Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By johnleo
  1.    #1  
    After installing CM7 alpha3, I noticed that I just had 3GB space on my sdcard. There are a video and some pictures, as well as those apks and ipks. Then I found that in the .palm folder, there are several folders and file with very weird names. Can not figure out what they are and are for. Can I delete them?
    My guess is that these are the game files I installed on webos. Not sure.
    Thanks
    qlearner likes this.
    do not delete those files. That's the program files for all your 3rd-party apps.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by johnleo View Post
    After installing CM7 alpha3, I noticed that I just had 3GB space on my sdcard. There are a video and some pictures, as well as those apks and ipks. Then I found that in the .palm folder, there are several folders and file with very weird names. Can not figure out what they are and are for. Can I delete them?
    My guess is that these are the game files I installed on webos. Not sure.
    Thanks
    There should be only one folder that's large for webos (in my case a few hundred mb). Other large files (in my case ~2 gb each) are the ones you installed or mounted (e.g. ubuntu). If you installed the same thing multiple times (in my case ubuntu multiple times), you might have several large files in the .palm folder. When you are done using cm7 or ubuntu and want to unload cm7 or ubuntu, you should delete these monsters to reclaim your space!

Sometimes if you use mv command to remove files, they are still in the .palm folder. You can delete them from here too.
  4.    #4  
    so that's my cm7. Really big!
    Is there any way to tell which of the files and folders in the .palm folder are deletable? My folder is up to 1 GB and I'd really like some of that space back, if possible.

Thanks for any assistance and ideas.

K
    If you want to try deleting anything, look in /media/cryptofs. However, you should not have to manually managed that, since it's done automatically by the app management system. Is it not normal to have more than 1GB of apps?

BTW, if you'd like to see and use the files in their unencrypted form directly from /media/internal, I have a solution: Experimental: Cutting out the middleman (cryptofs)
    Thanks for the quick reply. I appreciate it.

One of the files in the .palm folder is 120 MB all by itself. I don't remember any app I downloaded being that big. That's why I was curious as to whether I could delete it - I thought it might be some cumulative logfile I could delete.

Truth be told, I don't know what's normal regarding app memory. I was poking around the media partition, and I found that my total memory usage for storage, without any music or movies, on a dual-boot system (CM9), had crept up from 6 GB for just webOS to 11 GB total. As I understand it, that's 6 GB reserved for webOS, 2 GB for the CM9 partition, and 3 GB for a bunch of other stuff. I've found several large folders and was hoping I could delete some stuff. I'm going to post a question or two in the Android for webOS (4G) forum in a bit about Android memory usage, too.

I appreciate the link, and it looks interesting, but I haven't done any programming since graduate school. Too much command line for me tonight. Maybe another time.

Thanks again -

K
    If you have any games, it's likely that one has an assets package that's large. If you have SSH + SFTP set up, you can go explore the folder on your computer, or otherwise use Internalz Pro.