Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bldegle2 View Post
    got an email today from hp, blowout sale, got the cover/stand for $20, all free shipping...methinks they are clearing all inventory...could be the the precurser to total abandonment...
    you're probably reading too much into that. If hp decides to continue with webOS, the existing 1st-gen TouchPad will still be gone. If they wanted to make a quick return to hardware the only thing they could do today is put the Go into production, and it obviously won't fit the existing TouchPad case. If they design a ~10" TouchPad 2, they certainly don't want to try to keep the exact same dimensions of the 1st TouchPad just so they can use the same case. So the current case is gone with the current TouchPad no matter what HP decides to do.
    they wrote off the current hardware already as discontinued on their financials and will pay less taxes because of it. I would not be surprised if ebay is one of the only places they could sell it and refurbished items are the only thing they could sell. They did not write off the software so they certainly could continue that end. Not sure about new hardware--perhaps it would technically have to be a new product and am not sure what that means.
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,430 Global Posts
    HP seems to be so dysfunctional it's hard to get a read on any decision - this might be part of a masterplan, part of a "we are calling it a day, clear that stuff out of here" move or it might simply be more evidence that the left hand is unaware what the right hand is doing - who can tell?

If the plan does turn out to be to start turning out consumer hardware again (unlikely I think), you would think that they would have used those touchpads to give to developers* to allow them to keep developing between now and 2.0 hardware and to keep a little bit of life in the developer community during that period. For all their faults, Microsoft seem to find any reason to give out hardware to developers - hell, a friend who is a student has told me that if he tells Microsoft he is making an app they will send him a phone to test it on and if he can get his app in the market by the end of the month, he gets to keep the phone.

* The developer relations guys at HP seem to have a rough time of it, they seem to be like mushrooms - kept in the dark and fed ****** - they seem to find out stuff on the web along with the rest of us, so they seem to be largely reactive rather than proactive.
    Last edited by CGK; 12/08/2011 at 05:48 AM.
    cobrakon likes this.
    Anonymous is behind this Just kiddin :P Ebay will get a very high load that day!!! I really wanna see how the ebay/paypal servers will react on such high demand.
    Hummm... Ms. Whitman wanna make a DDoS in his last job...

So... I can buy and send to somebody here, and this friend foward to me? Anybody interested?

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Hummm... Ms. Whitman wanna make a DDoS in his last job...

So... I can buy and send to somebody here, and this friend foward to me? Anybody interested?

Best Regards...
    I'll see what I can do, R!
    CGK,

You make good points, why turn your back on the developement community....the true developers (not the pretenders that got a TP via the developers signup lottery) that didn't get a TP are screwed, one could argue that they didn't move fast enough when the developer buy program was implemented....

There are good arguments on both sides of the coin (revive or totally dead), I prefer to be a bit pesamistic, that way disappointment is lessoned and elation heightened...

Just my take...

Laterzzzzz....
    32g and playing
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,430 Global Posts
    Well, they did close it and say "sorry all out of touchpads" and then within two weeks stick a lot more up on eBay - As I mentioned above, I don't blame the developer relations guys as they seem to kept completely in the dark - also it's not clear if people leaving the business unit are bring replaced so that will cause further problems.

Quote Originally Posted by bldegle2 View Post
    CGK,

You make good points, why turn your back on the developement community....the true developers (not the pretenders that got a TP via the developers signup lottery) that didn't get a TP are screwed, one could argue that they didn't move fast enough when the developer buy program was implemented....

There are good arguments on both sides of the coin (revive or totally dead), I prefer to be a bit pesamistic, that way disappointment is lessoned and elation heightened...

Just my take...

Laterzzzzz....

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Well, they did close it and say "sorry all out of touchpads" and then within two weeks stick a lot more up on eBay - As I mentioned above, I don't blame the developer relations guys as they seem to kept completely in the dark - also it's not clear if people leaving the business unit are bring replaced so that will cause further problems.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't read too much into that
    Its a big company and my guess is that a set number of new TouchPads were allocated to the developer community and some good faith effort was made to show they were interested in developers (although lacking in some areas as we have seen). The refurbish unit may be run from a different department (notice the pad is classified in "laptops") and it may even span across the company and set policies accordingly. In some of these companies, each dept is a fiefdom onto its own, with its own rules, power, budget....
    They are REFURBS, probably just reinjected to the pipeline from whatever department that troubleshoots/refurbs, then Doctor's them back to life.....

Since they are all refurbs, there could be a higher than normal failure rate, just speculating....I want it all to continue, the discontinued before it hit the market 7" wifi, 4g, front and rear camera (5 megapixael) yada yada, I would snap up in an instant....

Waiting like everyone else...

Peace..
    32g and playing
    hell refurbs work better most of the time, they are fixed from the ones that didnt work
    "I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    Thomas Edison
    I read on one of the blogs that this sale was reported by ABC News. It is getting a lot of attention. Depending on amount of units offered, it will draw attention and dollars away from other pads--Kindle etc.--during the busiest shopping season.
    Seems like a good deal, wish I could score another TP but I'm in the market for a hp pre 3. Now I don't see why they won't have another sale of the phone. That would be great.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,430 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I read on one of the blogs that this sale was reported by ABC News. It is getting a lot of attention. Depending on amount of units offered, it will draw attention and dollars away from other pads--Kindle etc.--during the busiest shopping season.
    Depends how many there units there are - unless it is hundreds of thousands it is not going to have much of an impact plus a lot of people will have already ordered for Christmas.

Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawmaker123 View Post
    HP is about to open up sales of refurbished touch pads via ebay. Both 16GB and 32GB. Sunday Dec. 11 6PM Central. Fire-sale prices. Also there will be an accessory bundle available. Limit 2 per ebay member. Good luck.
    ok, this whole thing is confusing. They'll start putting them on ebay at 6pm sunday for hp employees.. Then supposedly monday morning for everyone else. But how exactly will they stop anyone from buying one at 6pm. As far as I know, once they are on ebay, anyone can see the item and bid etc.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,430 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    ok, this whole thing is confusing. They'll start putting them on ebay at 6pm sunday for hp employees.. Then supposedly monday morning for everyone else. But how exactly will they stop anyone from buying one at 6pm. As far as I know, once they are on ebay, anyone can see the item and bid etc.
    They can't, the idea was that HP employees would not share the email with others...
    "hell refurbs work better most of the time"...

I have to agree, my HP laptop is a refurb, nary a problem, my desktop now spends most of its time OFF....

The only reason I said what I said is I have read there are some slight variations on internals (the battery for one) and the LCD screens I understand have at least two intinerations, add the cracked edges around speakers and headset output (mine is cracked cause I barely and accidently stepped on the edge by the headset output while chargingoff wall outlet, TP on floor, otherwise no problems), all these variances and subsequent HP handling, prolly an assembly partner, just don't make me feel warm and fuzzy all over, afterall, it is HP, and their decision making history is fabled....

Or it could be a smart decision to take advantage of the Christmas season, LOL...

Rock on TP...
    32g and playing
    When I read about this in the newspaper I thought cool, I will get the best scoop on this over at Precentral. But nobody here seems interested. What's the deal? You guys don't like "refurbs"?
    A lot of people here already have one or two touchpad ...
    So ...
    Last edited by greenskinredeyez; 12/08/2011 at 12:57 PM.
    I would say that a lot of us have TouchPads, but a lot of us are also very realistic that we don't have much of a shot at scoring one of these. I'd love to get my hands on some more, but they go on sale to employees first & Slickdeals has an ungodly number of pages on the 'news' of this already. What that means is...servers will go BOINGGGGG! Best of luck. I may try, but I'm not gushing over the news.
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678 13 ... LastLast