Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Update: TCP Window Scaling / Receive Window / RWIN fix in post #29.

Firstly, this is a great site - lots of great info and resources.

I've got a 16GB Touchpad, and I've always thought that WebOS on a tablet would be awesome. Nuances aside, I still stand by that belief.

However I'm pulling my hair out over the following. I've got two wifi networks at home; one is running WEP (for "guest" access on a DMZ), the other WPA2 with AES encryption. Over the years we've had 4-5 laptops and 3-4 smartphones use one or the other of these wifi networks with no problem. My Touchpad also works well on either network...when accessing intranet resources (ie, streaming video over DLNA, using web applications on the intranet web server, etc).

But it's hit or miss (mostly miss) accessing anything on the Internet. This includes websites and updating feeds in preware.

The same thing happens when I set up a wifi hotspot on my Android smartphone: slow/no performance with the Touchpad, lightning fast on my netbook and my wife's laptop.

And yet... at work, the Touchpad is rock-solid accessing the Internet over wifi and ADSL.

This sounds like an MTU problem, so I've tried changing eth0 to use an MTU of 1400, then 1300. No difference. I think I even tried setting up a policy on my home Cisco router to clear the DF bit (Do-not-Fragment) and that didn't help either. And I'm pretty sure I've told the router to adjust the TCP MSS, and again no change.

Not to mention that none of these changes will alleviate the problem when using the smartphone's wifi hotspot.

So I'm stumped. Any suggestions from somebody with more Touchpad experience?
    Last edited by piperdr2; 12/30/2011 at 09:03 AM.
    I am also having issues with my home wifi. Admittedly, it is an older linksys unit but I don't have issues with other devices like laptops and connected blueray players and the like.

What happens is that the the connection appears to just "freeze" and nothing happens. Going to wi-fi preferences seems to let the TP "re-search" for the connection and that often gets it going again.

Don't have this problem at work or with using my rooted EVO with wireless tether.

And FWIW, the EVO wireless hotspot is simply great. Rooting was pretty easy and I use the wireless tether all the time. Highly recommend it for anyone with a TP
    I too have issues with weak wifi reception. My phone will pick up a hot spot just fine but for the TouchPad it's hit or miss, even right next to each other.
    Down with the BourgeoisOS oppressors, webOS users unite!
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    I am also having issues with my home wifi. Admittedly, it is an older linksys unit but I don't have issues with other devices like laptops and connected blueray players and the like.

What happens is that the the connection appears to just "freeze" and nothing happens. Going to wi-fi preferences seems to let the TP "re-search" for the connection and that often gets it going again.
    In my scenario, when browsing an Internet site seems to stall I can still open another browser and access my intranet web server without issue. Again, intranet access is flawless, it's only internet access that's hit or miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    I too have issues with weak wifi reception. My phone will pick up a hot spot just fine but for the TouchPad it's hit or miss, even right next to each other.
    Hard to tell if this is weak reception, and I don't think that it is for much the same reason I mentioned above to midmofan; wifi performance in general is fine, it's just issues with Internet access. The bars are always full, and I'm sure if I looked at the access point it would show an acceptable signal strength for the Touchpad wireless association. I swear it sounds like a Path MTU Discovery issue, but everything I've tried to alleviate that particular condition hasn't helped at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by piperdr2 View Post
    In my scenario, when browsing an Internet site seems to stall I can still open another browser and access my intranet web server without issue. Again, intranet access is flawless, it's only internet access that's hit or miss.

Hard to tell if this is weak reception, and I don't think that it is for much the same reason I mentioned above to midmofan; wifi performance in general is fine, it's just issues with Internet access. The bars are always full, and I'm sure if I looked at the access point it would show an acceptable signal strength for the Touchpad wireless association. I swear it sounds like a Path MTU Discovery issue, but everything I've tried to alleviate that particular condition hasn't helped at all.
    Should have noted that I don't have a reception problem either always plenty of bars, its just when on the internet and I try, for example, to go to a different web page, the screen goes white but instead of loading the new page progress bar stops about an inch in and stays there. Very often going to the wifi preferences screen "un-sticks" it.
    dunno anything technical but fyi mine is perfect on internet, and has been whenever I've taken it somewhere else - other peoples houses etc. Never missed a beat, or frozen.
    Could it be a DNS issue?
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I was having the exact same issue for months and months and i'm not totally sure i've fixed it, however I have had a solid connection for almost a week now (knocking on wood).

I don't remember where i found the info, nor it being directly related to the problem, however my connection issues were so severe I was willing to try anything (was having to restart wifi every few minutes...)!

In my router settings under "Advanced Wireless" I changed:

Beacon Period to - 75
    RTS Threshold to - 2304
    Fragmentation Threshold to - 2304

Seems to have fixed my issue (knocking on wood again!) Hope it helps you too =)

ps I have a D-Link DIR-655 router.
    Mine is an E3000 but worth a try, will see how it goes, thanks. Mine isn't bad but does freeze up now and again.
    Mine's a Linksys/Cisco E4200, no problem whatsoever. Rarely get to use the wifi-N due to its short range. Usually on wifi-G only. Works for both intra- and internet sites. Using the 1.0.03 firmware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post
    Mine's a Linksys/Cisco E4200, no problem whatsoever. Rarely get to use the wifi-N due to its short range. Usually on wifi-G only. Works for both intra- and internet sites. Using the 1.0.03 firmware.
    An E4200 should offer N in both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. While true 5GHz has a short range, 2.4GHz N can have as good or better range as G although you may have to set the channel width to narrow (20MHz) rather than wide (40Mz) to get the best range. It's on my 2.4GHz N that I am trying the above changes. I don't run Linksys firmware but a flavor of Tomato.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. Truly though I'm a little hesitant to make changes on the network, particularly since it won't solve connectivity issues between the Touchpad and my smartphone's wifi hotspot. And potentially an unknown number of public wifi hotspots.

It's worth noting that both my work wireless access point and my home wireless access point are Cisco Aironet devices; both have the same basic config with the exception of the WPA passphrase. And that's saying nothing for the other home wireless access point I have which is running WEP.

This morning, after being utterly unable to load a leapfrog.com website to check out a toy for my son, I decided to establish a VPN from the Touchpad into work - and over this VPN I was able to access all of the goodies on the intranet at work. This pretty much proves that local wifi connectivity is not the problem, as a problem inhibiting me from browsing the web from my home wifi connection should also inhibit me from establishing a VPN to an Internet host. And I was using some fairly complex web apps over the VPN. So again, I know that wifi performance isn't the issue, and at this point I'm utterly convinced that it's a PMTUD or MSS problem.

So tonight I'm going to try playing with MSS values in the Touchpad itself, either via the routing table or iptables. I may even move my access point to a hub and sniff Ethernet packets using my netbook, so I can see what TCP options are being set in the Touchpad's SYN packets. I really want to address the problem on the Touchpad, as various reports have convinced me that it's the device that needs to be "fixed".

For what it's worth I'm running 3.0.4 with UberKernel. However I had connectivity problems doing the initial TouchPad setup while tethered to my smartphone, long before I knew anything about Preware <g>
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post
    Could it be a DNS issue?
    That's always a good place to look, but I don't think that's my problem. On my home network I run two internal DNS servers/resolvers that all of my wired and wireless clients access. So a problem in DNS hitting one website from the Touchpad would affect all of my other clients going to the same website.

That's saying nothing for the smartphone wifi hotspot issue also. That could also be a DNS issue, but I can guarantee that if I tether both my netbook and my Touchpad at the same time, then the netbook will happily surf websites while the Touchpad will be stuck in limbo.

Right now I'm considering this problem to be a intriguing challenge - I'm not giving up on the Touchpad yet.
    What are your IP subnet settings on the local wifi? It would be interesting to see what the routing table of the TP is. In a vpn connection you are using one connection for all traffic and your routing table is modified to use the work settings and dns servers.
    I don't think mine is DNS. It's like the connection just loses "sync", sort of like WDS (wireless distribution system) can do between some routers where you seem to have a connection but nothing is flowing over it. Sometimes just touching on wireless brings it back, sometimes I have to turn wireless off and back on. It's not all that frequent but still a PITA when it happens. I made the suggested wireless changes but too soon to know if it helped, I'm not even at home with my touchpad now to see,
    If I may add my two cents.

I was having a similar issue when I first got my TP. I almost pulled out what little hair I had in my head. I was discussing the issue with a friend of mine. We tried the MTU, DNS and Mac bonding stuff and all led to failure.

Then I started my online search for answers. On one line in one very small post, I forget where, I saw what turned out to fix my problem.... If your router can select what channel to broadcast on manually, try a different channel.

Routinely, wireless routers will use channel 1 as default when you start up, from what I've been told. If you are in an area with a lot of Wireless routers, these routers will conflict with each others signal causing disconnects as have been described here.

If your router supports changing the broadcast signal manually give that a try. It worked for me. Hope it works for you.
    There have been many threads on this issue (I've read em all), no clear fixes aside from turn wifi off and then back on or buy a new router and cross your fingers. Sometimes some routers work, sometimes they don't. My pre3 and 2 touchpads have issues with my linksys wrt160n. They all work fine everywhere else we've tried them.

You all seem pretty smurt when it comes to this here networky thingy. Please post if you gets it to work. I would be willing to donate, and I'm sure others will too. This is a big, common, issue.
    again fyi my router is a netgear which has been fine. dg834g which pretty cheap.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by piperdr2 View Post
    That's always a good place to look, but I don't think that's my problem. On my home network I run two internal DNS servers/resolvers that all of my wired and wireless clients access. So a problem in DNS hitting one website from the Touchpad would affect all of my other clients going to the same website.

That's saying nothing for the smartphone wifi hotspot issue also. That could also be a DNS issue, but I can guarantee that if I tether both my netbook and my Touchpad at the same time, then the netbook will happily surf websites while the Touchpad will be stuck in limbo.

Right now I'm considering this problem to be a intriguing challenge - I'm not giving up on the Touchpad yet.
    Check the DNS addresses set in the TP for the wifi networks you're having trouble with. Because you can manually set the DNS addresses on your TP, they can actually be different from the ones you have set on your router.
    FWIW, all of the people with older Linksys routers that are experiencing problems need to look into DD-WRT. It's a really nice open source firmware. Several people that were experiencing problems switched to DD-WRT and the problems went away. I've used it on my Linksys WRT150N for a few years and it's a nice upgrade.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast