Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BillyJoeJimBob
  1.    #1  
    As happy owner of three TouchPads (I will be 'losing' one as an upcoming birthday gift soon), about the only thing I've found annoying so far with the TouchPad is that MP3 playback on the device isn't gapless. MP3s have been around for *years*, why do so many manufacturers/software have such an issue with such a (seemingly) simple concept?

I've tried the default player, Music Player Remix, Audiophile, and none of them do the job (unless I'm missing a setting somewhere in one of the menus). Is there a webOS player out there that does proper gapless MP3 playback?

BJJB
    Try the fade switch in Audiophile. (SW corner of the record player). Not completely gapless, but it may help out a bit.
  3.    #3  
    I tried that already sledge007. While it's a bit of an improvement, it's still not good enough. I really can't understand why gapless seems to be so difficult to put into a music app or hardware player (other than the iPod).

BJJB
    A lot of songs have a second or two of silence at the end of them, so unless you edit those couple of seconds out, I can't see how you would be able to have gapless playback. The only albums that I can think of that are designed to have gapless playback, that I can think of, fall in the electronic category.....maybe some Pink Floyd as well. No help with PF, but a lot of electronic cd's have a continuous flow mix that you can play for that effect.

I suppose if this has been an ongoing problem for years, with various devices/manufacturers, then maybe it's just not that simple of a fix?
    There's plenty of options out there that support gapless playback, including most modern music players. Here's an article that really talks about the facts surrounding the issue, and a sample list of players and devices that support it: Gapless playback - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I suppose if this has been an ongoing problem for years, with various devices/manufacturers, then maybe it's just not that simple of a fix?
    Apple, for years, has had no problems dealing with it, both in their software and their hardware. WinAMP, JetAudio, and a number of other apps for the PC have had no problems with it.

I accept that probably a large number of albums have songs with a 2 second gap between them, although that probably has more to do with the standard for Track-At-Once CDs than anything else. Live CDs generally do not have a pause between tracks, and there are live albums being released all the time. You mentioned Pink Floyd; I happen to love Pink Floyd. And gaps or long pauses at the end of songs, or music that runs together messes with the listening experience. For some people it's probably not an issue, for a lot of people it is. Especially when any technical issues that *might* have existed have obviously been solved by other people/companies long ago. HP is more than smart enough to know how to fix this bug, it just should never have been an issue in the first place is my point.

BJJB
    dignitary likes this.
    One problem is most the players use HTML5 audio, which there is a lag time between loading and playing. And enyo doesn't seem to like playing multiple sounds. Also, enyo has a hard time playing sounds on top of each other with the html5 audio.
    So hopefully this is a webOS issue that can be smoothed out with updates.
    My Apps:
    Apps By Chris
    Slideshow Presentation HD - A hugely customizable Touchpad Audio/Picture Slideshow Creator
    Two Outta Three! - A coin flip game
    Chore Tracker Pro - A chore organizing app
    Peek-A-Dash - A tumblr dashboard client that runs in a multitasking system popup

Donate link to support my work
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyJoeJimBob View Post
    As happy owner of three TouchPads (I will be 'losing' one as an upcoming birthday gift soon), about the only thing I've found annoying so far with the TouchPad is that MP3 playback on the device isn't gapless. MP3s have been around for *years*, why do so many manufacturers/software have such an issue with such a (seemingly) simple concept?

I've tried the default player, Music Player Remix, Audiophile, and none of them do the job (unless I'm missing a setting somewhere in one of the menus). Is there a webOS player out there that does proper gapless MP3 playback?

BJJB
    Does anyone do gapless other than apple? You must be a deadhead/phishhead. we're generally the only ones who care about gapless. but i agree i would definintely appreciate it.
    Apple does their own work around to get gapless with MP3. Itunes scans and adds gapless data to the Id tags.

They also have a non destructive volume leveller. Which is great until you listen to a gapless live show !

The general public doesn't care about gapless, and, it's not a simple fix. That's why nobody bothers. Apple doesn't even tout it ?

I think some players do Windows Media gapless ? I'm done chasing codecs. I'm getting used to the gaps.
    Last edited by Grumpystilskin; 12/06/2011 at 08:51 PM.
    If you read the attached links, it is more common than you think. I was surprised. Now, WebOS' sound architecture kind of sucks, so I can see it being pretty troublesome.
    I know gapless is available for Android as multiple music apps can do it. The Zune had it but WP7 seems to be missing it.

Back in the day, I got my Rio Karma over an iPod because it had gapless (and higher quality DACs) when the iPod hadn't implemented it yet.

I have some music that, while multi-tracked on my CD, is meant to be played continuously.
    I meant to add, that it's inappropriate to call what Apple did a workaround. The header was changed to add to exact length to make gapless playback possible. It was a design solution that has also been incorporated into other players via the headers.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyJoeJimBob View Post
    Apple, for years, has had no problems dealing with it, both in their software and their hardware. WinAMP, JetAudio, and a number of other apps for the PC have had no problems with it.
    The funny thing is that Apple was sorely late to the party. It took their 5th generation iPod to finally get gapless playback and it was created specifically to play music. As a former Rio Karma owner, it was something we used to mock the iCultists about. Personally, I don't listen to music on my TouchPad, but have you tried the RockBox port to see if it works on the TouchPad?

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...box-webos.html
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    It is fun to mock the iCultists, isn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by thricetwice View Post
    One problem is most the players use HTML5 audio, which there is a lag time between loading and playing. And enyo doesn't seem to like playing multiple sounds. Also, enyo has a hard time playing sounds on top of each other with the html5 audio.
    So hopefully this is a webOS issue that can be smoothed out with updates.
    Maybe there's a way to start the second song on a different pulse sink? Then you can play two sources at once and let pulse do the mixing? Then just flip/flop the pulse sinks? It must be possible, since things like car navigation speak while fading the music if you are playing something, and then fade the music back up when it's done speaking.
    : (){:|:&};: