webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Convert DVD VOBs to MP4 with FFMPEG
Convert DVD VOBs to MP4 with FFMPEG

Old 12/02/2011, 05:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
thg
Homebrew Developer

Hi,

I want to convert my DVDs to MP4 (or what is the best for the TouchPad) automaticly with a Linux bash-script.

I have decrypted and copied all my DVDs on my server and would like to convert the resulting VOBs into one MP4-file for each DVD, probably using FFMPEG.

Unfortunately I have no clue how I get the different VOB-files in the correct order and together, that FFMPEG can convert them into one file.

Any idea how to do this from the shell?

And what are the best FFMPEG parameters to watch the film on the TouchPad later?

Thanks a lot,

thg
thg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2011, 12:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

Probably the best info on video conversion is at VideoHelp.com - Forum, Guides, Tools and hardware lists.
bdbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2011, 12:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

I use WinX DVD Ripper Platinum. Works great for me.
Old 12/03/2011, 01:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

DvdFab hands down. A lot of good things in this piece of software. A bunch of auto settings just for tablets/phones and iPods. Pretty cool.
shoutcastR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2011, 12:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
thg
Homebrew Developer

Hi everybody,

thanks a lot for yours answers.

Unfortunately all solutions seems not to work in a Linux-shell?

Actually I would like to have a solution that works fully automatic, I ripp the full DVD on my server (without all the stupid DRM for sure), the server recognizes that there is a new DVD and will process it and convert into a mp4-file.

This should work with ffmpeg, but I do not know how to get the source VOB-files together.

I also searched the VideoHelp.com-forum, but had not found a solution for this.
Old 12/04/2011, 02:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thg View Post
Hi everybody,

thanks a lot for yours answers.

Unfortunately all solutions seems not to work in a Linux-shell?

I do not know how to get the source VOB-files together.
Hi thg,

Your best bet is to combine the vob files into one file first. I think that when dealing with the vob files in a linux command shell, you can just combine them into one larger vob file using the 'cat' command like this:

cat *.vob > movie.vob

Usually each of the vob files ripped from the DVD will be numbered, so the cat command above should concatenate them together in the right order automatically. The way I've written the command, you will want to already be in the folder containing your separate vob files for a particular movie when you run it.

From there you can just run FFmpeg on the big combined vob file, which will make things way easier from that point on, especially using a shell script.

Last edited by sq5; 12/04/2011 at 02:53 PM.
ArchonAdvisors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2011, 06:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
thg
Homebrew Developer

Hi,

just a short update:

theoreticly it is possible to use handbrake for this, because it also has a CLI-program for it:

/usr/bin/HandBrakeCLI -i $VOBSourceDir -o $DestFile.m4v -e x264 -q 20.0 -r 25 --pfr -a 1 -E faac -B 160 -6 dpl2 -R Auto -D 0.0 -f mp4 -4 -X 1024 --loose-anamorphic -m

Practical I get an error on Linux, but it works on MacOS. So I still have to look in this ...

Last edited by thg; 12/05/2011 at 05:27 AM.
Old 12/05/2011, 05:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
thg
Homebrew Developer

Hi sq5,

thanks a lot for your answer.

Quote:
cat *.vob > movie.vob
Are you sure that this will result in a working VOB-file?

As far as I know, in VOB-files es some extra content, that makes it impossible to concatenate them.

Right now I have an other porblem with Handbrake anayway:

I'm using the "iPad"-preset but the created mp4 (or m4v) files are a little bit too high, a circle is more like an "O", faces are too long and people are "bigger" and "thinner" than they should be.

This happens with the original webOS-video-player and with the KalemSoft-video-player, but even if I play the original VOBs with the KalemSoft-video-player. I already tried some different picture settings like cropping, but no success. It seems to be, that the scaling on the TouchPad is not that perfect?
Old 12/05/2011, 08:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thg View Post

Are you sure that this will result in a working VOB-file?

As far as I know, in VOB-files es some extra content, that makes it impossible to concatenate them.
I have concatenated vob files myself in the past without issue, so assuming the format hasn't changed significantly, it can be done. However you do raise a good point, so let me explain a little more without making it sound complicated (because it's not) hopefully...

With movies, you are likely to have one large or a few large vob's containing the whole movie, a small vob or two containing the menus and another bunch of small vob's containing the extras separately. It's pretty easy to tell just by the file sizes. Just delete the vob's you don't need and concatenate the rest since the extras are in separate vob's from the main movie. Basically all you want is the files named VTS_01_1.VOB through VTS_01_9.VOB

Here's another way of understanding what is what:

VIDEO_TS.BUP [don't need this]
VIDEO_TS.IFO [don't need this] The first video play item index, usually a copyright notice or a menu
VIDEO_TS.VOB [don't need this] The first video play item
VTS_01_0.BUP [don't need this]
VTS_01_0.VOB Title 01, VOB 0, [don't need this] the menu for this title

*VTS_01_1.VOB Title 01, VOB 1, the video for this title starts here
*VTS_01_2.VOB Title 01, VOB 2, if larger than 1 GB it will be splitted into several vobs
*VTS_01_3.VOB Title 01, VOB 3, and so on...
*VTS_01_4.VOB Title 01, VOB 4, up to 10(0-9) total VOB files if necessary

VTS_02_0.BUP [don't need this]
VTS_02_0.IFO Title 02 index [don't need this], usually for movie extras
VTS_02_0.VOB Title 02, VOB 0 [don't need this], the menu for this title
VTS_02_1.VOB Title 02, VOB 1 [don't need this], the video for this title
VTS_02_2.VOB Title 02, VOB 2 [don't need this], up to 10(0-9) total VOB files if necessary

Btw, with whatever command line program you are using to rip the dvd, there is probably a parameter just to rip only the VOB's for Title 1 and skip the rest in the first place.

As to your handbrake output issue, I haven't converted any DVD's for my TouchPad yet myself so someone else who has can probably chime in on that more quickly.

You might find your answer first in this thread though:
http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...et-dvds-1.html

It sound's like people used most of the settings from the ipad preset, but with a few changes.

Last edited by sq5; 12/05/2011 at 08:54 AM.
ArchonAdvisors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2011, 01:47 AM   #10 (permalink)

I found that use Aneesoft DVD to H.264 Video Converter to convert the DVDs for touchpad is not bad, the quality is OK.
From this google search Google

Oh, sorry. seems it only works on PC...

Last edited by Jane66; 12/16/2011 at 01:56 AM.
Jane66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0