Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Zen00
  • 1 Post By gamtab
  • 1 Post By LurkerX
  1.    #1  
    Not smashed in the drunk sense, my two year old put his foot through the screen of my 32Gb Touchpad. Bit upset about that. I bought it in France from FNAC during the fire sales, and I have an address here.

I assume I need to start some sort of out of warranty repair, but the HP website doesn't seem to list a French number. It recognizes the serial number etc. I'm originally from the UK, I guess I could call there, but it would be cheaper to ship within France. Not really sure what to do....

I'm also worried that the screen, even if they have one, will cost more to repair than just chucking it in the bin and buying another one, even at inflated eBay prices....

Has anyone had this repair done, and know how much it costs, roughly? Also, is a wild 1 in a million shot, is there anyone here in France who knows who I'm supposed to contact?

Many thanks.
    I would start by using a PC ti visit the palm.com support site and open a live chat session to ask them for contact info.
  3.    #3  
    I'll give that a shot tomorrow, cheers. Crapping myself because I'll have to do all this in French. I'm OK face to face, but phone and typing is another matter entirely.... sob.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    best luck mate, google translate and your best accent are your best friend.

I know they have dedicated local number for a callcenter somewhere... I got a Belgian number for it, so certainly must have a French one.
    HP Pre 3 not capable to display names of people calling in
    Touchpad with cracked case
    A toddler putting his foot through a TouchPad is not covered under warranty repair unless you have bought the extended accident protection optional coverage offered by your retailer.

If you have not please do not contact HP about warranty repairs as you do not qualify.
    Down with the BourgeoisOS oppressors, webOS users unite!
    denimadept likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    A toddler putting his foot through a TouchPad is not covered under warranty repair unless you have bought the extended accident protection optional coverage offered by your retailer.

If you have not please do not contact HP about warranty repairs as you do not qualify.
    He didn't say that he was trying to get it repaired under warranty. He specifically mentioned out of warranty repair and was asking if anyone knew about costs. It doesn't sound like he's trying to game the system or anything, just wants to get his Touchpad fixed.
    getting the screen repaired will be expensive (couple of hundred $)...personally I would buy a replacement off ebay...then wipe the data off your broken one and list it on ebay for parts/repair to off set the cost of your replacement...
    pre4 likes this.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    My guess is buying one off of ebay will be cheaper than what HP will charge to repair it.

If yours just has a busted screen, you may recoup some of your money by parting out the rest of it after you get your new one. I saw at least one person on the forums looking for a replacement battery, and others with cracked cases might buy the plastic case off of you. As for the guts, some hacker with a 16 might want to upgrade their internals to the 32.
    Last edited by LurkerX; 11/29/2011 at 12:47 AM.
    Global Posts
    4,378 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gamtab View Post
    getting the screen repaired will be expensive (couple of hundred $)...personally I would buy a replacement off ebay...then wipe the data off your broken one and list it on ebay for parts/repair to off set the cost of your replacement...
    this is the best advice on this thread.
  10.    #10  
    Actually, looking at it, the screen still works, it's the glass (?) bit that is shattered. So I guess I perhaps need a new case rather than the LCD screen itself? Or are the two one and the same thing?
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Looks like you could separate them. I don't think they bothered in the teardown, but I haven't looked through it thoroughly.

Cracking Open the HP TouchPad | TechRepublic
    denimadept likes this.
    Hi,
    For France you may call +33 1 43 62 34 07 business hours ; this is contact for HW repair out of warranty (to be charged to Customer).
    I understood you are not fluent French speaking , you can try to speak in English anyway if you are lucky to talk to English speaking SD agent...
  13.    #13  
    20 minutes on the phone to a very nice French lady who didn't speak English, but we got there in the end.

Looks like 181 euros for the repair. I'm torn on what to do now. Buy another one, put a screen protector on the old one and just let the kids use it?
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalcade View Post
    Buy another one, put a screen protector on the old one and just let the kids use it?
    Is it actually responding to touch still? I cracked the digitizer on my Pixi, so it wouldn't respond to touch at all.

If it's still responding to touch, and you don't think shards of glass will break through the screen protector to harm your children (if nothing is sticking out yet, a screen protector will probably do the job well enough), I think that sounds like a good plan. I suppose I don't know how the eBay or similar prices are for TouchPads in France though...
    Quote Originally Posted by cavalcade View Post
    Not smashed in the drunk sense.
    Shame that, it would have made an interesting thread