Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gamer765
  1.    #1  
    This started a few weeks ago when my WIFI connection at home started taking longer and longer, then started to lose connection after a few minutes, reconnecting again.

Now, it connects maybe 10% of the time, rarely taking less than a few minutes of retries. Yet sometimes I connect in under 10 seconds. Then lose it in a few minutes. It also doesn't matter if I keep WIFI on or off between sessions.

At first, re-entering the PW was enough. Now that doesn't help. It will not connect for any number of excuses; cannot connect; association failed; etc.

The DLINK Dl-624 router setup has changed passwords. The only other changes I made recently was to go to WPA2 from default WPA or WEP, and enable extended range to perhaps solve the problem. It is no better than before.

The router is 30 feet away from my usual Tpad use location, and it was that same position when I got a connection in seconds before. It used to have a dot and usually 1 arc before, and since going to LR it always has 1 often 2 arcs so the signal strength is better. Bringing the Tpad close to the router (4 feet) does not help much.

So far I have not been able to test if the Dlink is at fault, but I still had this problem a month ago when I was visiting another home with a WIFI setup, but it was not as hard to connect.

Any ideas??
    jgb (Tpad)
    Palm Treo 680, HP Touchpad
    Go to a Starbucks or McDonalds, my TouchPad works great at both of those places. If you still have problems, the last resort is to doctor your TouchPad and if that does not work, send it in for warranty repair.

If it works fine at the above places then it is your router. Many people in have had issues with D link routers.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    there are a ton of topics on this Issue, including one with 381 replies. I suggest searching there first.
    If it was working and then got significantly worse then something changed. Either something is wrong with the router or touchpad or perhaps someone moved in near you with a router or other device using that frequency range which is interfering with yours. Doesn't have to be a router, there are many other devices which can interfere including bluetooth, home alarms, baby monitors, microwaves to name just a few. Easiest things to try are to try a different wireless channel and/or read some forums like those dlink hosts, dslreports and I'm sure there are others if you google, as WIFI connectivity problems are common and not limited to the touchpad. As suggested above, there are also already LONG threads here discussing WIFI issues as well, search is your friend.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the replies.

I'll know better next week when my B-in-Law visits for a week with his laptop. He was the one that bought and installed the Dlink a few years ago so he could work at the kitchen table. I will also venture out to visit a few hotspots to test.

As for interference, there are more hotspots around me now than a few months ago, at least 1 is only 60 feet away and has a strong signal. All are PW'ed so I can't get on any of them. That could very well be the reason, although I thought WIFI was smart enough to drill through the RFI.

As for Dlink, I'm ready to deep-6 it. There is no longer any free support for my model. The pay support costs more than a retail replacement. THAT will not be a Dlink fur-shur!!

If my tests still point to the Tpad as the problem, I will return here, but otherwise, this thread is tentatively closed.
    Last edited by jgbtpad; 12/03/2011 at 04:05 PM. Reason: spell check
    jgb (Tpad)
    I have a dlink that does this. But not as bad.
    What you should be doing is going into Device Info and at the top left corner run Diagnostics. You want to run the automated diagnostics which will test your memory, bluetooth and wifi. I was having the same issue with my Touchpad where it connected about 10% of the time. The wifi test came back with a warning. Sent my touchpad to get it fixed as well as my cracked case and nonfunctioning mic, got it back and everything is dandy.
    jgbtpad likes this.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by gamer765 View Post
    What you should be doing is going into Device Info and at the top left corner run Diagnostics. You want to run the automated diagnostics which will test your memory, bluetooth and wifi. I was having the same issue with my Touchpad where it connected about 10% of the time. The wifi test came back with a warning. Sent my touchpad to get it fixed as well as my cracked case and nonfunctioning mic, got it back and everything is dandy.
    Everything tests ok. This morning I got connected in 2 tries. Yesterday I never got on.
    jgb (Tpad)
    if you haven't already, try pulling the power plug on your dlink, wait 10 seconds, then plug it back in. See if it connects after that.

also, try changing your wireless channel. Use 1, 6 or 11, whichever you're not using now.
    I had the same issue, same router. In my searching I kept coming back to the same common denominator, that one brand/model router. After trying everything that others said to try I gave up and bought a different brand router. Setup the identical configuration and have had no issues since then.
  11.    #11  
    Well yesterday and today I connected In under 10 seconds and stayed on.
    The only difference was the 2 strong other nearby WIFI were NOT on, or at least not detected.
    So the major part of my problem seems to be RFI.
    Next week (when I have 2 mobiles at hand) I'll test whether channel changing and/or reverting back to WMA/WEP have any positive effect, and if not I'll get a new router.
    jgb (Tpad)
    @OP

My TP likes wpa2 and would constantly drop wpa1 till I figured it out. Hope that helps.
    HP Touchpad 16GB, webOS 3.0.4, UberKernel 3.0.4-68 @ 1.5Ghz
    HTC Evo 4G, Mynís Synergy ROM RLS1 (Android 2.3.3)
    B&N NOOKcolor, Phiremod 7.1 (Android 2.3.7), @ 1.1Ghz
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by rico2001 View Post
    @OP

My TP likes wpa2 and would constantly drop wpa1 till I figured it out. Hope that helps.
    I switched from WEP to WPA2 ostensibly to improve the speed and security. I haven't noticed any improvement, so going back may not be a loss.

Oh, and just an hour ago my 2 "friends" powered up and I lost connection.
    jgb (Tpad)
  14. uh2
    The TP is sensitive to something in relation to certain routers. What that is, I didn't take the time to find out. I had the same wireless problems...sometimes it would connect to my Buffalo WHR-G300N, sometimes it wouldn't. I had other clients connecting fine, including an iPod and my Android phone. I replaced the Buffalo with a Netgear WNR3500L/U/v2, and the problems disappeared. Completely.

I'm actually about to be CWNA certified, I just haven't taken the time to sniff the traffic to figure out what was causing the issue.
  15.    #15  
    I made a few tweaks to my Dlink and so far so good.

I went to channel 6 and used the "Turbo" option, as well as the extended range option.

My Tpad WIFI stayed on all yesterday and overnight and was instantly available this morning with zero time to reconnect. Mind you that was early and no other WIFI's were visible around me, so I'll wait till later today to update.
    jgb (Tpad)
  16.    #16  
    Well that did the trick.

If you have connection problems that seem to be interference related go into your router and change the default channel from 1 or auto to some other fixed channel (I used channel 6). Your device will find the operating channel when connecting.

Now I do not see any other WIFI's near me when connected and haven't had a single disconnect. Connecting takes the normal 5 to 10 seconds.

My b-in-law has an old Dell laptop, and has no problem. In fact his laptop is so old I had to revert back to WPA from WPA2 so he could connect.

My brother has a Samsung pad and also had no problem. Curiously, the Samsung saw at least a dozen other WIFI's nearby when I could only see a max of 4. He also has a Tpad but prefers the smaller Samsung when out of his home.

Again, thanks for the help.
    jgb (Tpad)
    I know if I have the microwave going in my house, the wifi drops on my touchpad instantly (on different wifi channels too). Doesnt seem to affect any of the other wifi devices in my house just my touchpad. Very strange.
  18. uh2
    Quote Originally Posted by dbennett78 View Post
    I know if I have the microwave going in my house, the wifi drops on my touchpad instantly (on different wifi channels too). Doesnt seem to affect any of the other wifi devices in my house just my touchpad. Very strange.
    Switching to a 5ghz band router will fix that. Beyond that, find the label on the back or inside of the microwave. It should give you the operating frequency. Set your access point to a channel as far away from that as possible (Channel 1 or 11 preferably).
  19.    #19  
    There is a long list of devices that operate or emit RFI in the frequency range of WIFI.

Microwaves emit the most power, but they are generally well shielded. If your MW is emitting RFI then borrow a tester and check the door seals. Even a small paper thin gap will flood out RFI.

Baby monitors, cordless phones, garage door openers and even some wireless door/window alarm modules are also culprits.

Changing channels will help by trial & error. But not for an RFI emitter, rather than a device operating normally on some specific narrow frequency.
    jgb (Tpad)