Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
Like Tree16Likes
  1.    #1  
    HOw cool is this? WebOS tablet and Pixi brought into the Stanford University MRI room and apps created for bone scanning and breathing, among other things, to help treat patients on the spot.

    Some excerpts below:

    Why webOS?

    Dr. Holbrook had many options for choosing both the hardware and software components before embarking on this project. “From a hardware and software perspective, I started with webOS devices for a few reasons. First, I perceived the TouchPad to be easily modifiable, given its mainly plastic frame, absence of glue, and non-reliance on magnets (ie for charging). Second, the webOS interface seemed the most advanced. The card browsing for example, allows for very easy and intuitive control of the various systems of an interventional procedure. Finally, developing is in JavaScript and C++. Those are languages in which I already had some experience.

    “From a developer perspective,” he continues, “[HP] webOS has been extremely helpful both officially and unofficially, from answering questions related to the SDK, questions related to the hardware, and finding other webOS contacts, like with the Preware community for solving issues, beyond those that HP could officially help with.”

    Dr. Holbrook sees continued opportunity for MRI projects in the webOS platform. For diagnostic imaging, his hope is that mobile devices like webOS phones and the TouchPad can lead to both workflow and patient management improvements. For interventional MRI, Dr. Holbrook wants to continue to develop applications that will aid in the multi-tasking common in these procedures. The webOS Enyo SDK enables developers like him to rapidly create custom and intuitive user interfaces.

    He has further plans for incorporating webOS devices into interventional procedures, and hopefully will start integrating webOS devices into Stanford Radiology clinical trials in the very near future....

    https://developer.palm.com/content/c..._touchpad.html
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    HOw cool is this? WebOS tablet and Pixi brought into the Stanford University MRI room and apps created for bone scanning and breathing, among other things, to help treat patients on the spot.

    Some excerpts below:

    Why webOS?

    Dr. Holbrook had many options for choosing both the hardware and software components before embarking on this project. “From a hardware and software perspective, I started with webOS devices for a few reasons. First, I perceived the TouchPad to be easily modifiable, given its mainly plastic frame, absence of glue, and non-reliance on magnets (ie for charging). Second, the webOS interface seemed the most advanced. The card browsing for example, allows for very easy and intuitive control of the various systems of an interventional procedure. Finally, developing is in JavaScript and C++. Those are languages in which I already had some experience.

    “From a developer perspective,” he continues, “[HP] webOS has been extremely helpful both officially and unofficially, from answering questions related to the SDK, questions related to the hardware, and finding other webOS contacts, like with the Preware community for solving issues, beyond those that HP could officially help with.”

    Dr. Holbrook sees continued opportunity for MRI projects in the webOS platform. For diagnostic imaging, his hope is that mobile devices like webOS phones and the TouchPad can lead to both workflow and patient management improvements. For interventional MRI, Dr. Holbrook wants to continue to develop applications that will aid in the multi-tasking common in these procedures. The webOS Enyo SDK enables developers like him to rapidly create custom and intuitive user interfaces.

    He has further plans for incorporating webOS devices into interventional procedures, and hopefully will start integrating webOS devices into Stanford Radiology clinical trials in the very near future....

    https://developer.palm.com/content/c..._touchpad.html
    Nice. Can we forward this to Meg? Anyone have her address? Anyone? Beuller? ;-)
  3. #3  
    I guess having a plastic tab has its perks...

    Sorry, I had to!
    slamdunksaliby likes this.
  4. #4  
    I totally hope Meg and the HP board see and hear this stuff!
  5. letijr's Avatar
    Posts
    86 Posts
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    #5  
    Nice story indeed... Wonder if they have cracks by the speakers too lol
    HP Pre 3 not capable to display names of people calling in
    Touchpad with cracked case
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I totally hope Meg and the HP board see and hear this stuff!
    Considering this was posted on the official palm site, I would imagine they know about it.

    Maybe this is part of the "innovative solutions" Meg was talking about. Finding some key partners to help fund and help with the development. Stanford could definitely help here.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

    I also take custom kb layout requests.

  7. #7  
    I'm a big fan of webOS, but isn't Dr Holbrook a bit irresponsible to put so much effort into developing a system based on discontinued hardware.
  8. #8  
    Unless he knows something that we don't..
    bluenote, sorli and xandros9 like this.
  9. #9  
    I love it and applaud Dr. Holbrook for thinking outside the box. Is he irresponsible, not sure how though I suspect he objectively looked at everything (including iPads and Android tablets) and found nothing else as simple to use and implement.

    I think it is absolutely fantastic and thanks for the reference. Sorli...
  10. #10  
    Don't get me wrong. I am rapt that he's doing it. But unless he has a room full of Touchpads and Pre3, it doesn't seem like a very good business decision.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I'm a big fan of webOS, but isn't Dr Holbrook a bit irresponsible to put so much effort into developing a system based on discontinued hardware.
    Read this quote from the last part of the article:
    He has further*plans for incorporating*webOS devices into interventional procedures, and hopefully will start integrating webOS devices into Stanford Radiology clinical trials in the very near future.
    If these are his plans, he probably already has a supply chain negotiated, which as I already mentioned, is probably a good omen for webOS.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

    I also take custom kb layout requests.

  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    Read this quote from the last part of the article:


    If these are his plans, he probably already has a supply chain negotiated, which as I already mentioned, is probably a good omen for webOS.

    Ah! An optimist, I see. I hope that you are right.
  13. #13  
    Probably a first for HP for OEM'ing their OS to another company. HP has always had decent influence in the healthcare sector, however they lost big time to Apple when the iPad came out.
    Stanford Univ probably got a really good deal.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwonderful View Post
    Probably a first for HP for OEM'ing their OS to another company. HP has always had decent influence in the healthcare sector, however they lost big time to Apple when the iPad came out.
    Stanford Univ probably got a really good deal.
    I guess that a lot of people don't even realize that HP at least at one time made MRI equipment(not sure if they still do). They still make ultrasound equipment. And apparently has also made Gas Chromatographs. I can easily see webOS being integrated with this type of equipment in a similar manner as the Dr. in this article.

    Also, Toshiba does for sure still make MRI equipment and HP has a partnership with them for some secure cloud projects. Yet another opportunity for some innovation with webOS.

    None of this necessarily means that webOS will remain for our tablets, I am just pointing out what could be some of Meg's "innovative solutions".
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

    I also take custom kb layout requests.

  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    I guess that a lot of people don't even realize that HP at least at one time made MRI equipment(not sure if they still do). They still make ultrasound equipment. And apparently has also made Gas Chromatographs. I can easily see webOS being integrated with this type of equipment in a similar manner as the Dr. in this article.

    Also, Toshiba does for sure still make MRI equipment and HP has a partnership with them for some secure cloud projects. Yet another opportunity for some innovation with webOS.

    None of this necessarily means that webOS will remain for our tablets, I am just pointing out what could be some of Meg's "innovative solutions".
    Almost all that sort of stuff that HP used to do, was spun off into Agilent years ago, ie the scientific instruments.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by guinny1759 View Post
    Almost all that sort of stuff that HP used to do, was spun off into Agilent years ago, ie the scientific instruments.
    That doesn't mean HP will not partner with Agilent or even Toshiba, GE and others to advance medical equipment.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

    I also take custom kb layout requests.

  17. #17  
    We can probably assume that they aren't waiting for another firesale to get a couple of more touchpads. They're probably not scrounging craigslist and ebay for touchpads either. It's Stanford. They could easily contact HP and get a decent shipment from them. Shouldn't be hard for them to get repairs either. It's a moot point to wonder how they'll get these fixed if something happens with the pads.

    I agree that it's one of the more intuitive mobile operating systems so I can see how it's a great choice. I was a huge Android fan until I used webos.
    bluenote likes this.
  18. #18  
    This doesn't mean much; it's cool, but that's it. As for supplies, they may have given him half a dozen 'Pads to work with. We already knew that webOS has the best interface on the market and multitasks perfectly; we just need a few Precentral Android Crusaders to tell the good Doctor that he is dumb because nobody cares for interface OR multitasking. We already knew that webOS is easy to code for, too.

    And still: webOS being used for some professional purpose somewhere doesn't help us consumer users, and doesn't vitalize an ecosystem. Do you know how many thousands of places are still using PalmOS devices in some way? Windows CE?

    If only Whitman said something. But at this point, even I am expecting that the announcement they announced will essentially tell us that HP will continue to build on "webOS' critical success" in some absolutely unspecified ways.
  19. #19  
    Well hopefully we will know more by Monday. Meg said on Dec 1st that she should be able to make an announcement in 7-10 days.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

    I also take custom kb layout requests.

  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I'm a big fan of webOS, but isn't Dr Holbrook a bit irresponsible to put so much effort into developing a system based on discontinued hardware.
    sometimes people use just what they know best.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions