Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Today, I will be picking up the HP TouchPad 32GB for my 80-year old Grandma. I've done a lot of searching for info but can not find answers for my biggest concerns. I'm hoping this fine community can help? I plan to stick with webOS and upgrade it to version 3.0.4 immediately.

1. Is Preware 100% compatible with webOS version 3.0.4?

2. Her vision is not so great. How do I permanently and globally (throughout the entire system) increase font size, app icon size and keyboard size?

3. Can a bookmarked webpage be permanently placed on the homepage in icon form (like an app)?

4. Has anyone successfully installed and used TeamViewer? See: TeamViewer - Free Remote Access and Remote Desktop Sharing over the Internet - I use it from my desktop and iPod to fix friends/family computers. Or is there an alternative? (I need to be able to remotely access her TouchPad if it needs to be fixed as I live out of state.)

5. Is there ever a time (certain apps etc.) when the keyboard will not go into landscape mode?

6. Is this unit easy to drop? If so, are there any rubberized grip cases for it? (all I could find was skins)

7. She loves classical music. Are there any good apps for that? Are there any good musical composition or instrument playing apps? (can't seem to browse the entire app catalog from my computer)

8. What hiccups, annoyances, crashes does this tablet typically suffer? In other words, I will receive calls for help and I'd like to know what I can expect, lol.

9. How is the sound quality through quality headphones? (she's a classical musician)

10. Is there a program like MS Word that she can use to create/edit/save documents?

11. Is Hulu working in this thing now or no?

12. What budget stands (to prop it up) exist? (I couldn't find any.)

13. Is there an included USB cord to connect it to a PC? If not, what kind do I need to buy?

14. Has anyone tried using a capacitive stylus on this tablet? Any success?

15. Does the tablet automatically update itself to the newest webOS? (in case I install Preware, wouldn't want this to happen)

16. Is there anything you can think of to add that might help/simplify the learning curve or that she might just really enjoy?

Thank you very much for your time and help!
    I'd go with an iPad (new or used, jt does not matter, check slickdeals for sales) and a subscription to lessons at the apple store-iPad has solid apps for musicians I am told. TouchPad needs more handholding-it is still a first gen product. And even though much cheaper, you run the risk of it gathering dust in her house whereas someone else could properly use it and enjoy it.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    iPad is not an option (cost) or preference. It does not support flash and therefore, the majority of what she'd like to browse on the internet, would not work. But thanks for your reply.
    If she has vision problems, she won't get much use out of Flash on a tablet anyway -- everything in Flash is ridiculously small when scaled to a mobile screen size.

I'd definitely recommend saving up for an iPad. But, to help you out:

1. Preware is a program that installs other programs. It runs on all versions of webOS. It sounds like you're referring to perhaps something that Preware can be used to install, rather than Preware itself?

2. No available options for that in webOS. Not many available options for that in Android, either, from what I see (although I may just not know where to find them). Plenty of options for that in iOS.

3. yes, it's right next to the Bookmark button, "Add to Launcher" or some such

4. no, you can't remotely access the touchpad. . . or any other tablet that i've ever heard of .

5. yes, apps can force whatever orientation they want. some apps force specific orientations, just to be especially frustrating.

6. that's pretty subjective. i just use the official case, which works well for grippiness and solves your request for a stand too

7. try iPad.

8. other than needing a restart if the sound gets weird, nothing that i'm aware of. hopefully that'll be fixed in the next update./

9. fantastic

10. quickoffice, smartoffice

11. get an iPad

12. use the official case, or i guess any other 9.7" tablet stand

13. umm.. yes

14. needs to have a large tip

15. yes, of course it does, and has nothing to do with preware
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    too bad

1. Yes
    2. No way. Zoom with fingers and some apps have setting preferences. Keyboard has icon in bottom right that you can press on and set globally.
    3. Advanced browser app puts bookmarks like app on its home page. Shortcut launcher app will create a shortcut to any webpage and you can put it in the launcher pages
    4. Teamviewer might have been yanked, I'm not sure. Splashtop and there are remote desktop apps in catalogue, as a last resort you can try logmein from browser but might be kludgy.
    5. You can set a rotation lock from top right menu globally
    6. Not easy to drop. Same size as ipad1 so looks for ipad1 cases, look in accessory forums here on this site also to read pros and cons
    7. Not as far as I know for composing, was supposed to have one this fall but then hp cancelled the touchpad. You can try looking for ubuntu or android apps, then install those 2 operating systems. Ubuntu just runs in a card like any other app, android is a dual boot and still alpha but people say is pretty stable.
    8. See forums
    9.sound quality is excellent and the best reason for musician to enjoy this pad
    10. Quick office comes free with pad.
    11. Hulu does not work. There is a patch but could cause problems so I stay away from patches not in preware, very intelligent reasons why preware does not support this patch.
    12. Arkon stand at amazon, also google ipad stands
    13-15 yes
    16. Getting started guide in touchpad forums, read the forums!
    I got my grandma setup with a touchpad trying to replace her computer because she travels and wanted something like a laptop. My grandma only uses facebook, email, and a couple websites so it was easy to add everything she uses to the launcher bar. But for you it seems like your grandma might be a bit more tech savvy. The audio on the touchpad is great, though some touchpads have issues with audio stopping and needing a reset to get it back. Mine has this issue, neither my grandma or my roommates has had this pulseaudio issue so its not an issue for every touchpad, but for me I have to restart probably once a week so if you have the issue it sucks. The Acase brand case works better than the other cheapy cases imo so I would look into that for extra grip. I would kill to have teamviewer, but alas no luck on that type of thing. The music(remix) is much better than the stock for the touchpad so if she will be listening to music, I would get that for her. Oh and my gma liked the wallpaper switcher app I installed, thought it was nice having something new to look at every time she turned it on lol. My sister uses a capacitive stylus so that's definitely an option, though I don't have any aim issues just using my finger. My aunt once had her touchpad (yes my whole family has a touchpad, we went nuts on the firesale) freeze and to force a reset you have to hold the "home" and power buttons for like 5 seconds. That's the worst call I have gotten about a crash, so I would write that down just in case it comes up someday. I have since had to do this once on my own touchpad and considering I use it every day I would say its incredibly rare for them to freeze, but just in case you might want to remember the solution.
    Oh and about getting Hulu to work, there is indeed a fix, however it's not a patch, but a script, if I recall correctly and can break a few other flash sites. None of them were sites I use so I have Hulu working. Search the forums.
    Check out this app for grandma

AudioScape: Drums, Piano, & Soundboards
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Many thanks for the replies. I have the HP Touchpad now and I must say, it's EXCELLENT and an almost perfect solution for her! Gaming aside, I like it much better than my iPod Touch 4th Gen and I think she's going to LOVE it. I have NOT YET installed Preware.

A. I know what Preware is - what I was asking is this: Does it break (render anything unusable) the current webOS (v3.0.4 build 77) or any apps that come from the HP App Catalog? (I remember seeing posts about this... somewhere but I'm not sure if the problems have since been resolved.)

B. Can QuickOffice be used to create a document or do I need SmartOffice for that?

C. How do I DISABLE automatic OS updates?

D. Is there a link that provides a full list of everything that's in the Preware package? (I'm not sure I want to void the warranty for the few (four or five) tweaks I keep reading that it allows - I need to see what else it offers before downloading and installing it.)

E. When webpages are fully zoomed out, the text is somewhat blurry. Any fixes for this?

F. Why does it take like 3 or 4 tries of holding in the power button to get it to cold boot up and only a quick tap to bring it back from standby mode? Suggestions?

G. Is it possible to add a new tab in the menu section (where apps are displayed)?

***Huge thanks for the tips and music(remix) and AudioScape app recommendations, I will look into those!
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnightz View Post
    Many thanks for the replies. I have the HP Touchpad now and I must say, it's EXCELLENT and an almost perfect solution for her! Gaming aside, I like it much better than my iPod Touch 4th Gen and I think she's going to LOVE it. I have NOT YET installed Preware.

A. I know what Preware is - what I was asking is this: Does it break (render anything unusable) the current webOS (v3.0.4 build 77) or any apps that come from the HP App Catalog? (I remember seeing posts about this... somewhere but I'm not sure if the problems have since been resolved.)

B. Can QuickOffice be used to create a document or do I need SmartOffice for that?

C. How do I DISABLE automatic OS updates?

D. Is there a link that provides a full list of everything that's in the Preware package? (I'm not sure I want to void the warranty for the few (four or five) tweaks I keep reading that it allows - I need to see what else it offers before downloading and installing it.)

E. When webpages are fully zoomed out, the text is somewhat blurry. Any fixes for this?

F. Why does it take like 3 or 4 tries of holding in the power button to get it to cold boot up and only a quick tap to bring it back from standby mode? Suggestions?

G. Is it possible to add a new tab in the menu section (where apps are displayed)?

***Huge thanks for the tips and music(remix) and AudioScape app recommendations, I will look into those!
    A. You can install anything in Preware without breaking apps in 3.04 and it is all fine with HP except for kernels. Do not install any kernels or you will break your warranty.
    Once we get 3.05, you will need to wait a week or so until your Preware items are updated by the devs, you can just leave them on the TouchPad until they are updated or you can uninstall the patches (I generally uninstall the patches and put them back after the devs have updated them but you do not have to do this).
    Do not install any patches or fixes that are not in Preware or the app catalog. What you probably read where issues where people installed patches not in Preware and then ran into trouble (ie the Hulu patch). Just don't do this and you will be fine.

B. Quickoffice is fine to create documents.

C. Disabling automatic updates is a procedure that is not in Preware and therefore it is not recommended. Only do the things that are in PreWare.

D. Open up Preware and you can scroll all the applications and patches and get a description of each one. Please buy the PreWare documentation app in the catalog for 0.99 as it has all the answers to this.

E. no fixes. Try buying the advanced browser or wait until 3.05

F. Install the advanced reset patch in Preware to give you more options. Luna restart is a short reboot of the operating system, like rebooting up windows.
    Device restart is like restarting your whole computer including the Linux underpinnings and is somewhat longer.
    Power down is shutting off computer and you will boot up from a cold start (takes the longest).
    In many cases you will just need the luna restart.

G. install Add Launcher tabs in Preware patches.
    F. I don't know why you have to hold it so long for a cold boot up, unlike other devices (iOS) which require you to hold it for maybe 4-5 seconds, but it just makes sense to make it longer compared to waking the device. It takes just a tap for waking up since the device is already on and really all you're doing is activating the screen.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    She might find it a bit slow and unresponsive at times.

(Look, I tried to resist posting it but I just couldn't)
    Do you like Touchpads? Do you like Android? Do you hate Android but just need an app or two? Do you just like belonging to forums? Try this: http://forums.webosnation.com/android-touchpad/
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Thanks...

Does Advanced Browser actually correct the poorly rendered text on webpages when zoomed out?

If I understand you, avoid (kernels) overclocking and patches that are not included in Preware and when I update to webOS 3.0.5, I should have no problems. Correct?

Yes, the booting up problem is quite strange. I expect the boot process to be slow. I was just not expecting to have to push the power button 5763829 times before it actually does anything. I think you've misunderstood me. I have to REPEATEDLY hold in (for up to 10 seconds ON EVERY BACK TO BACK ATTEMPT) the power button to get the device to boot up. Otherwise, nothing happens - no HP logo, nothing. After several failed attempts, it will display the HP logo and then take forever to load but as I said, I expected that - read it everywhere before purchasing. The power button is of course very responsive (instantly) when bringing it out of standby mode so I guess the button itself is not broken. Maybe the timer is broken or webOS has no sense of rhythm? LOL

That said, after looking through Preware (installed now, yay), I am surprised there are no patches to optimize system boot time. Or some kind of app that allows you to select a custom startup. Maybe webOS absolutely needs everything it loads to boot up properly?

type system update and open app, make sure you are updated to 3.04
    After that, it takes a few hours to start initially but then should be fine, you should not have to press so many times.

If you are having to still press a lot, search in the touchpad forum for getting started guide and install the list of patches he suggests.
    If you are not going to use a touchstone, get the Targus Truss case for her--you should be able to find it for less than $20 (maybe at Barnes & Noble...). That case has a great stand in landscape mode and really protects the TP. Load Preware so you have access to more apps. If you are worried about conflicts with the coming update don't overclock, don't load any themes, and don't patch the keyboard. All of those would have to be undone before updating. There aren't any patches that you have to add. I got my sister and brother-in-law a TP and had the same concerns as you do (they get nervous with anything too techy). Right now I have them running 3.0.4 without any patches--just a few Preware apps. I'm running my TP the same way right now and I'm happy with it.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    It is absolutely updated to v3.0.4, lol.

I've already installed every available performance tweak. When the TouchPad is on, it runs beautifully. It's getting the device to turn on (whether stock machine or tweaked), that seems to be the problem.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.
    something is wrong. did you get a new one? if behavior persists you may need to doctor
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Yes, it was brand new, sealed in the box. I take it this isn't a known quirk of the HP TouchPad, eh?
    you have to hold the button for about 5 secconds before it fires, then it takes some time to get to tablet display, seems the solid state drive takes awhile to activate...pretty normal, even clocked...

you can always remove tweaks or doctor back to stock...

Have fun...

Laterzzzz.............
    32g and playing