webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Help, my hp touchpad brick when i upgrade webos to 3.0.4
Help, my hp touchpad brick when i upgrade webos to 3.0.4
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By greenskinredeyez
  • 1 Post By greenskinredeyez
  • 2 Post By greenskinredeyez

Old 12/06/2011, 03:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hi guys.
Just bought my touchpad today and sadly enough, it bricks now. All i was doing was checking for update, then the system told me to upgrade to webos 3.0.4. After a while, there's a "www.palm.com/ROM" error appeared on my screen and i coudn't use my touchpad anymore. I tried to turn it off using combinations of buttons (Power + 10 times Home, Power + Home hold for 10 secs, Power + Home + Volume Up hold for 10 secs) still didn't work.
I looked up and was told that i could use webos doctor to reset my device, but here's another problem. I hadn't connected my touchpad to my pc before it bricked yet, and now when i turn on usb mode and connect it to my pc (by holding volume up, then plug the cable in), it fails to install palm driver so i can't use webos doctor either. I tried to look up a way to install palm manually but no luck so far (found some palm driver named AceecaUSB something but windows didn't recognize it too, must be wrong one)
My pc is using Windows 7 64 bit, I've tried to connect the touchpad to another laptop with windows 7 32 bit on it but no luck.
Please help, it's really hard to send it back to hp from where i live
All helps are appreciated.
coldark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2011, 03:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

What about following the onscreen instructions?

Point your browser to www.palm.com/rom and follow the instructions

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 12/06/2011, 04:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

'Coldark'.. did you buy it new, or 2nd hand/used?
I only ask because if it is not new, it may have had other software already loaded?
Mutoidi is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: coldark
Old 12/06/2011, 06:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldark View Post
Hi guys.
Just bought my touchpad today and sadly enough, it bricks now. All i was doing was checking for update, then the system told me to upgrade to webos 3.0.4. After a while, there's a "www.palm.com/ROM" error appeared on my screen and i coudn't use my touchpad anymore. I tried to turn it off using combinations of buttons (Power + 10 times Home, Power + Home hold for 10 secs, Power + Home + Volume Up hold for 10 secs) still didn't work.
I looked up and was told that i could use webos doctor to reset my device, but here's another problem. I hadn't connected my touchpad to my pc before it bricked yet, and now when i turn on usb mode and connect it to my pc (by holding volume up, then plug the cable in), it fails to install palm driver so i can't use webos doctor either. I tried to look up a way to install palm manually but no luck so far (found some palm driver named AceecaUSB something but windows didn't recognize it too, must be wrong one)
My pc is using Windows 7 64 bit, I've tried to connect the touchpad to another laptop with windows 7 32 bit on it but no luck.
Please help, it's really hard to send it back to hp from where i live
All helps are appreciated.
10 secs is NOT enough!

Do this now:

1. Plug the charger in and connect it to your touchpad.
2. Press and hold home+power together for 1 minute. If no response, release, then hold both for 1 minute again.
3. If 2 does not work, keep the charger connected, release the buttons (2) then press and hold home+power+volume up together for 1 minute. Release, then press and hold home+power for 1 minute.

It should come back now. Let the charger remain connected to charge your touchpad until at least 50% charged.

5. Now download webos doctor from palm:
http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/touch...4hstnhwifi.jar

6. After you're done downloading, go to the place where you saved the jar file, rename the file to zip file. Now double click the newly named zip file, find the file called novacomInstaller_x64.msi (for windows 7, if you use xp, find the x32 one). Extract this msi file out. Then double click the msi file. It should install novacom on your computer.

7. Change the name back to jar file (you changed it to zip file in 6).

8. If you don't have java installed on your pc, install it now. Otherwise go to 9.

9. Double click the jar file, select country and language then ok until the next button is grayed.

10. Assuming your touchpad is charged to at least 50% now, set it to usb recovery mode (press home+power, as soon as it turns off, press power+volume up until you see the usb logo).

11. Connect touchpad to pc now (with jar file running). Click next on the doctor (jar file) screen. Let it go through.
greenskinredeyez is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by coldark likes this.
Thanked by coldark, Mutoidi
Old 12/06/2011, 07:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post

Point your browser to www.palm.com/rom and follow the instructions

I can't tab on my screen anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
'Coldark'.. did you buy it new, or 2nd hand/used?
I only ask because if it is not new, it may have had other software already loaded?
I bought it brand new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenskinredeyez View Post
10 secs is NOT enough!

Do this now:

2. Press and hold home+power together for 1 minute. If no response, release, then hold both for 1 minute again.
3. If 2 does not work, keep the charger connected, release the buttons (2) then press and hold home+power+volume up together for 1 minute. Release, then press and hold home+power for 1 minute.

It should come back now. Let the charger remain connected to charge your touchpad until at least 50% charged.

6. After you're done downloading, go to the place where you saved the jar file, rename the file to zip file. Now double click the newly named zip file, find the file called novacomInstaller_x64.msi (for windows 7, if you use xp, find the x32 one). Extract this msi file out. Then double click the msi file. It should install novacom on your computer.

8. If you don't have java installed on your pc, install it now. Otherwise go to 9.

9. Double click the jar file, select country and language then ok until the next button is grayed.

10. Assuming your touchpad is charged to at least 50% now, set it to usb recovery mode (press home+power, as soon as it turns off, press power+volume up until you see the usb logo).

11. Connect touchpad to pc now (with jar file running). Click next on the doctor (jar file) screen. Let it go through.
I tried all your combinations before. The device turned off, but after it starts up again, the "www.palm.com/ROM" error screen is still there. The thing about webos doctor is that i can't get my pc to install the driver needed to realize my device as a usb, so i can't use it yet. Is there anyway to manually install this palm driver? I connected my device to my computer, after a searching for driver for a while, it came back with a failure notification. I tried uninstall and reinstall many times and still not work.

Besides, i ran update when the device was fully charged, so it's pretty much not the case here , and when the update ran, i was doing other things so i dunno if it completed or stopped at the middle at all. When i looked back, that dreadful "www.palm.com/ROM" error screen was already there.

So basically, my device now only shows "www.palm.com/ROM" error screen. I can turn its usb mode on by pressing volume up and plugging the cable in my pc (yes, just volume up is enough), a usb symbol appear on the device's screen, but my pc (and 2 others) don't recognize it as a usb.
Any suggestion guys?

Last edited by coldark; 12/06/2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12/06/2011, 07:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Step 5 and 6 are exactly the manual installation of the drivers. Read carefully.

Quote:
I can't tab on my screen anymore.

I bought it brand new.

I tried all your combinations before. The device turned off, but after it starts up again, the "www.palm.com/ROM" error screen is still there. The thing about webos doctor is that i can't get my pc to install the driver needed to realize my device as a usb, so i can't use it yet. Is there anyway to manually install this palm driver? I connected my device to my computer, after a searching for driver for a while, it came back with a failure notification. I tried uninstall and reinstall many times and still not work.

Besides, i ran update when the device was fully charged, so it's pretty much not the case here , and when the update ran, i was doing other things so i dunno if it completed or stopped at the middle at all. When i looked back, that dreadful "www.palm.com/ROM" error screen was already there.

So basically, my device now only shows "www.palm.com/ROM" error screen. I can turn its usb mode on by pressing volume up and plugging the cable in my pc (yes, just volume up is enough), a usb symbol appear on the device's screen, but my pc (and 2 others) don't recognize it as a usb.
Any suggestion guys?
Liked by coldark likes this.
Old 12/06/2011, 08:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Step 5 and 6 are exactly the manual installation of the drivers. Read carefully.
Yeah you're a genius xD. I did those steps last night but i must have installed the x86 instead (was exhausted xD). After uninstall and reinstall the correct version, now my doctor is running (didn't run on first try, but now is working fine).

It's at 62% so far. I've read somewhere that if it stopped at 12%, u have to do some more steps, but this is alright right? I'll reply back when it finished, thanks a ton mate
Old 12/06/2011, 08:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

It worked!!!! Now my touchpad is back, thanks a lot greenskinredeyez. Now i wonder if i might try to upgrade to 3.0.4 again tho... Is there any safer way to upgrade?
Old 12/06/2011, 08:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Oh silly me, i forgot the doctor auto updated my os to 3.0.4 already. So i'm good now. Thanks for all the help guys, especially you greenskinredeyez
Old 12/06/2011, 08:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Oh silly me, i forgot the doctor auto updated my os to 3.0.4 already. So i'm good now. Thanks for all the help guys, especially you greenskinredeyez
Glad that it works out ok for you. Now you can install ubuntu as an image file (ubuntu.img) and populate it with LibreOffice. Then show it off (word editing, excel file editing, power point ppt editing, math editing, pdf editing) in a card mode, especially in front of iPad users!

Cheers!
Liked by Mutoidi and coldark like this.
Old 12/06/2011, 08:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Glad that it works out ok for you. Now you can install ubuntu as an image file (ubuntu.img) and populate it with LibreOffice. Then show it off (word editing, excel file editing, power point ppt editing, math editing, pdf editing) in a card mode, especially in front of iPad users!

Cheers!
Great . I'm also planning on rooting it and run android too
Old 12/18/2011, 11:30 AM   #12 (permalink)

Followed the instructions and still would not boot.

More discussion on this post. Please help. How can I boot back up recovery as I think mine has been thrashed.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/hp-...ml#post1490243

10 secs is NOT enough!

Do this now:

UWPVIOLATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2011, 11:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thank you...whewww...that was close.

Quote:
10 secs is NOT enough!

Do this now:

tacticaltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2012, 11:54 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
10 secs is NOT enough!

Do this now:

OMG... Thank you. This works for me I just use the latest Doctor 3.0.5 and follow the exact step above and it works.

I use Doctor 3.0.0 the first time and stop at 8% flash. Use the latest 3.0.5. and it re-flash to 100%!

Thank You so much!
Fishing2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2012, 08:44 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post

Point your browser to WebOS Doctor and follow the instructions

That's not much help though when Windoze can't find a driver for the Palm device... and refuses to acknowledge it's existence
wunnell is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0