Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1.    #1  
    Has anybody looked to see if the HP Touchpad too has CarrierIQ or such "rootkits" pre-installed ?
    The Rootkit Of All Evil CIQ | xda-developers

BTW, homebrew Impostah seems to make available a lot of system info etc.
    How does one make the best use of Impostah ?

Also, is there anti-virus / anti-malware apps available for TP? Thanks.
    Shows that "nothing is free", while people think they are getting this free Android software on their phone, no one put to the consumer directly--would you hand over your information in exchange for this (free) software?
    no reason to have antivirus software for webOS
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    One could argue that HP's overzealous use of system logging is similar to a rootkit
    Look at (@ 1:05 minutes).....would appear that it is on our devices too.
    VoltaicShock likes this.
    RT @Korey_Nicholson: @webosinternals @hp @webosdev @verge They are a client yes. I'm the one who conducted the interview with Andrew Coward
    for webOS? Or for their windows tablets?

wow: video shows TouchPad and two phones: Pre3 and Pre2?

And HP technical support still had alot of trouble fixing my TouchPad. The video says the consumer has to opt-in. Where is the opt-in for webOS? Is it in the Palm agreement or the app catalogue agreement?
    Last edited by bluenote; 11/29/2011 at 09:42 PM.
    The consumer "opts in" without ever realizing it because it's generally buried in a contract or agreement in fine print.
    Quote Originally Posted by independent1
    The consumer "opts in" without ever realizing it because it's generally buried in a contract or agreement in fine print.
    That's right.

3:56 - "...they gain this permission through service agreements..."
    4:01 - contains user-identifiable info. Sweet!

Ok, so how do we kill this monster?
    Last edited by p41m3r; 11/30/2011 at 01:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
    That's right.

3:56 - "...they gain this permission through service agreements..."
    4:01 - contains user-identifiable info. Sweet!

Ok, so how do we kill this monster?
    It's dying anyway!
    Just be aware of what you 'back-up' and where.. and what Accs. you 'sync' to what other Accs?
    Clean out your Log files and frequently reset to 'Min Logging' etc?
    Disable your Android 'identifier'?
    Empty your Email 'trash' from both client & server?
    Opt out of 'Location Services'?

Sorry I don't understand, is there CIQ logging on webOS or no ? Or nobody knows?
    If you like my applications (SynoMusic, SynoDM, SynoFM) and want to donate for future upgrades and development
    Why?

So nobody will ever develop virus/malware for webos? How can you be so sure?

Have you ever seen your touchpad displaying this message?
    "Touchinput recording, press sym+opt+w to stop"

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    no reason to have antivirus software for webOS
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Shows that "nothing is free", while people think they are getting this free Android software on their phone, no one put to the consumer directly--would you hand over your information in exchange for this (free) software?
    bluenote,

You may have missed a few things...

1. Carrier IQ software is not installed by end-users but rather embedded in the various manufacturers firmware specific for the U.S. carriers. Only U.S. carrier subscribers have found to be targeted. Verizon has denied any use of Carrier IQ software.

2. Google has not implemented the Carrier IQ software in the vanilla Android and it has not been the case with those "reference" devices directly partnered with Google e.g. Nexus One, Nexus S, Motorola Xoom, Galaxy Nexus.

3. Carrier IQ references have also been discovered in Apple iOS (verified http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...1284749&page=2 ), Nokia Symbian (denied http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/1/26...sed-carrier-iq ) and BlackBerry OS (denied http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7B01PA20111201 )according to TrevE.

4. There are no up front opt-in / opt-out opportunities, no straight-forward uninstall mechanism is available as described by TrevE and others.

Of course, by offering an opt-out for collecting our usage patterns and data, many will protect the privacy rather.
    Last edited by howi; 12/01/2011 at 11:22 AM.
    I did a quick scan through the webOS tarball for the Pre3 and did not find anything. Just to be sure, I have updated the Max Blocker patch to block any traffic to carrieriq.com

That said, Palm logs an ENORMOUS amount of information which is uploaded to palm.com which is yet another good reason why you should install the following

- Muffle
    - EOM
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/warthogkernel

Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

Donations go towards further experimentation.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Millions of Smartphones and Tablets have a Rootkit Spyware Software called CarrierIQ installed.

Of course its a good question if WebOS Devices are also affected.

If yes it would be fantastic if some experienced user can make a patch to eliminate this Spyware.

CarrierIQ | Android Security Test
    the site is under heavy load so try again and again and ...
    Last edited by thomaz; 12/01/2011 at 10:53 AM.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Sorry I don't understand, is there CIQ logging on webOS or no ? Or nobody knows?
    so where is a CLEAR ANSWER to this question ?

and if yes how can i disable it ?
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    yeahh but there is no clear answer
    There is no carrierIQ in webOS
    Last edited by bhern; 12/01/2011 at 02:13 PM.
    Quadrant before disable CarrieIQ in one Android here: 3427.
    Quadrant after disable CarrieIQ in same Android here: 4593.

Finally, discovered the #*5647# on Androids...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by thomaz View Post
    so where is a CLEAR ANSWER to this question ?
    Frustrating! If the answer is no, (1:05 - 1:10)?

Quote Originally Posted by Rnp
    Finally, discovered the #*5647# on Androids...
    Thats it? Would something at this (presumably) low level be this easily bypassed?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast