WebOS since Alpha 3. Oh, and CM9 is in the works right now which will make the Touchpad one of the first tablets to run Android 4 even before a lot of official Android tablets.

The hardware ALONE with no OS running on it is well worth $200+. When I see people complaining about this I can't help but to cringe.
    Quote Originally Posted by sikfrk View Post
    Install CyanogenMod7 Alpha 3, download Dolphin HD - best $99 you've ever spent. Honestly, you knew what you were getting into when you purchased it. CM7 is amazing and I haven't booted back into WebOS since Alpha 3. Oh, and CM9 is in the works right now which will make the Touchpad one of the first tablets to run Android 4 even before a lot of official Android tablets.

The hardware ALONE with no OS running on it is well worth $200+. When I see people complaining about this I can't help but to cringe.
    The reason I think i-devices better is simply because they just work. I've had iPhone's for over 3 years now and the only problems I've had with them are over time the battery doesn't had the same charge as when new' but that's the case with any phone. However I've had my iphone replaced twice by apple and once it was well out of the warranty. And I've had a MacBook for 2 years and never had any problems. The only reason my 2 year old windows 7 Dell pc hasn't had any serious issues is because I rarely use it. I'm not much of a techie but I just want my gadgets to work without a lot of thinkering around.
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    it isn't worthless, I just think i-devices are better for my needs. And before I would even dream of selling it for less than $200 I would just keep it as a digital picture frame.
    I'm surprised to read the message from the original poster, I've been using my TouchPad for the same yahoo fantasy football site with no issues whatsoever throughout the season. I've been managing teams through yahoo, ESPN, & myfantasyleague.com without any problems.
    How much can you pay for it?
    If no scratched, i can give you the 99$ you bought it. Deal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vity Traff View Post
    If no scratched, i can give you the 99$ you bought it. Deal?
    I actually paid $240 through Amazon, when I first bought it I thought it be ok even without the apps that the iPhone has. Unfortunately the browser is very limited for for want out of a tablet, and now tablets are all about the apps.
    I actually paid $240 through Amazon, when I first bought it I thought it be ok even without the apps that the iPhone has. Unfortunately the browser is very limited for for want out of a tablet, and now tablets are all about the apps.
    Didn't you see the news all over the place? Webos going open source? Doesn't this mean better performance in the horizon? (though to a lot of people webos browser is not as bad as what you think).

Guess you can sell your tp at cost and get back to webos in the future when ipad is loaded with webos. lol
    Didn't you see the news all over the place? Webos going open source? Doesn't this mean better performance in the horizon? (though to a lot of people webos browser is not as bad as what you think).

Guess you can sell your tp at cost and get back to webos in the future when ipad is loaded with webos. lol
    I actually think webOS is probably the best mobile OS there is but without the app support and going open source without any new hardware being made, I don't think there would many developers writing apps. I think HP's problem is they rushed the TP to the market to soon. So many competitors are trying to make an iPad killers when they need to realize it just won't happen. Apple has such a massive ecosystem that even if android grows apple will grow even bigger, and if they lower the price on the iPad or get a carrier subsidy then they could sell the iPad for maybe $300 and they would dominate the tablet market.
    I actually think webOS is probably the best mobile OS there is but without the app support and going open source without any new hardware being made, I don't think there would many developers writing apps. I think HP's problem is they rushed the TP to the market to soon. So many competitors are trying to make an iPad killers when they need to realize it just won't happen. Apple has such a massive ecosystem that even if android grows apple will grow even bigger, and if they lower the price on the iPad or get a carrier subsidy then they could sell the iPad for maybe $300 and they would dominate the tablet market.
    No, I think HP's touchpad timing was OK. This is the first generation, please don't forget. The biggest problem for HP is not the app or webos, it is the marketing folks' stupid me-too approach. Look, apple enjoyed so much fanfare and worshiping, and frankly their system (apps and hardware) are of high quality though there are problems here and there (e.g. the antenna gate). HP on the other hand was a late player and wanted to get a share of the market at the same pricing point with an unproven product. This was indeed lucrative wishful thinking. The whole world worshipped Apple. You have to come out with a better product, or cheaper price to compete! Well, HP marketing guys dropped the ball big time. If HP started with TP at 150 to 200 price point and continued the push even though it means lost of money at the beginning, I am sure HP will enjoy a much bigger user base now and devs would fight to death to get their apps into the webos market! Look at the huge huge scale of stir the tp fire sale created! You just need to create the user base, the ecosystem would then thrive!

I am wonderingnif those marketing guys are still with HP now.
    No, I think HP's touchpad timing was OK. This is the first generation, please don't forget. The biggest problem for HP is not the app or webos, it is the marketing folks' stupid me-too approach. Look, apple enjoyed so much fanfare and worshiping, and frankly their system (apps and hardware) are of high quality though there are problems here and there (e.g. the antenna gate). HP on the other hand was a late player and wanted to get a share of the market at the same pricing point with an unproven product. This was indeed lucrative wishful thinking. The whole world worshipped Apple. You have to come out with a better product, or cheaper price to compete! Well, HP marketing guys dropped the ball big time. If HP started with TP at 150 to 200 price point and continued the push even though it means lost of money at the beginning, I am sure HP will enjoy a much bigger user base now and devs would fight to death to get their apps into the webos market! Look at the huge huge scale of stir the tp fire sale created! You just need to create the user base, the ecosystem would then thrive!

I am wonderingnif those marketing guys are still with HP now.

You're absolutely right. You'll never compete with apple if you charge the same price. HP could have priced it much lower and took a short term price hit. I don't know what the folks at HP are thinking. I believe if continue down this road they'll be at of business in 5-10 years. Again I must state I'm not bashing the TP, only it's limitations. I don't think open source will save webOS. Just look at Symbian an the had 100's of millions of Nokia phones out they and where are they now. Nokia just made a deal the put windows on their smartphones.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast