Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By DanPLC
  • 1 Post By dignitary
  1.    #1  
    what do you like and dislike about the TP? what are your favorite features?
    I like the fact that it's comparable to the iPad and Android tablets I've tried in stores but cost me half as much :-)

I really like the cards system and flicking them away feels so natural. So much so that I now find myself trying to flick browser pages away on my iPhone and wondering why it isn't working.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Pros:

WebOS it its entirety
    Touchstone
    Strong Homebrew Community
    Ability to install Android when they turn the servers off (see below)

Cons:

Apps, Apps, Apps
    Lack of further support from HP
    No long-term future from a hardware or software platform perspective

For me, it will be a drive-it-til-the-wheels-fall-off thing and then an installation of ICS.
    Pros:
    I find it the closest thing to a replacement to my computer
    It is very very quick now (especially when compared to the garbage Honeycomb tablets) with the latest update and overclocking to 1.5ghz
    Good conversation starter

Cons:
    everything mentioned above
    wish the PDF reader had more features like note taking
    with the new update, the sound occasionally gets messed up
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Pros:
    the OS's usability is great
    Touchstone
    Synergy
    Homebrew Community

Cons:
    PDF reader
    web browser
    missing Angry Birds updates
    Apps (although I nearly have everything I need)
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    Pros:
    - I didn't pay anywhere near what an ipad goes for ($500 to $750 - SUCKERS!!!!). My first one was free, 2nd was was for $150.
    - webOS is probably the easiest to use tablet OS.
    - The Touchstone is awesome.
    - Ability to load Android on it (can't do that with an ipad).

Cons:
    - The ability to load Android on it pretty much made all the cons disappear.

I'm going to drive my Touchpads into the ground before I buy another tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by jblather View Post

i'm going to drive my touchpads into the ground before i buy another tablet.
    word !!!!
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Pro -
    Same price as a kindle/nook but does way more
    Great manga reader
    Great portable video watcher
    Good for web surfing in bed
    Multitasking

Con -
    Web browser has some quirks, but I can live with them
    I originally picked up my TouchPad as a dev device, but wanted to use it for recreation as well. However I found that I wasn't using it as much due to some of its deficiencies. So let me list the cons first:

- Too bulky: I've realized that I've been using my phone (a 4.3" device) more often than my TouchPad simply because it's easier to hold and handle. The TouchPad's larger screen is nicer for browsing and other tasks; however it's just too heavy and bulky to use comfortably for an extended period of time.

- Apps: There are some great apps on the TouchPad; however there are a bunch of apps that are missing for my needs. There are all the standard ones that everyone lists (Netflix, Words with Friends, etc.); however a big one for me is the lack of children's apps. One of the things I've wanted to use my tablet for is to play with my 2-year old daughter. This includes reading interactive books, painting apps, musical instrument apps, etc. I've come to realize that there just aren't many options on the TouchPad.

Lagginess, Quirks, Bugs: The UI is not as fluid and smooth as it could be. Also my particular unit seems to have a lot of touchscreen issues (taps not registered in certain parts of the screen).

The TouchPad does have some pros though:

- webOS: Very comfortable UI for tablets. If developed more, it could have been a real contender. However its future is kind of in limbo right now.

- Price: If you got the device at the firesale price, it's a great deal for what you're getting.

However the cons for me have outweighed the pros. As a result, I just ordered the Galaxy Tab 8.9. The size is perfect for me. It's super-thin and lightweight yet has a nicely-sized screen. Plus there are tons of apps out there to keep me and my daughter busy.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    dignitary likes this.
    I originally purchased a touchpad because it was cheap and I wanted to see if I really needed a tablet. I don't know if I need one but I do use it a lot. Best thing about my touchpad is that I have android running on it. When I originally installed CM7 I told myself I would go back and forth to webos when needed, sadly since the day of install I have yet to go back. I will also be driving this thing into the ground.
    Pros:
    Outlandishly cheap price
    Decent multitasking; the OS has a good feel for a tablet
    The screen makes photos look better than on the computer
    Nice for watching video on
    With a command line and various utilities, it's more like my computer than my iPod, so I can do things I couldn't do on an iPad
    Ability to run Flash websites

Cons:
    A bit heavy
    Occasional lags
    Oddball browser isn't supported by many websites, and can't change user agent setting
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    It's very convenient for travel, and easy to take around the house if I don't feel like sitting at my desk. The laptop is much more trouble. Esepcially with the Touchstone, the tablet is effortless.

I like WebOS a lot. I'm still torn on whether a tablet makes more sense than a netbook. Probably not. I like a real keyboard.
    Pros:
    Does most things that I can do on my desktop.
    Allows me to print on my HP c310a printer.
    Dual boot system with Cyanogenmod 7 Alpha 3; more apps.
    Great display.
    Great bluetooth keyboard.
    I just ordered the Touchstone charger.
    Overclock options.

Cons:
    A bit heavy.
    Slow boot-1 min 15 sec

All of the other things mentioned as cons haven't bothered me. I have genuinely enjoyed using it.
    Last edited by old_geekster; 11/28/2011 at 11:29 PM.
    **Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!**

• As a top contributor to the HP Consumer Support Forums, HP provides me access to the Tochpad at no charge so I may better respond to the questions raised on the Forum.
    Global Posts
    4,378 Global Posts
    I absolutely love my TP. Despite having Cyanogenmod 7 installed, I still find myself using only webOS.

Heres what I like:
    Great internet device.

Web browser is not the best but renders pages well and gets the job done.

The email client is fantastic. Being an Android user IMO webOS email is superior. I have all my accounts via Microsoft Exchange and get my email instantly.

IMO webOS Multi-tasking is much better than the other platforms hands down.

I liked my TP so much that I got a Pre 3 and absolutely love the blue tooth connectivity which allows you to answer text messages and calls while on your TP. This right here makes it all worthwhile.

Where is falls short:
    Lack of apps
    A little heavy
    Flash content can be a little wonky

Overall this is the best $150 I have spent. My TP keep me away from my Laptop and even my smartphone. I take it with me everywhere and I absolutely love it. I can't imaging not having one. I'm so happy to be a webOS fan and sad to see that such a great platform has reached a dead end.
    HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    HP Touchpad
    Pro's:
    WebOS is pretty easy to use.
    Plenty of neat apps to play with.
    Screen and battery are nice.
    Price is really low, I just bought it for $150 new old stock luck it seems. Any other tablet in this price range is a knock-off 7" POS with low cpu/ram/storage, and I shopped like crazy on black friday for one.

Con's:
    I had an ipad first, and to date nothing has been nearly as easy and friendly out of the box as that ipad, by a long shot
    A bit heavier than my ipad, not a real issue.
    Limited variety in apps, sadly. There's quite a few, but some key ones i'd like are missing, such as a free remote desktop application.
    I have yet to figure out how to stream media from my home computer over the internet to the touchpad. Even on android there's no out of hte box app for this, but there were 3-5 on itunes

I'm far from an apple fan boy, I simply go with what's the absolute best at any given time. But I really wanted to try another tablet to tinker with. Apple has the tablet market by the balls right now, there's no denying it. But when you consider price differences it's a no brainer. A 8-10" android tablet from bestbuy is $480-500, I would never buy it, as an ipad is the same price. However save $300-350, and the touchpad is coming out ahead.
    Global Posts
    1,068 Global Posts
    Pros:
    *General intuitiveness of webOS
    *Good battery life
    *Solid build
    *Limited issues with apps running in the background (actually, I'm not sure if other apps can run in the background once they are swiped off the screen)

Cons:
    *General lack of apps
    *Poor auto-correct spelling functionality
    *Lack of back button in some apps
    *Can be a little tricky to select weblinks (need to be precise with your finger push)
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I originally picked up my TouchPad as a dev device, but wanted to use it for recreation as well. However I found that I wasn't using it as much due to some of its deficiencies. So let me list the cons first:

- Too bulky: I've realized that I've been using my phone (a 4.3" device) more often than my TouchPad simply because it's easier to hold and handle. The TouchPad's larger screen is nicer for browsing and other tasks; however it's just too heavy and bulky to use comfortably for an extended period of time.

- Apps: There are some great apps on the TouchPad; however there are a bunch of apps that are missing for my needs. There are all the standard ones that everyone lists (Netflix, Words with Friends, etc.); however a big one for me is the lack of children's apps. One of the things I've wanted to use my tablet for is to play with my 2-year old daughter. This includes reading interactive books, painting apps, musical instrument apps, etc. I've come to realize that there just aren't many options on the TouchPad.

Lagginess, Quirks, Bugs: The UI is not as fluid and smooth as it could be. Also my particular unit seems to have a lot of touchscreen issues (taps not registered in certain parts of the screen).

The TouchPad does have some pros though:

- webOS: Very comfortable UI for tablets. If developed more, it could have been a real contender. However its future is kind of in limbo right now.

- Price: If you got the device at the firesale price, it's a great deal for what you're getting.

However the cons for me have outweighed the pros. As a result, I just ordered the Galaxy Tab 8.9. The size is perfect for me. It's super-thin and lightweight yet has a nicely-sized screen. Plus there are tons of apps out there to keep me and my daughter busy.
    Really Dan?? No kid Friendly apps? Probably the 2nd or 3rd most filled category on the TPad. Haven't been in the catalog lately? There are TONS of interactive books on the TPad and my 4 & 8 year olds love them. Sesame Street, Dr. Seuss, Bernstein Bears, Little Critter, iStory books, etc.' not including Britannica Kids encyclopedias as well. Can't believe your saying that one.

As far as apps for kids, plenty of Educational apps to help with spelling, match, colors, shapes, etc. Plus, the games like Jump-o-Clock, Castle of Magic, Glyder2, Need for Speed, Shrek Cart, etc.

And for the other guy who's asking about a free RDP app, "Remote Desktop Connection" is $0.99 and capable enough that j use it to support an 800+ server infrastructure. Complaining about a dollar?? Really??
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Really Dan?? No kid Friendly apps? Probably the 2nd or 3rd most filled category on the TPad. Haven't been in the catalog lately? There are TONS of interactive books on the TPad and my 4 & 8 year olds love them. Sesame Street, Dr. Seuss, Bernstein Bears, Little Critter, iStory books, etc.' not including Britannica Kids encyclopedias as well. Can't believe your saying that one.

As far as apps for kids, plenty of Educational apps to help with spelling, match, colors, shapes, etc. Plus, the games like Jump-o-Clock, Castle of Magic, Glyder2, Need for Speed, Shrek Cart, etc.

And for the other guy who's asking about a free RDP app, "Remote Desktop Connection" is $0.99 and capable enough that j use it to support an 800+ server infrastructure. Complaining about a dollar?? Really??
    SmartFah likes this.