1.    #1  
    Apologies right off the bat but I am about to shatter my 16GB Wi-Fi TouchPad. Can anyone tell me if I can activate and use this device without giving ANY private information to HP Corp.? It is not a demo device, just purchased it in Europe. I just want to hack it right out of the box, if possible. I just pressed power and volume up, got a big USB sign in the center of the tablet and can neither switch it off nor make MacOS 10.6 see it. I am currently outside the US. Any help much appreciated
    Well.. 'Big Brother' requires an 'email address' and a 'name' in order to open a Palm Account for the machine, as far as I am aware.
    There may be some threads here about circumventing this 'first use' prceedure.
    Try pressing both 'Power' & 'Home' buttons until it reboots.. hopefully!
    'NO'.. don't shatter it! Give it to someone who will appreciate it instead!

3.    #3  
    Of course I shan't shatter it, waited too long to get my hands on one. Thanks for your reply. Btw, saw them on Amazon today for well below 300 bucks.
    Didn't really think you would!
    Did it reboot OK?

They sell locally here on craigslist for $180-200, great deals. I had activation issues with the server, but after i clicked "next" a dozen times it eventually worked.