Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Or Tomato, if it's supported on the hardware, not nearly as many supported router models.
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    Or Tomato, if it's supported on the hardware, not nearly as many supported router models.
    We bought 2 of the TP's and both of them had dropping issues on my Dlink 655. Tried a firmware upgrade which helped a little. None of my other devices had any issue with this router.
    I figured I would give the Cisco E4200 a shot and I have not lost a connection since.
    I realize there may be two separate issues here - a) no Internet via Wi-Fi, Intranet ok; b) Data flow via WiFi signal getting stuck altogether. Then again, it may be the same as it seems everyone other than piperdr2 here only uses Internet. Not many people run their own servers / Intranet solutions, so all they see is WiFi getting stuck, they may never know whether it'd flow better from a local server.

As for me, I have the exact same problem as midmofan. I've tried downloading Navit map files for CA (298 MB) about 20 times. It always gets stuck at some point, never completes. Still don't have them. Watching YouTube is a PITA as any clip longer than about a minute will get stuck and you have to move the progress slider pointer a bit to get it buffering again. Websites get stuck just after starting to load with the blue progress bar on top about an inch in. Man, the spot of the Reload icon on the screen is starting to wear out from excessive tapping reload, reload, reload! (j/k)

The same wifi connection works like a charm on a white MacBook and a Macbook Pro. Unfortunately, I have no access to the router as it is provided by a, ahem, generous neighbor in my apartment complex. I have cabled DSL to a desktop (my main device) and "borrow" the neighbor's signal with mobile devices. Was thinking about getting my own WLAN router, but am worried adding to the 15+ networks already swirling around here may not be as smooth as hoped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shillelagh View Post
    We bought 2 of the TP's and both of them had dropping issues on my Dlink 655. Tried a firmware upgrade which helped a little. None of my other devices had any issue with this router.
    I figured I would give the Cisco E4200 a shot and I have not lost a connection since.
    Think I read you post about this before, are you using the stock Linksys firmware then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shillelagh View Post
    I messed around with my D-Link 615 and have had rock solid connection since. Not at home so I can't remember what I did, there is a thread from a few months back about D-Link routers, multiple people fixing connection with 615s using specific settings.

Might be some good info for you too, my 615 is OLD, I think Rev A, haven't had a firmware update available for YEARS. Running D-Link firmware too, to be specific.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ts-router.html
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Well I didn't get very far with my iptables adventures. I can definitely see that the TCP MSS has been adjusted due to my efforts, but a WireShark trace is still showing a bunch of retransmissions and lost segments occurring around the time that pages freeze or slow down.

Not having a whole lot of time to sort this out, I've instead resorted to setting up an instance of Apache to use as a proxy server. And of course my browsing is now lightning fast on the TouchPad. Which, again, just reiterates that the problem isn't with the WiFi connection nut rather some nuance at layer 3 or 4, either in the TP or the router.

Obviously the proxy server won't resolve my smartphone-tethering issue, but something is better than nothing at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    Think I read you post about this before, are you using the stock Linksys firmware then?
    I am. Everything worked like charm out of the box.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daylater View Post
    In my router settings under "Advanced Wireless" I changed:

Beacon Period to - 75
    RTS Threshold to - 2304
    Fragmentation Threshold to - 2304

I had similar issues. I have a different router, some cheapass Sitecom N router. After 2 days with these new settings I haven't had any issues so for. So I'm starting to hope that this really fixed it.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    So my forward proxy has been working well, but I wasn't satisfied.

To that end I did some more digging, and arrived at TCP Window Scaling as the possible culprit. Apparently some routers have issues with anything except a scaling factor of 0.

So I tried the following:

sysctl -w "net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling=0"

...and that has seemed to resolve my problem. Internet access seems to be snappy over both my home WiFi network as well as my smartphone WiFi hotspot. In fact I'm posting now from the TouchPad using the smartphone hotspot.

To make the change permanent, I did the following:

echo "net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling=0" >>/etc/sysctl.conf

That file did not previously exist, so I probably didn't need to use the append pipe.

If this turns out to be THE fix, I'll look into changing this thread title to include "[SOLVED]".
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    great info. where do you make this entry?

my wifi works great, but lately I have had some web page freezes / slowing down. (cisco e3000 wireless router)

also, hotspot is iffy on HTC Touch Pro2 with Android Froyo 2.2 7.1 and on Mot Triumph it can't keep a connection with cyanogenmod 7.0. Don't know if this is related issue or not.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dgf2002 View Post
    great info. where do you make this entry?

my wifi works great, but lately I have had some web page freezes / slowing down. (cisco e3000 wireless router)

also, hotspot is iffy on HTC Touch Pro2 with Android Froyo 2.2 7.1 and on Mot Triumph it can't keep a connection with cyanogenmod 7.0. Don't know if this is related issue or not.
    Hi,

I used Novacom to enter all commands.

Performance is still good, I'm cautiously optimistic!
    piperdr2,
    I think you may have something here..

Tried you're fix, and I've been holding steady now with good performance for almost the last 24 hours with no disconnects. That's a miracle. It hasn't been long enough - nor have my tests been systematic enough for me to say with confidence..but all signs are looking like this is the brass ring.

The lack of steadyWiFi on my TP, has driven me nuts for months and I could never find a cure despite patches and moving things around and even upgrading firmwares. I just gave up and hooked up a dedicated router and subnetwork that I could and did power cycle at a moments notice (Linksys WRT54GS(v5) w/dd-wrt firmware). Last night while trying to read thru Zite, I kept dropping mid flight. Got really angry and decided to see if I could fix again. Decided to shotgun it with this fix and a TP reboot. Really happy with the results so far.

Anybody else with some positive results?
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DoobieDoo View Post
    piperdr2,
    I think you may have something here..

Tried you're fix, and I've been holding steady now with good performance for almost the last 24 hours with no disconnects.
    Awesome news! I was hoping that I could help at least one other person - hopefully your positive result holds.

For my part I can say that it's a night and day difference. I understand the nature of the problem now after digging into it for a day or so at work - for a related problem involving Chrome on Windows 7. That got me thinking about the TP problem again, and the fix I proposed is in-line with reports I read concerning window scaling problems in general.

I did confirm that my router can't run the latest Cisco IOS, but even if it could, I really wanted to solve the similar smartphone tethering problem, and have a little more confidence that I could use somebody else's WiFi (public, hotel, friend,etc.) and not have issues. That meant fixing the problem on the TP vs. making a special effort to run "compatible" network gear.

I'd also really love to hear if this has solved the problems for anybody else. I will admit to getting an occasional "No internet connection is available" message, but this was happening even with my Apache forward proxy. I think the TP may have less-than-stellar WiFi performance. Nonetheless that particular error seems to be transient and relatively infrequent, not nearly as much of an issue as pages refusing to load at all.
    Happy New Year and thanks for researching this issue. I am also having simular issues that seem to be getting progressively worse. I would like to make the tweaks that you have suggested, however; I'm a bit of a novice at this and have a question. I see that you advised to make the changes in Novacom. I seem to recall using Novacom for my initial preware install, do I need to connect my TP to my pc using the usb mode to do this. Any specific instructions on how to get started with this would me most appreciated. Thanks again for your help.
    will admit to getting an occasional "No internet connection is available" message
    Happened to me twice.. but w/ one further tweak - (Beacon Period set to 25), the TP seems to pick up a connection on it's own quickly. Even after a restart! It used to be that after I re-started, I would have to to re-establish a connection again, by flicking the WiFi on/off, 2 to 5 times. Now it just picks up, by itself. Maybe time to try and integrate back to a single wireless network again..
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    I seem to recall using Novacom for my initial preware install, do I need to connect my TP to my pc using the usb mode to do this.
    Wm, I ran it as a Linux command line. Not ever sure that was even the correct way to do it, but whatever I did, I got a good result, so no complaints. Essentially, I connected the TP to my desktop and used the "other" mode, aka "just charge". I then ran the WebOSQuickInstall java app and went to the menu option, Tools\Linux CommandLine. My experience with Linux is more than limited, but I think I ran a ls or pwd cmd to just see where I was in the file dir and then pasted in the line from pipedr and hit the enter key. That was it, plus a physical reboot to be on the safe side. Alternatively, I know there are shell/terminal apps that will let you do the same thing from the TP itself. It sounds alot worse than it really is. Oh yeah, I backed up first - just because you gotta figure anytime you make a cmd line change, there is a chance to do evil to you're tab - and you should be prepared to visit the Doctor..YMMV.
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Gone to digital heaven:
    ..Palm Pilot M100
    ..HandSpring Visor
    ..Kyocera 6035
    ..Treo 600/755
    ..Centro
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Either method works. As long as you can get a Linux shell then you can enter the commands above in that shell.

The important command is the second one, which adds the option to /etc/sysctl.conf. The option is then loaded on each device restart.
    Doobie and piper....thanks for the extra instructions, I will give it a try.
    no wifi problems here (3 TP's for several months ) - netgear WNDR3700 with WPA2.

Seems the reported problems in this thread are with Linksys and TP? (maybe this will help with debugging issue).
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    FWIW, all of the people with older Linksys routers that are experiencing problems need to look into DD-WRT. It's a really nice open source firmware. Several people that were experiencing problems switched to DD-WRT and the problems went away. I've used it on my Linksys WRT150N for a few years and it's a nice upgrade.
    Definitely!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast