Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #21  
    Thanks for the tips guys,
    the volume up and power button didn't work, the loop stayed the same. I have now used power vol up and center to turn screen off, and hopefully put it to sleep, where it can charge.

I think the problem might be similar to the problem experienced by car batteries when they run flat
    Quote Originally Posted by HPtouchpad19 View Post
    Thanks for the tips guys,
    the volume up and power button didn't work, the loop stayed the same. I have now used power vol up and center to turn screen off, and hopefully put it to sleep, where it can charge.

I think the problem might be similar to the problem experienced by car batteries when they run flat
    No worries.. hope that combo does the job in the end!

(An old mechanic once said to me: "Charging a car (lead-acid) battery is like pickling an onion.. to do it properly, it's gotta sit there 'trickling' until the innermost layers are truly pickled!")

3.    #23  
    I have tried that fore a few hours (started before I posted), and just tried powering it on using center and power, but it just re-entered the charging loop
    I have tried that fore a few hours (started before I posted), and just tried powering it on using center and power, but it just re-entered the charging loop
    Hhmmph.. well unless someone comes up with a more direct solution, I would be tempted to now think about first removing the battery and then reinstalling it, before then trying, if that fails, to find a way to re-charge it outside the TouchPad altogether?

Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    When you say "happened to me twice" do you mean your TP drained so much that it shutsdown and after that you got the boot loop? Or the battery was not at 0% but you got the boot loop?
    Again, both were different circumstances. In 1, the TP was more than at half charge. In the other case, the battery drained.

If you're at the boot loop and you get the charge icon with the red light on it you're probably in the clear. With my touchpad that was drained, the TP had very little battery. What I mean is that the battery was at 5%, give or take a couple of % points.

If you get the charge icon saying that you're not using the right charger, leave it on that icon and let the battery either run out, or until the TP turns off. My feeling was that if I let the battery drain enough, that the TP would use power from the outlet only. I don't have an explanation as to why the TP would think the charger was the wrong one when booting with low battery, but it doesn't matter enough for me to think about it. I left the TP on that wrong charger screen for some time. I don't know how long. When I went back to look at the TP was off, I plugged in the charger, and it booted right up. I set up my account, and then I let it charge fully.

With my first TP, I got it about a week after the fire sale. CM7 for TP didn't exist at that point. I was using it. I set it down. Then it wouldn't turn on at all when I picked it up about an hour later. The home button would flash a few times but that's it. I let it sit for a coupe of hours. Because I'm stubborn, I tried turning it on again and there it went.

In both cases, I let the TP sit idle with the charger unplugged.

I had a Samsung phone that would behave oddly when I let the battery die. It reminded me a lot of the charger issue with the TP. So I figured the TP would go through the same thing and eventually boot right up, and it did. I have guesses as to what happened but I don't know exactly and it doesn't matter enough. Let the TP's sit a couple of hours and don't mess with it, then turn them back on by plugging in the charger and not by pressing the power button.

Seems like the devices try to boot off battery power alone and then the charger. But if the battery has juice but not enough, it has enough juice to initiate booting up but not enough to finish it. If the battery I'd drained enough, seems to go to the charger alone.
  6.    #26  
    I've now decided to let it sit overnight, and not touch it (might leave it longer), then plug it in, and hope that clears any remaining battery.
    I hope it works out for you. I don't know if I'm brave enough to replicate the issue with mine but if it's a no-go on your end, post back and I'll see what I can do.

I also did the power, home, volume up, reset on both and that's no good also so I know it's frustrating.
    I've now decided to let it sit overnight, and not touch it (might leave it longer), then plug it in, and hope that clears any remaining battery.
    Yes.. good luck.. I really hope it springs back to life for you..
    Look 4ward to hearing!

Quote Originally Posted by marquezr22 View Post
    Again, both were different circumstances. In 1, the TP was more than at half charge. In the other case, the battery drained.
    Thanks, that was what I've hoped. So it seems not related to a completely drained battery.
    I'm sure Android is taking care of a low battery as well. Thanks.
  10.    #30  
    Hi guys,
    After 5 days of that loop, and trying different things to no avail I put it on the touchstone (2 days ago). Regularly (every 10 hours or so) the screen would go blank and the solution was to turn the touchstone off at the wall for 15 or so seconds, then turn it back on. This morning I came down and the screen was blank, so I did this process again. This time the battery with the red line came up, and stayed up, and 15 minutes later it had booted up. Hope this helps some of you.
    Glad it worked out for you. It's like dealing with a person that throws a fit. You let them have their time alone and they get back to normal as if nothing happened. It hasn't happened to me since. Maybe it'll be the same for you.
    Hi guys,
    After 5 days of that loop, and trying different things to no avail I put it on the touchstone (2 days ago). Regularly (every 10 hours or so) the screen would go blank and the solution was to turn the touchstone off at the wall for 15 or so seconds, then turn it back on. This morning I came down and the screen was blank, so I did this process again. This time the battery with the red line came up, and stayed up, and 15 minutes later it had booted up. Hope this helps some of you.
    Hooray!!

So a VERY slow charge from the Touchstone must have seeped through to the battery in the end?

Let us know if it appears to have 'damaged' the Li-ions, or whether it reverts to normal charge/discharge capacities please!

Really glad for you!

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Im having kinda like same problem...

My wife was using the touchpad last night, she's using it while it was plugged to an extension cord. she noticed that the battery % is dropping even though the icon of the battery shows that it is "charging"... down to 10% we decided not tp use it and let charge for few hours. check it very early morning and its down to 2%. later it died while still plugged on the wall. i tried booting it up and it will show the big battery icon charging then shut off again.

NOW i cant boot it up!... i dont have charging dock to let it seat there for whole night.

We were having a problem with the charging before all this happen... seems like the micro usb on our TP is not connecting to the micro usb cable properly.

I want to buy that HP dock... do you guys think this will help me on my problem?!

thanks!
    What was the previous problem? Intermittent charging?
    Probably easier & cheaper to first double check your wall charger for output and then try a replacement cable?
    If it's 'only' that the USB Port/Card is damaged then a Touchstone should at least still get juice into it.. yes.

I'm definitely trying this! Stuck in the loop and I'm on ics hopefully leaving it for a while will help!
    I've had this happen several times to the 3 touchpads in my family, hadn't considered that it might be doing damage to the battery.

Does anyone know if CM9 has this issue?
    i am experiencing the same on my touchpad on ICS.

left it for several hours but the battery just wont take a charge. the difference with mine is mine is booted on ICS.

I will try charging on webOS this time and see...

I HAVE A FEELING MY BATTERY IS DEAD!

EDIT:

My battery is NOT DEAD! I got a full charge when booting into webos!
    Last edited by johnj2803; 04/20/2012 at 06:19 AM.
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    Hi guys,

I've had a problem with my TP, I have ICS running, but the problem is with the cable/socket.

Ever since i first got my TP, well, probably from day 2 or 3 onwards, The socket was really sloppy, and i always had to be careful, curl my toes correctly, wait for all the planets to align and sure enough the TP would charge.

Well it got worse, and eventually came to the point where i dismantled the cable to bend the pins a little to charge the rotten thing, and that worked beautifully for a few charges until a pin snapped off. I had a very close look at the socket in the TP, and it had a crack, allowing the little tongue to flop around a bit.

I replaced the cable, TP still didn't charge, I got a few different sockets of digikey and replaced the socket.

Now the socket in the tp is made by ACON, and what makes this socket a special HP socket, is that it is actually 'upside down'. Compared to all the connectors (USB Micro B) available, HP had one that is oriented to the 'flat' part of the connector is on the 'bottom', so the 'curved' side of the connector is on the top, as well as the solder lugs being on top of the board.

Now HP also made the connector thinner than other manufacturers, so 1) you will find no connectors on digikey that will match perfectly, so you need to be clever with the soldering iron and take a big bite out of your TP case with a set of cutters.

Doing this all and rebuilding the TP let to a still unpowered tablet.

I should point out, When my cable would no longer recharge, I was travelling so couldn't get a new one, I had the picture of the power plug with the arrow telling me to charge it, but when that went away, the home button flashed side to side, like left to right alternating. That then stopped too after long enough.

So i guess my problem is that the TP battery is completely flat, irreparable damage perhaps, and cannot charge the TP, or even recognise the charger is connected. I've tried all the combinations of resetting to no avail.

I'm thinking my only other option is to power the battery externally with a Swallow charger or something, but a big LIPO and connecting it to a random charger is a scary task i think.... my TP may be up for parts..
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12