Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1.    #1  
    Finally, after owning my favorite red screen of death software for a month, my prayers to the WebOS gods have paid off: At 11 last night I received a notification that my Touchpad had software updates. I expected what had been my weekly Video Flood patch, and was not disappointed, but what else I saw set my heart racing. An update? Of Picsel Smart Office? Could it be? And it was.

The download bar crawled across the center of my landscaped screen as I drummed my fingers on the back of the case. The little blue thermometer grew longer and longer until, at last, success!

I opened the program, crossing fingers and toes. Seconds passed slowly, but my patience was rewarded with that beautiful splashscreen. I hungrily tapped around for five minutes then retired for the evening, dreaming happy dreams about how much I love WebOS, despite its flaws.
    Last edited by mrhargett; 11/29/2011 at 11:50 PM.
    cujoq37 and BorkZorkOrc like this.
    Does it support copy and paste now? If it does, I'll probably buy it.
    does it work now offline? even with wifi connection disabled?
    it does work offline now. At least for many ppl.
    Does it support copy and paste now? If it does, I'll probably buy it.

Internally yes (you can cut/copy/paste within a document), but it does not support the system clipboard used by everything else. The description says it does, but it doesn't.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
  6.    #6  
    Offline - Yes. I put my TP in Airplane mode and it loaded and worked just fine.

Cut/Copy and Paste - Yes. I double-tapped a word to select it, expanded my selection then clicked the "Cut/Paste" icon and was able to choose to either "Copy" or "Cut" the text and then "Paste" it, but only into Smart Office. I was unable to paste it into a QuickOffice document.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhargett View Post
    Offline - Yes. I put my TP in Airplane mode and it loaded and worked just fine.

Cut/Copy and Paste - Yes. I double-tapped a word to select it, expanded my selection then clicked the "Cut/Paste" icon and was able to choose to either "Copy" or "Cut" the text and then "Paste" it, but only into Smart Office. I was unable to paste it into a QuickOffice document.
    I didn't realize this limitation when I first posted but have since learned of it, would be nice if picsel addressed this.
    I like the program, but there are 6 things that make me use my laptop instead:

1 - No auto-correct.
    2 - No word wrap.
    3 - Copy and paste beyond just the document upon which you are working.
    4 - Not being able to use bluetooth keyboard arrow keys.
    5 - Have multiple documents open at once.
    6 - No repeat (when I want to delete something, I can't just hold down the "Backspace" button).

I REALLY want to use this program more - Picsel, please hurry and get these things taken care of!
    maleoutkast likes this.
    I thought the word wrap was reported to be fixed? And don't forget lack of a print function, at least as far as I can tell. And acrobat files seem to be limited, many of mine are too large to load or show up as a negative image if they do load, problems quick office doesn't have.
    One question about the pdf support: Does Picsel Smart Office use this arservice like the standard acrobat reader? Or does it render the pdfs differently?
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    It rescales so much faster, I think it unlikely that it is using the same service.
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    IMHO the most important thing to improve is editing Excel sheets. Formatting works quite well, but usually I have to enter a lot of data. In the current version I have to use too many "clicks" for being able to edit a cell's value. This is unusable right now.
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    stumblinh and BorkZorkOrc like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Pad View Post
    IMHO the most important thing to improve is editing Excel sheets. Formatting works quite well, but usually I have to enter a lot of data. In the current version I have to use too many "clicks" for being able to edit a cell's value. This is unusable right now.
    +1, when you tap a cell it should go straight to entry, a number kb pops up that is similar to a normal number pad with a few extras like arrows, tab, parenthesis etc.. highly used formula items, but in its current form it's totally a waste. If it's easier even a kb with less height and options but using the basic form with an arrow to expand (make taller) to have the entire kb. The worst excel app I've ever used in the last two decades! As a simple viewer it works fine other than no support for sorting.

It would be nice to support basic sorting and basic macro's too.. but I'm sure macro's are wishful thinking.. the rest should be quite do'able.
    T-Pad likes this.
    I really hadn't thought about doing a lot of data entry on the touchpad, mostly just accessing spreadsheets. And good thing I guess, since data entry with smart office is really not designed for it. I agree with the above comments about easing data entry. Sorting would also be nice and support for the keyboard arrow keys. Not sure how likely it is for Picsel to support this but would be very nice.
    I bought Picsel to support the dev and to help show sales for webOS but I have absolutely no use for it. I get "Out of Memory" errors on 40 and 50 page business requirements documents and 200+ page software manuals are so slow as to be unusable.

I mean no "jump to page" option?? You have to scroll through the (admittedly cool) laggy "Docu-flow" screen. When I need a software function, I need to go DIRECTLY to those pages. The Adobe reader does this flawlessly.

QO will remain my tool for Word and Excel but I'll keeo PSO for the ppt files I need every now and then
    maleoutkast likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    I bought Picsel to support the dev and to help show sales for webOS but I have absolutely no use for it. I get "Out of Memory" errors on 40 and 50 page business requirements documents and 200+ page software manuals are so slow as to be unusable.

I mean no "jump to page" option?? You have to scroll through the (admittedly cool) laggy "Docu-flow" screen. When I need a software function, I need to go DIRECTLY to those pages. The Adobe reader does this flawlessly.

QO will remain my tool for Word and Excel but I'll keeo PSO for the ppt files I need every now and then
    You pays your money and take your chances I guess. For now use the best of each app and hope for improvements.
    Congrats to the OP for being lucky enough to get a working app from Picsel's update.

Katie (one of the not-so-lucky ones)
    Sorry to hear it. Picsel seem to understand the issue but not able to implement a 100% fix without HP doing it's part. Wish I could wrap my head around the reason why some folks don't benefit from the latest release. Just not enough info out there and chances are I might not understand it if there were. Good luck, hope things change for the better or you at least get a refund if not.
    i bought it hoping to see filtering because we work with big task lists and filtering for status and sub-project columns was what i was/am now hoping for, plus easier editing as everyone has said.

From the word side, we absolutely need cut/copy/paste between picsel and other apps in both directions is an absolute must.
    Agree it's silly not to be able to cut/copy/paste between smart office and other apps. Considering the list of basic stuff that needs improvement, filtering seems far off but I'd love to be proved wrong.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast