Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1.    #1  
    On my TouchPad when I stream video on YouTube etc sometimes the video will freeze for a second then start and maybe 15 to 30 seconds later freeze again for a second. My WiFi at home is wpa2. If I overclock it will it help. Videos I've transfered from my pc play fine. Just one of a couple of pet peeves about my touchpad. I'm actually thinking of selling it when iPad 3 comes out unless the next updates fix some if these issues.
  2.    #2  
    Anyone?
  3. #3  
    Sounds like more of a network issue than a processor issue... you on 'N' or a 'G' speed wireless? I get some studders when it goes to power save but not typically while I'm actively using it.
  4. #4  
    happens to me too. I am OC'd to 1.5, have fios at 35 up and down. Happens a lot when I try to watch a video from the USA Today app.
  5. #5  
    Happens to me at home or at work with two different routers and setups.

    Things that help me are clearing cache, restarting browser.
  6. #6  
    this is a known issue on some routers. My d link dir 655 has this issue but works fine on an old crappy linksys that I have
  7. #7  
    depending on the router type, there are phones and microwaves that can cause interference.

    also, I find stuttering can happen when the touchpad is getting messages in the background or syncing with synergy accounts.
  8. #8  
    videos on the internet stutter. That just.. happens. I don't think I've ever seen a Flash video on any platform ever play start to finish without a single hiccup.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  9. #9  
    Hit the pause button and let it buffer up some more. It that doesn't work then you can rule out the speed of the connection as the problem.
  10. #10  
    It's a network/router issue or could be the DIR-655 not compatible. I used to have the same problem. It was very frustrating and thought that it was the TP hardware issue. I finally realized and nailed down the problem when I visited my brother. His router is old and crummy but my TP works great without the stuttering. What I did to fix the problem was to reset the DIR-655 to wireless security level WPA instead of WPA2 with TKIP instead of AES protocol. I don't know whether it is specific issue with the Dlink DIR-655 or not. After the minor change to the security level, I don't have any issues downloading videos anymore. I hope this helps.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblinh View Post
    Sounds like more of a network issue than a processor issue... you on 'N' or a 'G' speed wireless? I get some studders when it goes to power save but not typically while I'm actively using it.
    I have an apple top of the line router. It is a dual band 2.4 plus 5.8 ghz. I did a test, I watched a video on the vevo app on the iPhone and then the same one on the tp and got the stutter. On the iPhone very smooth, no stuttering at all. I've also tried pausing the the video for about a minute too see if it would help and it did not. Then I asked my sister who has a iPad with a dsl connection to play the same video and it played fine. By the way I have a Comcast high speed Internet connection.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBellThunder View Post
    I have an apple top of the line router. It is a dual band 2.4 plus 5.8 ghz. I did a test, I watched a video on the vevo app on the iPhone and then the same one on the tp and got the stutter. On the iPhone very smooth, no stuttering at all. I've also tried pausing the the video for about a minute too see if it would help and it did not. Then I asked my sister who has a iPad with a dsl connection to play the same video and it played fine. By the way I have a Comcast high speed Internet connection.
    I assume you have 3.0.4 and have done all the usual logging reduction and speed patches with Preware? (see the sticky elsewhere in these forums) Without those patches, the TP can occasionally stutter, but if you've done that you almost certainly have a router/network problem. I use YouTube fine at home, just watched a 20 minute news program without a hiccup, and the TP's hardware is more than up to the task of just streaming some YouTube video - with WPA on, using the FiOS generic wireless router. You definitely do not need to overclock the TP just to watch streaming video.

    Two thoughts - one you are too far away from your router or you are getting intermittent interference in the wireless signal, or two your current security settings in the router are somehow TP unfriendly. Just to see what happens, I'd reconfigure the router with security settings entirely turned off and see whether that works - just open the network entirely. If that fixes it, then you know that is the problem and then you just need to select a different security protocol. Then like the other poster suggested, try WPA instead of WPA2 and there are usually a couple of other choices as well, depending on your router.
    The other thing I would try if the WPA thing doesn't work (and I did this for my xbox when I was having similar issues with latency) is to just give the TP an assigned address and then put it in the DMZ outside the firewall. You really don't have to worry about viruses with the TP, its market share is so small no one will ever pay any attention to it, so it can safely roam the web without protection.

    Good luck.
  13. aliron's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    #13  
    Same on mine, youtube videos stutter from time to time, and they don't stutter on any of my other devices connected to the same wifi router. I have uberkernel 1.5ghz installed. I always figured the flash capabilities on the TP just weren't that good...there are folks out there playing youtube vids on TPs that don't stutter at all?

    Edit: Just placed the TP in the DMZ, no dice. It's not hardcore stuttering, just the video skips a frame every now and again, and seems to happen a bit more in full screen.
    Last edited by aliron; 11/27/2011 at 02:57 PM.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by aliron View Post
    Same on mine, youtube videos stutter from time to time, and they don't stutter on any of my other devices connected to the same wifi router. I have uberkernel 1.5ghz installed. I always figured the flash capabilities on the TP just weren't that good...there are folks out there playing youtube vids on TPs that don't stutter at all?
    No probs.
    1.7Ghz + WPA Wifi - 3.0.4.

    Last edited by Mutoidi; 11/28/2011 at 02:46 AM.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by teamw23 View Post
    I assume you have 3.0.4 and have done all the usual logging reduction and speed patches with Preware? (see the sticky elsewhere in these forums) Without those patches, the TP can occasionally stutter, but if you've done that you almost certainly have a router/network problem. I use YouTube fine at home, just watched a 20 minute news program without a hiccup, and the TP's hardware is more than up to the task of just streaming some YouTube video - with WPA on, using the FiOS generic wireless router. You definitely do not need to overclock the TP just to watch streaming video.

    Two thoughts - one you are too far away from your router or you are getting intermittent interference in the wireless signal, or two your current security settings in the router are somehow TP unfriendly. Just to see what happens, I'd reconfigure the router with security settings entirely turned off and see whether that works - just open the network entirely. If that fixes it, then you know that is the problem and then you just need to select a different security protocol. Then like the other poster suggested, try WPA instead of WPA2 and there are usually a couple of other choices as well, depending on your router.
    The other thing I would try if the WPA thing doesn't work (and I did this for my xbox when I was having similar issues with latency) is to just give the TP an assigned address and then put it in the DMZ outside the firewall. You really don't have to worry about viruses with the TP, its market share is so small no one will ever pay any attention to it, so it can safely roam the web without protection.

    Good luck.
    I've tried watching the same video on my iPhone and my macbook and there was no stuttering. My router is in very next room and on the TP the wifi signsl is strong. I think as others have stated that the TP doesn't always do flash perfectly.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by aliron View Post
    Same on mine, youtube videos stutter from time to time, and they don't stutter on any of my other devices connected to the same wifi router. I have uberkernel 1.5ghz installed. I always figured the flash capabilities on the TP just weren't that good...there are folks out there playing youtube vids on TPs that don't stutter at all?

    Edit: Just placed the TP in the DMZ, no dice. It's not hardcore stuttering, just the video skips a frame every now and again, and seems to happen a bit more in full screen.
    I have the same issues, not a big deal in itself, but with other shortcomings on the TP it is a little upseting. I hope the next update addresses some of these issues, such as indexing in the photo app.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by teamw23 View Post
    I assume you have 3.0.4 and have done all the usual logging reduction and speed patches with Preware? (see the sticky elsewhere in these forums) Without those patches, the TP can occasionally stutter, but if you've done that you almost certainly have a router/network problem. I use YouTube fine at home, just watched a 20 minute news program without a hiccup, and the TP's hardware is more than up to the task of just streaming some YouTube video - with WPA on, using the FiOS generic wireless router. You definitely do not need to overclock the TP just to watch streaming video.

    Two thoughts - one you are too far away from your router or you are getting intermittent interference in the wireless signal, or two your current security settings in the router are somehow TP unfriendly. Just to see what happens, I'd reconfigure the router with security settings entirely turned off and see whether that works - just open the network entirely. If that fixes it, then you know that is the problem and then you just need to select a different security protocol. Then like the other poster suggested, try WPA instead of WPA2 and there are usually a couple of other choices as well, depending on your router.
    The other thing I would try if the WPA thing doesn't work (and I did this for my xbox when I was having similar issues with latency) is to just give the TP an assigned address and then put it in the DMZ outside the firewall. You really don't have to worry about viruses with the TP, its market share is so small no one will ever pay any attention to it, so it can safely roam the web without protection.

    Good luck.
    Yes I did update to 3.0.4 and installed preware with all the recommended patches.
  18. #18  
    Same problems. Stuttering video, using DIR655 router without any security protocol assigned. All other devices work perfectly on same network setup. Recently also bought a Blackberry playbook which streams flawlessly; absolutely perfect 1080p youtube vids at 50% router signal strength. Also get TP stutters playing simple mp3's streamed with Splashtop. Not sure what the problem is, but seems to be TP related more than anything else I can think of. I believe it has something to do with the way the TP's wifi works (or doesn't) when receiving streamed media over certain networks. Would love to resolve this one day; perhaps with 3.0.5.
  19. #19  
    Before 3.04 I could locally stream h.264 videos with the stock player and no patches without stuttering. Now, even SD videos stutter badly and videos played on the touchpad are not stutter free. By stutter free, I mean when I view a recorded news program its news crawl is still perfectly smooth. This was the case with 720p videos before 3.04 update.
    Last edited by levinite; 11/29/2011 at 01:10 PM.

Posting Permissions