Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1015161718192021 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
    @ BlueBellThunder

I wanted to buy another TP because of WebOS. I personally prefer not to be tethered to iTunes & Apple but respect your view on Apple products.

As for WebOS being dead in your opinion I say that WebOS is more alive now that is open source :-)
    sent from my HP Touchpad OR AmigaOne X1000
    AmigaOS lives !
    eKeith likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by godzillinois View Post
    man I know the process was unpleasant but are people actually saying that they were too lazy to sit and wait at a computer for a half an hour or hour? I'm sure people drove and waited in line longer to buy these at the original firesale. You couldn't be bothered to sit and refresh while watching tv or something?
    Well, the shine has worn off the idea of a $99 Touchpad for me I guess. I made a little bit of an effort to grab one during the firesale, but when the time came yesterday to give it another go, even though I'd planned to grab one, it turned out that I just didn't really care. My plan was to play with it a bit and then pass it on to my elderly mother since she wouldn't expect much from a tablet in the way of apps or support, but I admit, I couldn't even be bothered to execute that plan
    Quote Originally Posted by VitaminD View Post
    Why? There's some truth in what he's saying.

While I enjoy my TP, the app and hardware support on the iPad is obviously better. The next gen iPad will likely be even better. I would hope that Apple would put stereo speakers in it. Retina screen and stereo speakers with a faster processor equals win.

In any event, getting the Touchpad in the first firesale was the buy of the decade. Zero buyers remorse. Dual boot Android and its perhaps the best tablet out there. Definitely for the money.
    Thank you. Even though I paid $240 on amazon for my touchpad I have no remorse about it. It just didn't have all the apps i use on a daily basis. I still considering keeping it , just have to see how my finances are after Christmas. I see the used market on amazon is pretty good so if I sell it I at least won't loose much money.
    must be my lucky day cause ended up getting an extra TP for the kids here just now :-) big thanks to Finally Pre for the link :-)

http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ml#post3263367
    sent from my HP Touchpad OR AmigaOne X1000
    AmigaOS lives !
    naptime likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBellThunder View Post
    If you can afford it I say just go the extra money and get an iPad. I had my TP for about a month and it really is underwhelming. I got myself an iPad last night and I absolutely love it. I just does so much more. With the TP you get what you pay for. I'm my opinion get a kindle fire if you don't want to spend $500 plus on a iPad. I truly believe in about 6 months to a year webOS will be totally dead. What use is a tablet with no updates. Also adobe is giving up on mobile flash, apple was smart not to deal with it. HTML 5 I think is the future of mobile video. It's a real shame because I think webOS is a really nice OS. But with lack or good apps it doesn't have a future. Open source doesn't mean much to developers if there no future hardware being made. That's why android will continue to be successful, theres so many hardware makers for its OS.
    Did you put Android on it? It's a different beast dual booted easily on par with the Ipad. When the Ice Cream Sandwich port arrives it will be even better.
    Aug Firesale my intro to webOS. 32Gb TP.
    I love it.
    The G/F missed Dec. ebay firesale unit, but bought one for $260 elsewhere in the market anyway!
    I enjoy the technology also.. and dual booting is allowing the TP to flex itself into a highly entertaining, fast, reliable, versatile and useful machine.

As we move from a time-era of many closed systems, including of course, our computer Operating Systems, into the Open Sourced, more co-operative and laterally governed aspects of the widening (webOS) community, I feel optimistic of its as yet only partially realised and fuller potentials!

There may be $300 worth of hardware components alone sitting in a 32Gb TouchPad.. and even at this price it still represents fair value.

Let us support with our feedback this interesting development potential and further maturation of webOS.

TP's will remain available on the matket for a while, even if not at rock-bottom prices.

Enjoy!

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    ... was walking at Best Buy (Cary - NC) looking for a laptop, a Christmas gift, and noticed a lonely Touchpad box sitting in the corner calling my name.
    The touchpad-laptop special was over, so I asked the guy if they can still bundle it with an HP laptop that I picked, the system didn't recognize the bundle so he manually adjust the price.
    Not sure, but I guess I can return the laptop if I want as the system is not aware of such a bundle.
    after a frustration evening on Ebay, was able to add another touchpad to the family.
    Go check your local BB and see if you can find one, do the same as I did.

Good Luck
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith View Post
    It's not about "wishing the process had been smoother": If you're going to offer a promotion like this, and given the lessons learnt from the past fire sale, then you know what to expect. Therefore, ensure you've got the infrastructure to pull it off smoothly. Otherwise, have a private sale to employees or premium customers...
    This is called the "slashdot" or "fark" effect. It's technically a massive DDOS, except that it's legitimate traffic. I highly doubt that there's a server setup that can handle a sudden massive influx of 10, maybe 100 times it's normal traffic, at one time. Blaming everyone involved for not having the pipes or the server capability to handle a truly bizarre case such as this, is just .. boggling. It's pretty unreasonable to expect eBay to throw down a few million dollars for hardware to handle an upcoming sale that will net them a couple hundred thousand at most.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Blaming everyone involved for not having the pipes or the server capability to handle a truly bizarre case such as this, is just .. boggling.
    Agreed. I think the issue many of us are complaining about is that our experience was the equivalent of going to the supermarket and having the clerk take the item out of our cart while we were in the middle of paying.
    Infrastructure issues aside - you can imagine how frustrating it would be to get that far in the process only to get shot down at the point of sale.
    naptime and eKeith like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by carterlite View Post
    I'm confused by all the people who are angry at Ebay, PayPal, and HP. It's not as if any of those parties wanted us to have issues with our purchase. And you can't blame HP for going through Ebay/PayPal; they are the largest and best option as far as selling an item and accepting payment. I can imagine being upset for not getting a Touchpad, but to blame Ebay, PayPal, or HP is ridiculous. I'm sure everyone, us and them, wished the process had been smoother and gone off without a single problem but it didn't happen that way. Move on and stop complaining.
    To me eBay does deserve a LOT of angst. Not because they ended up not having the bandwidth to support that much traffic all at once, but because they let people add items to their cart, proceed to checkout and then ripped the items right out of their cart and gave them to someone else.

What would you do if you went to Best Buy, saw they had Touchpads for sale, put one in your cart, and headed to checkout; but when you got to the register the cashier took it out of your cart and handed it to another customer and let them check out with it?

This happened to me THREE times yesterday on eBay.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

I also take custom kb layout requests.

eKeith likes this.
    I wish I had an extra $100 to spend when this was going on.
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
    Quote Originally Posted by JCTWeb View Post
    Agreed. I think the issue many of us are complaining about is that our experience was the equivalent of going to the supermarket and having the clerk take the item out of our cart while we were in the middle of paying.
    Infrastructure issues aside - you can imagine how frustrating it would be to get that far in the process only to get shot down at the point of sale.
    Well, certainly, there is a certain issue there with it telling you it got something, and then telling you no you didn't get it. It's more of a wording thing than it is a technical difficulty .. or an implementation error, compared to the actual design.

They are giving you the impression, that the item is reserved for you specifically at that moment, but in actuality, it isn't reserved until later in the process.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Well, certainly, there is a certain issue there with it telling you it got something, and then telling you no you didn't get it. It's more of a wording thing than it is a technical difficulty .. or an implementation error, compared to the actual design.

They are giving you the impression, that the item is reserved for you specifically at that moment, but in actuality, it isn't reserved until later in the process.
    The problem is actually two fold. First they allow multiple people to add the same item to their cart, but then they didn't even seem to handle things on a first come, first served basis. People managed to successfully check out 45 minutes AFTER I had my third item snatched away from me.

It seemed as if they tracked each single instance of the item individually but allowed 100+ people to put the same item in your cart simultaneously. Then when all 100 people got to the register whomever got the trigger pulled first won, BUT you could go back and try for a different instance of the item and share that with another 100+ people. This results in having the item yanked from your cart MULTIPLE times.

They should handle it one of two ways, first when you add the item to cart it is reserved at least for a long enough time to check out. Once all are reserved then no more are available until someone releases the item from their cart. This way if you get it in your cart you can buy it. Alternatively they could NOT track the instances separately and allow however many people to add the same item to their cart but only the first X number of people to check out would get the item. This way you still might get it ripped from your cart BUT only once and only if the entire quantity was sold out.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

I also take custom kb layout requests.

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
    As for WebOS being dead in your opinion I say that WebOS is more alive now that is open source :-)
    It's a frame of mind. Our kid's cat was always throwing up in the house, and no one would take it from us. So dumped him off down a long country road. Now I tell them kitty is "free" and probably living a better life than ever.

They're buying it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmless View Post
    It's a frame of mind. Our kid's cat was always throwing up in the house, and no one would take it from us. So dumped him off down a long country road. Now I tell them kitty is "free" and probably living a better life than ever.

They're buying it.
    That's sad man. Not a good comparison by any means.
    <off-topic posts deleted>

Please do not turn this into another webOS v iPad/Apple debate. Thank you!
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    HP TouchPad 32GB, Wi-Fi, 9.7in - Black Refurbished | eBay

Now you can buy those 32gb refurbs that were out of reach yesterday - starting from $280 and up

They're buying it.
    I so hope that that is not a true story.
    Siobhán

Palm III, Treo 600/650/680/750, Pre, Pre3, AT&T Pre3, tp 4G, tp 64GB.

I am an HP Employee. I am not associated in anyway with the development of webOS or associated devices. Opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent HP or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP or Palm.

They're buying it.
    Last edited by Quills; 12/13/2011 at 12:35 AM.
    People complain to much about stupid crap. If Amazon.com and Ebay.com couldn't handle the firesale prices, what makes you all think that you or anyone else could improve on that?

Then again, I got a firesale TP and an Ebay TP with very little effort.

Happy Holidays.