Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    The touchpad was accidentally left on overnight (on Android), and ran out of power. First I put it on the Touchstone, where it came up with the charging loop (video at bottom)(If you cant see the video, the loop is battery with lightning bolt and red line at bottom, followed by what looks like a European plug, then the screen goes black, then it repeats the loop). Then I changed the part that plugs into the wall, which didn't help. Then I unscrewed and rescrewed it, and it made the clicking sound. Then I put it on the official HP USB to the official HP two piece charging unit, and it came up with the same loop. After leaving it overnight, it was still like that, so I tried to plug it into the PC. I left it plugged in for a few hours to trickle charge it, but the PC couldn't detect it, presumably because it was dead and transmitting nothing back to the PC, so that meant that the PC didn't trickle charger. I then put it back on the USB(mains) charger, and it is still coming up with the charging loop.

    At all points of my process I have held the power and centre button down for 20 seconds.

    This is intended for 2 purposes:
    1. To draw attention to this issue so that people don't do it
    2. To hopefully get a solution from someone.

    Thank you in advance!

    Youtube link :
  2. #2  
    So, it's kinda 'jammed' without fuel on 'Android Boot' which in turn is now not recognising that it needs charging?

    I know Android had some 'battery' glitches.. supposedly rectified in A3.

    Power, Home AND Vol Up buttons?

    Thanks for the heads up too!

  3.    #3  
    It is stuck at the loop before it gets to moboot, and the symbols are HP/Palm WebOS ones, I think the only significance of Android is that it lets the battery get to absolute zero, where as WebOS shuts down with a bit left.

    Doesn't that key combination wipe ALL data from your device (Not suggesting that you were trying to trick me, that's what I read somewhere)
  4. #4  
    OK.. I am just wondering 'which' OS will now not allow it to at least charge!

    Of course I'm not trying to trick you into losing all your data!

    The Three Button method may get the machine back into a sub (USB) mode, where it at least knows that it has to charge a flat battery first! The Batt & Plug symbols you are seeing may not be 'webOS' talking.. but instead CM7 A3?

  5.    #5  
    OK I tried the 3 button method, which made the screen go blank for a while. Then I pressed the centre and power buttons, at which time it started the loop again.

    I think the problem might lie in the fact that the battery has no charge at all in it, so it can't get any more into it.
  6.    #6  
    I just found this on wikipedia, which is under the disadvantages of Lithium ion polymer batteries, which the touchpad uses

    Lithium polymer batteries cannot be deep discharged. Once they are deep-discharged, they can be damaged and cannot be charged to their normal capacity. Even while discharging, care has to be taken to discharge the pack evenly.
  7. #7  
    Battery certainly sounds totally 'flat'.. but it shouldn't (very hopefully) be 'killed' simply by one total discharge!
    My understanding is that Li-ion batts. have no 'memory-effect' to speak of and also rate their usable life on the total number of full charge/discharge cycles.
    Thus:
    1 x 100% discharge-->charge = 1 cycle.
    2 x 50% discharges-->charges = 1 cycle.
    4 x 25% discharges-->charges = 1 cycle.
    Etc.
    It is probably better to try to keep within a 30-40% discharge.. yes.

    So, you feel that CM7 has now allowed a total discharge (when really it should not have)?
    And that as a result, also now there is not enough juice to even allow the machine to register to itself that it has no power? Hmm.. 'Catch 22'.

    Do the Android Forums have any mention of this occuring?
    That's before lifting the hood, removing the battery and charging it externally, enough to then refit and 'break the loop'?

    Last edited by Mutoidi; 12/04/2011 at 05:23 PM.
  8. #8  
    it happened to my tp once. What you can do is to set it to usb recovery mode by holding power and vol up keys, then let it charge in this mode. The usb logo will dim later. Once it gets enough charge, you can set it back to normal.

    You also want to check your usb cable and charger to make sure they are working (plug it to a phone or something).
    Last edited by greenskinredeyez; 12/04/2011 at 08:45 PM.
  9. #9  
    Ugh same story as the OP. Also running CM7 alpha 3 and accidentally left my battery die. Now it's stuck on the red charging screen and nothing has changed. I'm just going to let it charge for a night and see if it helps
  10. #10  
    Actually, after being plugged in for what was like.. 2 hours without anything happening, it just booted itself up randomly. Sweet!
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Battery certainly sounds totally 'flat'.. but it shouldn't (very hopefully) be 'killed' simply by one total discharge!
    My understanding is that Li-ion batts. have no 'memory-effect' to speak of and also rate their usable life on the total number of full charge/discharge cycles.
    The memory effect doesn't come into play here. What happened here is probably permanent damage to the battery due to the deep discharge which is why it isn't taking a new charge.

    Li-ion batteries shouldn't be discharged past something like 3.1V. Any lower than that will probably cause irreversible damage. On the chargers I used to work on, if the circuitry found a battery below 3.1V, it would try hitting the battery with a high current charge for limited amount of time. The battery would then be allowed to relax for a few minutes and the voltage checked again. If it the voltage was above 3.1V, the battery was considered recovered and we went back to a normal constant current charge. If it was below, we'd try the high current pulse again. I forgot how many times we did this. Sounds like the Touchpad does something similar.
    somline likes this.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenskinredeyez View Post
    it happened to my tp once. What you can do is to set it to usb recovery mode by holding power and vol up keys, then let it charge in this mode. The usb logo will dim later. Once it gets enough charge, you can set it back to normal.

    You also want to check your usb cable and charger to make sure they are working (plug it to a phone or something).
    Yes.. because that will go in below the level at which CM7 is holding the charge off.

    'kwarner' #11.

    The standard HP wall-charger seems to pack a fair punch amperage wise, so is perhaps designed to deliver suitably high current to 'recover' deeply discharged Li-ions?

  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Yes.. because that will go in below the level at which CM7 is holding the charge off.
    so when does CM7 shutdown the TP? Do you have a source about your stmt?
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    so when does CM7 shutdown the TP? Do you have a source about your stmt?
    Only this forum.. SOMEwhere is the indication that once the power/volume up button trick has presented you with the 'USB' symbol you are accessing the OS substrata, thus 'under-riding' it!

    Perhaps I should represent the stmt as a qustn: 'Yes.. because that will go in below the level at which CM7 is holding the charge off?

    Do you have an Ans for the Qstn? Maybe CM7 will.. soon!

  15. #15  
    I thought about making a thread about this because it has happened to me twice. Both were different circumstances and both seemed to be issues other users have had. And both were with different touchpads. In the end, the tablets ended up working fine and interestingly, both times it happened early in their use and hasn't happened since.
  16. #16  
    good for you.
    Last edited by greenskinredeyez; 12/05/2011 at 06:16 AM.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by marquezr22 View Post
    I thought about making a thread about this because it has happened to me twice. Both were different circumstances and both seemed to be issues other users have had. And both were with different touchpads. In the end, the tablets ended up working fine and interestingly, both times it happened early in their use and hasn't happened since.
    So did you also have 'Android' installed on those TouchPads?
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    So did you also have 'Android' installed on those TouchPads?
    No. No CM7 on either when this happened. 1 was with a fresh system.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by marquezr22 View Post
    I thought about making a thread about this because it has happened to me twice. Both were different circumstances and both seemed to be issues other users have had. And both were with different touchpads. In the end, the tablets ended up working fine and interestingly, both times it happened early in their use and hasn't happened since.
    When you say "happened to me twice" do you mean your TP drained so much that it shutsdown and after that you got the boot loop? Or the battery was not at 0% but you got the boot loop?
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by marquezr22 View Post
    No. No CM7 on either when this happened. 1 was with a fresh system.
    OK.. that's interesting.. it was starting to look like we could 'blame' CM7!

    So perhaps when the Li-ions drop below a certain voltage, either they do refuse to take a charge.. OR the OS (either webOS or 'Android') is failing to recognise/prioritise that they are totally flat from boot, even when plugged into the charger?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions