Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Pitxitxita
  • 1 Post By FordPrefect
  1.    #1  
    [RANT]
    Overnight (while I was sleeping) my Touchpad decided to restore itself to factory settings. When I discovered this on the next day (Day 1) I tried to put things back to right - setting up accounts, etc. I noticed that the App Catalog didn't work along with about 6 other apps. I waited a few hours to see if it would automagically fix itself. It did not.

So I contacted Tech support early afternoon on Day 1. At their direction I reset the TP a couple of times. Then we were going to try the Doctor. That didn't work. This took over 2 hours and I had to end it since I had to be somewhere.

Day 2 I played with the TP on my own and finally got DR to work - something about being in developer mode that the tech forgot to mention before. That didn't work so I again contacted tech support first thing in the AM. We repeated everything I did on Day 1 with the first tech: resetting several times, then DR again. Then the tech wants to kill off my Profile and start a new one - WAIT A MINUTE! My Pre2 uses that profile, and I need my Pre2 to work, and to talk to the TP. Then there are all the paid apps on both devices. The tech wasn't even sure if it would fix the problem. I was told it might, there really isn't anything left to try. I declined to try this until we knew 100% sure it would fix things. At this point we are 2-3 hours into it - the tech has run out of things to try. Now we are going to escalate it to a higher up tech. They want a day/time/phone number to call me back. No problem....anytime on 3 days of the week - not at all on my work days. Note: so far I'm a happy camper. Problems happen, Tech support can't fix everything the first call...I get it.

Day 6 - a work day - I get a call from home that HP has called and seemed surprised I was not there to talk to them. (PROBLEM #1) I checked my email and sure enough they are closing my ticket because I was not there to talk to them. I had to spend my lunch time - well 45 minutes of it - calling HP support back and trying to explain why they should not close my ticket, and yes I still had the problem. No I don't have the TP serial number,and no we can't reset the TP - I'm at work and the TP is at home!!! From what I was told, the time I said they could call was written down, but not the days. I have a log of the conversation, so I know I did tell them. They will call me back on my day off - anytime 8am-8pm

Day 8 (my day off) - 7:30 am. HP calls. Wakes up partner, who growls and hangs up on them. Someone is very cranky when woken up 'in the middle of the night'. I wasn't expecting the call...since it wasn't 8am yet. 15 minutes later I would have had the phone with me at the far end of the house. I called HP back. Go through the blah blah blah with a first level tech. Takes me 30 minutes to explain why they just need to bump the call up to the next level. No thank you, we are not going to try a reset first...etc

Now, FINALLY!, we are getting somewhere. Me, the TP, the Tech all in the same place & time.

Then the tech says - there is a system wide known problem with the servers and we can't fix the problem. (PROBLEM #2) Then she wants to know when they can call me to let me know things are fixed. They are apparently not open on the weekends (first time anyone has said that) so there is one day they can call me back...if/when it gets fixed. For some reason they cannot just send me an email that says, "ok, try it now" I suppose it is the same reason they could not have on any Day 2 through 8 just sent an email that said - "no point in calling you right now, things are still broken but we are working on it." Better yet, back on Day 6 when I actually talked to a live tech at the right level, why didn't they say something then?

Because this is a "system wide" and a "known problem", I came here. I don't see a huge outcry that I would expect of something 'system wide'. Many people said it cleared up on it's own. I'm thinking they just don't know what the problem is and are giving me BS until they do.

So my point of posting this is
    • Hope that someone at HP sees this and hears a lifelong customer is not happy
      1. with the lack of communication both between techs (not putting down the days to call) and with me
      2. not being able to send an email that says "we are working on it". That doesn't require a two way conversation. I still think you could also send an email that says "Try a reset now, we think it's fixed."
      3. when it is a follow up call I still have to go all the way through the same song & dance: reset, etc so forth. It makes me think your techs don't trust your other techs - so why should I trust any of them either?
      4. with Techs not knowing there is a "known issue" - certainly they should have got the memo by Day 6, right?
      5. that I was asked to kill my profile, throw away all my paid apps, and essentially break my Pre2 (which is working fine TYVM) - simply because the tech couldn't think of anything else to try. There is no shame in saying "I don't know" when you don't know the answer.
    • Let some other person with the same issue know they are not alone
    • Just vent to people who will understand and perhaps share my frustration.

I'm also not happy I missed the sale apps over Black Friday. There were several on the list I really wanted to get.
    [/RANT]

At this point I trust the minds here more than HP techs - if anyone has ideas, especially ones that don't kill off my profile, I'm more than happy to try them.

In the meanwhile - I'm going to go read a book.
    First, I am very sorry to hear that you've had such a difficult experience with HP's technical support. I have had several contacts with them myself, and this has not been my personal experience.

Second, I'm sure many others here would like to offer some assistance, but would need a little more information first. You stated:

the App Catalog didn't work along with about 6 other apps.
    Which other apps are not working, and can you describe what is not working about them? Is it at all similar to these similar threads regarding the App Catalog?

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-triangle.html
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...p-catalog.html

If so, the common solution here looks like going to Software Manager, and tapping on the yellow triangle "!" icon then attempting to reinstall or re-download the program. Not the name, not the bar, just the error icon itself. Anything else seems to open the app in an "emulator" (small screen) window, and in some cases an index.html website.

If not, any additional information you could provide would help others attempt a solution.

FP
    42. Yes, that seems appropriate.
    Pitxitxita likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by FordPrefect View Post
    First, I am very sorry to hear that you've had such a difficult experience with HP's technical support. I have had several contacts with them myself, and this has not been my personal experience.

Second, I'm sure many others here would like to offer some assistance, but would need a little more information first. You stated:

Which other apps are not working, and can you describe what is not working about them? Is it at all similar to these similar threads regarding the App Catalog?

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-triangle.html
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...p-catalog.html

If so, the common solution here looks like going to Software Manager, and tapping on the yellow triangle "!" icon then attempting to reinstall or re-download the program. Not the name, not the bar, just the error icon itself. Anything else seems to open the app in an "emulator" (small screen) window, and in some cases an index.html website.

If not, any additional information you could provide would help others attempt a solution.

FP
    42. Yes, that seems appropriate.
    THANK YOU! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!!
    It worked

Of course the downside is now I am even more convinced of the incompetence of HP tech support. That is simple enough a first level tech should have tried it. And I'm kicking myself - I knew that I should have come to the forums before tech support.<sigh> next time I'll remember!
    Well don't feel alone, I have been waiting for a solution to my TP catalog problem since 10/05. Lost count of the number of people I talked to before HQ Sr. Techs got in on the act. I talked with 4 so called HQ techs and still waiting for a call back from the last one I talked to.

Lets face it tech support is something that HP gives lip service to. It is mostly just guess work on their part. I even told them where to look to resolve the problem and one of the so called Techs agreed with me, but still does not work.

You can go on line, google HP CEO and find a HP site to email the CEO, you will probably hear back but not from her.

So good luck, hope you end up with better results than I have thus far recieved.