Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cantaffordit
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    This is especially annoying when surfing the web. It would be nice to be able to open a link in a new window and have it load while continuing to read from the original page.

I am sure there are many other users out there who are frustrated by this limitation so
    I'm wondering if this is something that can be patched.
    this is a well known and annoying bug. It doesn't work that way on my pre2. Hopefully they will fix it.
    kill_dano likes this.
    It actually seems to load as background, but doesn't update in the minimized card.

Or maybe I don't have enough cards open at once?

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    yes doesn't work on default browser. try advanced browser loading will happen even if browser is minimize.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by ramnathn View Post
    yes doesn't work on default browser. try advanced browser loading will happen even if browser is minimize.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk
    Can someone else (not that I don't believe you verify this? It would be nice if this feature exists.
    you need to give the webview a moment in the foreground for it to start loading, otherwise it will just stay paused. Annoying. Very annoying.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by next_milenium View Post
    Can someone else (not that I don't believe you verify this? It would be nice if this feature exists.
    Advanced Browser has the same same issue. If you open a link in a new card it will not load the page unless you maximize that card for a moment.

It's a non-issue for me because I usually open links in new tabs... If you select the "open tabs in background" option Advanced browser will force you to view the new tab just long enough to trigger the loading and then it intermediately sends you to your original tab while the new one loads in the background.
    Quote Originally Posted by dan-o View Post
    This is especially annoying when surfing the web. It would be nice to be able to open a link in a new window and have it load while continuing to read from the original page.

I am sure there are many other users out there who are frustrated by this limitation so
    I'm wondering if this is something that can be patched.
    This was just another in the long list of webOS functionality and features removed by the geniuses at HP, in their endeavor to make webOS just like the other OSes.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Well, fact of the matter is, it's a performance optimization. The web browser doesn't load new locations when it's not visible, and it doesn't draw anything new when it's not visible. Unfortunately, there's not really a way around it without building your own complete web browser, using the one built into the system will have that problem. Maybe it'll get changed in an update.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Urh? It works for me, why not anyone else?

I DOES load the page, it just doesn't update the graphics on screen. So load lots of pages as you say, and then as you open them, there is a second or so delay while webos renders the graphics. The page IS downloaded from the web in the background.

This also works for flash and video, the audio but not the video is updated in card view. So you can listen to music from youtube while doing other things for instance

Honestly, just try it. It works. Disconnect from the net between loading and viewing if you want

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    The multitask works on the browser even it minimized. But it is surely have bug which need to be fix.

Tips: if you open new windows, wait for several second till the progress bar around 25-30% then you can leave it minimized or open other windows. If you open new window and then leave it minimized without wait it load a bit, it will stop/wait. This is not happened on WebOS 2.2 on Pre3, but happened on TouchPad WebOS 3.x. So I conclude this as a bug.

As additional info , when window/page in minimized state, the card view not always refreshed, it looks like still in blank white screen, but once you maximized it, the page already loaded.
    Andyf,

"Open In New Card" -> wait 5 seconds -> "Turn Wifi Off" -> Switch to new card -> "No Internet Connection."

If you write a program that has a webview, and launch that webview hidden, and watch the logs, you can see that the web view component is halted at it's first URL change, if it's not in view. If you make it visible for one tick, then hide it again, it will load.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    not true open up the clock app ,set it to analog then minimise it and you will see that it is still running, now with that said for some reason web pages don't load when minimised ,although if you are watching a flash video and minimise it, it will continue to play

so it does multitask ,it just doesn't load multiple web pages at once

with the clock app minimised and another app opened then minimised, the second hand will move about every ten seconds or so
    Last edited by hammer_420; 11/29/2011 at 12:39 PM.
    If I play a video and then minimize it, it might not be updating the card view but it still continues to play. If I play a 10 minute video, minimize if and come back in 9 minutes, it's at 9 minutes. Not that it's of any value...
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    It's a non-issue for me because I usually open links in new tabs... If you select the "open tabs in background" option Advanced browser will force you to view the new tab just long enough to trigger the loading and then it intermediately sends you to your original tab while the new one loads in the background.
    Same here, use advanced browser with multiple tabs no problem, will even keep my fantasy tracking up to date for 3 different leagues on Sunday.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...